1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gotta Love Those Yanks ;-)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Bane, May 15, 2001.

1. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Completely out of topic: Kit, you seem to have a trouble with your 'rass'-smiley. You don't have to use a capital p. :)

Geez Kit, you are learning! :)

[This message has been edited by Grovflab (edited May 29, 2001).]

2. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Jester,

I hate to point this out to you but you can't bomb Canada either. Any of our cities that are large enough to warrant dropping a bomb on are too close to your major cities. As for more conventional warfare, I just have one word for you: Vietnam. All of your high tech gadgets won't help you when your soldiers trip over their buck teeth and suspenders. If we wait long enough you guys will end up bombing yourselves by accident.

As for your abundance of everything, wait until you need some water. You can come up and beg and I might let you lick the sweat off my dog's balls.

3. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

And what war was that kitiara? That we supposedly lost? we've never had a war with canada, although we've had sevral with the british in which canadians where involved. Suprise, we didn't lose any of them.
    In the war of 1812 the british burned the white house. We proceeded to beat the crap out of the force that did it near baltimore a few days later.

Why would we WANT to bomb canada? you guys are a great market for our goods. The point is, unless a foreign nation poses a realistic threat to our national security, we just don't pay any attention.

As far as vietnam goes, americans weren't the only country over there getting their ass beat.
    The whole world is running around with an inferiority complex. The EU is comprised of HOW many countrys? what kind of comparision is that?
    touchy touchy people. If yer not a threat to us we don't pay attention to you.

4. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

And EU is never going to be a threat? You think that fifty years are enough for the big nations of europe to just forget their former status as major powers in the world?

By the way, whats wrong with many nations going together? Isn't that what the US is, when we get down to it?

5. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Jester, I'm not really touchy, just trying to be funny though American arrogance is a little severe. Your condescending remarks were not missed. The dog thing may have been over the top.

Kitiara is refering to a war of which I can't remember the date but was in the early 1800's I believe. I think war is a bit strong but it was an invasion that was beaten back by Canadians.

As for Vietnam; let's be honest here. That was your baby all the way. There may have been other countries involved on both sides but you guys called the shots (and missed).

For what it is worth, I'm quite happy the US are the kid with the biggest stick on the playground. Our countries share many similiar backgrounds and philosophies. Should any hostile country try and attack us the US would have to help out as they don't need a hostile force in their backyard. We can spend our money on more worth while pursuits such as education and health care. Both are in need of help right now but are still a far shot better than the US.

One last point: Our hockey players are far superior. :p :D

6. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

Just a note...24 canadians citizens hold american Congessional Medals of Honor.

And besides, I didn't say *I* didn't have any interest in countries who couldn't bomb us. hehe I said "we". It's true tho, whatever our government gets us involved with, we are still basically an isolationist country. The "average" american sees no reason to learn another language (why bother when english is the worlds most common second language?), and sees no reason to have any involvement with other countries unless we're threatened.

Take the opposition to NAFTA here. While a few of it's provisions are drastically flawed, it's necassary to compete with the EU and other trade alliances.

I'm a trucker, I've made quite a few runs into canada. The comments about "american suburb" and a "country named doug" wheren't really meant to be offensive. Canadians to me seem to just be really polite, inoffensive, "white bread" type people.

Yes, our education system sucks. I was watching C-span today and they where questioning an english conservative party canidate, and they where discussing whether 45 thousand pounds was enough to spend per student. we spend an average of 3,000 dollars per student per year, and it was something like 1.7 dollars to the pound last I checked.

We lost vietnam for the same reason the english lost the american revolution. They didn't have to win, they just had to not lose. And to think, there are still people in america who swear we lost that war because the polititians "hamstrung" the generals.

well, rome wandered into germany once and learned a lesson too. It happens to the best of empires :)

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Why is it Americans (US that is - s'pose America is a continent not a country) are so so keen to defend everything about the US, racking down on others in the process?

I've heard it said that those who bash gays the most are generally unsure about their own sexuality. Hmm, could there be a comparison? Do you guys really feel that persecuted over there in the "glorious land of the free", etc?

