1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Government gives heroin to junkies

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Balle, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think you missed the point. The point is that what will prevent these junkies of committing crimes if the system is not capable of dealing with their needs? They will seek for more heroin and they will continue to do crime in order to get there. Quite frankly this seems like a waste of money to me, you are giving them a little bit heroin, not enough to satisfy their needs so it won't really work as preventation. Or are these people actually put into forced locked up rehabilitation in the process? If not then I'm still not convinced of the effectiveness of this programme.

To me it seems better to put these people into locked rehabilitation to keep them from doing harm, there you can test on them with moderating their heroin usage but simply giving the heroin without forcing them to do anything else seems like horrible waste.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Morg,
    I tried to tell you that administering heroin to chronic addicts is a fist step of rehab.

Enforced withdrawal has a low rate of success. Relapse rates are high. Long term successful withdrawal means a real change of living circumstances and attitudes. You don't achieve that through force. You have to change the addicts mind. It is a very long and strenuous process.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Ragusa, Shaman:

100 years ago, heroin was freely available in the United States. I have never heard that Americans at the time were a nation of drug addicts.

The War on Drugs is a failure. For all practical purposes it is over; the drugs won. During the time that government has actively tried to enforce drug control, drug abuse has grown steadily. So has gang warfare over "turf". And so has other drug-related crime.

Alcohol prohibition didn't work, and neither does drug prohibition. Drug prohibition is not stopping people from becoming drug addicts. It is just creating more crime, and more powers for government.

Your fellow citizens are grown-ups. Let them make their own decisions. Yes, some of them will make dumb decisions, and pay for them, and hopefully learn something. But don't treat them like kids on an allowance who need politicians to run their lives for them. Politicians can't be trusted with such powers.

Actually, "Insanity" would be a pretty good description of today's War on Drugs.

4. Morgoroth

So these people are forced to rehab then? Because if not then there's nothing to stop them from just taking the heroin and ignoring all other help provided.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    No, they are given a chance to participate. They can refuse. Difference.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Morg wasn't talking about being forced. He was saying if there is a choice then they can just take the free heroin and go about their lives as per-usual with the government providing their 10:00am high every day.

7. Ragusa

Media:
  8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    See, this is what happens when people refuse to rethink their initial assumptions :p

9. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Indeed.

[ February 28, 2007, 01:00: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

10. Morgoroth

Considering that I've never heard of such projects and no articles was provided until the ones you just provided I think it's quite obvious that there's ignorance about it. I still don't like the fact that they are given heroin and not forced into rehab, but if this is proven to be a cost-effective method of reducing heroin related violence and increasing rehabilitation chances then I suppose it's worth a try.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.