Seriously though, Bush is not a step forward for the US or the world at large. I do not have a problem with politicians making decisions for the best of their country. That does not include decisions that affect the rest of the world without care. A bad decision on a global scale must necessarily also be bad nationally. Short-termism is never the solution.

NOT everything is bigger, better, has more wheels and knobs etc over there. You gotta be able to accept that when people point it out.

Oh yeah, to those of you who live in sunny California.... Your weather might be better than in the UK, but at least I've got the power to run the Aircon!

:D

8. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

heh as soon as I actually get hit by a rolling blackout, maybe I'll figure it matters.

I was really ticked about my power bill doubling...to 50 bucks a month. Until i found out how much it costs to heat a home in nebraska.

If you havent bothered to read the thread, everyone in here stands up for their country when some one else trys dog it. Far from a uniquely american trait.

The difference is that everyone has a negative comment to make about us. Trust me, I'm far from being a rabid unthinking patriot, I've caught too many billy clubs at protests (ok, just two, but trust me, two is WAY too many)

Over three hundred thousand americans died in europe during WWII. We spent untold millions providing military support during the war and almost as much under the marshall plan helping europe recover after.

Ever play sports? have a teamate get pissy when you offer him a hand up after someone nocks him on his ass ? seems like the same thing on an international level.

In our own defense, we didn't elect Bush. He lost by over 300 thousand votes. It's called a bloodless coup.

America is far from being a collection of nations. As I understand it the EU generally only deals with trade issues and financial matters. I'm sure you're aware that the laws of our federal government supersede our state laws in all matters.

"those once powerfull nations..." so, you're hoping for a return to colonialism?

[This message has been edited by jester1137 (edited May 29, 2001).]

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Kit was talking about the French and Indian War...And we did pretty much get our asses kicked. IIRC, the French and Indians supported us against the British Colonial Forces in Canada.

As for the US wanting to protect EVERYTHING...I think part of it goes back to the Monroe Doctrine where President Monroe stated that wherever America had an interest in the Western Hemisphere we would defend that interest, or any perceived threat to the Liberty of the UNited States.

As for policing the rest of the world, we kind of picked up where the Brits left off after WWII. I don't know how everyone else feels about that, but I think having the US (and the UN to a small extent) as a global watchdog is not all that bad a thing. Think about it, in WWII, excpet for token forces we withdrew all all troops, nor did we make any claims to the countries we liberated. Not only that, the Marshall plan sent billions to war ravaged countries to rebuild their infrastructure and economy.

In the war against Iraq a few years ago. We stopped Hussein's aggression, neutralized his army as a regional threat, and went home.

Think about what the world might be like now, if we had never stepped to the forefront of the global stage. In the grand scheme, I think America has done pretty well by the world. And all we get in return is grief.

Well I guess Memorial Day was good this year, 'cause I'm all fired up now! :D

10. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Yes, everyone is right now trowing rotten fruit at the americans. Well, I don't have anything against you as a people or anything. The only thing I don't like is the way America behaves on the diplomatic scene.

On behalf of the EU, yes it is right now just a tradingpact, but if you can't see where things are developing, then you are blind. Why do you think, that most of the nations in EU is going to have a common coin? Not only will it help trading, but it will also help the integration proces.

Lastly, no I don't want to go back to colonization. What I'm talking about is global influence. The nations of europe just dosn't want to stand in the shadow of the US. This dosn't mean we are going to have a new cold war. Europe is so much similar to the US, than the Soviets ever was. Hell, even China is slowly evolving into democracy with market economics.

11. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Um jester
    i think the main reason the US will not be bombing canada would be the billions of dollars in electricity they owe us... not to mention the fresh water we ship and lumber.. all things that the all mighty americans have distroyed on their own land.

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

To start with the French and Indian War or in Europe the 7 years war was in the 1700's not 1800's. 1756 to 1763 and we (the English at the time) now the US did win. But that was a fight with France not Canada. Why would the US ever consider attacking Canada? They are the best neighbor we could ever ask for. Canada and the US share the longest undefended boarder in the world. Hell, half the time people in the US forget that Canada is a foreign country.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm not going to argue any side here, but Kit's last statement struck me as funny... If you think that the US doesn't invade Canada because we owe you money or desire your raw materials, you certainly don't understand why many wars are started! :)

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Thanks for correcting me...I knew I had that part wrong...

I also can't believe my plot for Canadian conquest was blown by Kitiara...Oh well, I'll have to re-vamp my plans for invading Mexico :rolleyes: :D

Just for the record...I haven't met anyone from Canada I didn't like...But then again, I've never met Ty Domi :D

15. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

ok ok so my last remark wasnt exactly that thought out...lol

I still say that you need us around for some good things...Like our Weed for one :D

And i just dont agree with your new presidents ideas on energy conservation. Hasnt anyone down there noticed that our natural resources and ozone layer are rapidly decreasing???

BTW i was refering to the war of 1812 which was over the now long undefended border. (IIFRC)

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited May 30, 2001).]

16. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Did anyone mention the Kyoto protocol? :D

I was told on another board, that this was a conspiracy by the rest of the world against the US industry. Ya, right. :rolleyes:

17. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

It's a shame we didn't sign the Kyoto accords, when we use the most resources and are the second largest polution producer (yes, the russians still produce more polution than us!!! whoo hoo we're number two)
    wait, what was my point?....oh yeah, it makes the accords almost meaningless. If we follow bush and start burning more coal, converting more plants from natural gas to oil, the whole world pays the price.
    What can I say? we're a funny nation. When people in africa poach gorillas or people in south america practice slash and burn agriculture so they can feed their families and survive, americans are the first to condemn them.
    Then we allow a man to become president who wants to destroy hundreds of thousands of acres of unspoiled arctic wilderness just so we can drive oversized cars for a few cents less.
    You should know though, that the plan is hugely unpopular. A member of our senate just left the republican party in protest.
    No republican has switched partys in 20 years or so, so I think you might realize that alot of the country is very strongly opposed to his policies.

18. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Maybe it's just me, but recent outbreaks of battle in the East (Hussien or Gadhafi) seem to be science projects for America. The whole issue can be candy coated with ideals of halted world aggression or the end to oppression of peaceful nations, but in reality American warfare gets put to the ultimate test. What better place to try out new weaponry than on the battle field? Of course Canada was right there as well fulfilling it's peace keeping duties :rolleyes: by performing bombing runs.

These leaders are viewed as tyrants and psychopaths, and their political (or terrorist) movements must be stopped. Heh, too funny. Don't you think it would be possible for some special forces assasination group to go wipe out these errant leaders? The US needs men such as Hussien to be in power because they know too much about them. Why kill off an enemy that is predictable only to have him replaced by an unknown?

It's sad that entire nations get engulphed in stereotypical generalizations, Canada and the US included. I've met and worked with several people from Middle Eastern countries, and suddenly the animosity that they hold towards Americans becomes understandable. Perspectives change when you are no longer the biggest or strongest kid in the playground and your way of life becomes a struggle for survival.
    I remember going to bars when I was younger, and I would see some young fellow get a bit drunk and obnoxious. Suddenly these pumped up, steroid freak bouncers would kick the crap out of the kid and proceed to congratulate each other over their great achievement. My thoughts at the time -'If only I was bigger or better at fighting, I would teach those bullies a lesson.' Stupid analogy, but quite similar - Americans can be a bit like those bouncers.

19. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Jester, thanks for the information, that is at least somewhat promising.

Lord Moeken, good post as well. I don't think sending an assasination team in would be accepted by the rest of the world. That would set the stage for some real ugliness wouldn't it? I mean who'd be next?

If you are looking for another more devious motive, other than protecting the free world, during the Gulf War, I'd look no further than oil. I don't believe that they (the US) just wanted to test there stuff

20. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Elessar, obviously you haven't been reading enough Tom Clancy - Americans send in trained assassins, bump off Hussien, secretly leave a maple leaf pin lying under his bed. The US is safe and their bumbling neighbors to the North are pinned with the dastardly deed!
    MUHHAAHAHAHA. :D

You do have a good point about oil. With a vested interest in cheap reserve exploitation, the US is indeed supporting it's own best interests by ironing out middle east disputes. Money is alway the motivating factor behind wars (for the US anyways).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.