1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gotta Love Those Yanks ;-)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Bane, May 15, 2001.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh please... *I* live in LA and I've never seen a gun on anyone but the police. That's not to say that there aren't dangerous places in LA, but LA is a VERY big place...

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I like the carriers...I just get a little tired of being the world police force...and getting shit about it!

BTA - YOU don't have a gun?!?!?!? I thought you lived in Compton? Or was it Anaheim? ;)
    I don't have a gun either...I was just trying to be funny. I do however, have a bastard sword and a claymore! I like that up close and personal kind of home defense!

3. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] dont forget those high taxes also pay for our medical, imagine paying $10,000 just to give birth...

Not to mention the number of Public School shootings you guys have down there.. and you say you have never seen a gun! Well your 7-18 year olds sure have!

Canada Rules!

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited May 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited May 23, 2001).]

4. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well Kit, we would be going a bit far if we didn't admit that Canadian kids are just as screwed up as American kids.

BTA - I agree that LA is a big place and there are definately safe areas, but the point is that there 'are' areas that you just have to avoid. I live in Edmonton, and as far as Canadian cities go it is quite average in size, but I feel safe anywhere here.

Coming from Alberta, I get my share of redneck exposure as well. I just love my dawg and my pickup truck!

And Bel, hockey has just become one of those main stream money grabs with crazy salary levels and poor attitudes. Canada just can't compete financially. I sure as heck am not going to dish out $60 for a game more than a couple of times a year. I get more enjoyment out of junior league teams who are just playing to impress everyone. Plus the Oilers are out so I'm pouting. Oh, exuse me, my order of sour grapes has just arrived. ;)

The US and Canada - loads the same - but a few major differences.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, Moeken, I won't dispute that there are places I wouldn't want to go walking alone after dark in LA, but the way you put it, it sounds like LA is a dangerous place with pockets of safety here and there and that's just blowing things out of proportion.

I have lived almost my entire life in various parts of LA and have never felt my safety was threatened.

Admittedly, I've never been in Compton or Wilmington for an extended stay (though I have been to both on occasion), but by the same token, there was never any need to...

6. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] BTA, I mean no offence with my comments. Mostly I'm just blowing smoke out my butt cause I've never been to LA before, or very many places in the mainland US for that matter. Most of what I hear is a product of news media crap stories anyway.

I think many Canadians have an inferiority complex when we look at Americans. 'Those big bad capitalists to the south are so self absorbed that they don't know what's going on in the rest of the world.' The underlying problem is that Canadians need to be more proud of themselves and their country. I've worked with many people of many different nationalities, and almost all will agree that Canada is the best place to live and work.

Maybe we are too polite and we let people run over us. Maybe we do pay high taxes and have a basket case for a prime minister. And maybe the US surpasses Canada in technological, industrial and economic endeavours, but I wouldn't trade my country for anything. Canadians can look at themselves and exercise humility, we feel no need to boast about ourselves - we already know that we are numbero uno!

Oh, as far as American's go BTA, you seem like a pretty good guy. Are you sure you aren't half Canadian? ;)

7. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I've been in the PJ's at night. Its nice there, almost as nice as spanish harlum. By the way, I'm white.

WHo knows where i am talking about. :p

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh hey Moeken, no offense taken at all. I just feel the need to try to clarify misconceptions people have about what a dangerous place the US and more specifically LA is, that's all. :)

And as to being half Canadian, you're really not that far off! My mother was born in Canada and my dad was born in North Dakota (which is pretty much the same as Canada ;) ) and both have friends/relatives in Canada... :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 24, 2001).]

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

not to flame anyone, but the US really seem to be the weirdest place on earth =)

It is probably due to what I hear from the news and see in the TV, but how would I know? I never been there :)

I think everybody rather want to be where they are, perhaps a question on habit, I dunno, but I live in denmark and can't think of any other place to live (even though we have the highest tax in world :-/)

just a final comment. Bush... why, oh why was he elected ;)

10. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] because he (as bad as he is) is better that Al Gore. not by much if any though.

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Bush - low INT
    Gore - low CHR

seems to me that's proof of the INT vs CHR thing that was going on in another topic. Of course, this is an ignorant scot speaking.

12. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Bush could have a fantabulous office and portray leaderisticing qualities if only his speech writers were a little more advisorshipful in the ever elusivistic english language :D

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think Bush has gotten a bad rap on the low INT thing. He is actually very intelligent. The goal of a good leader is to surround himself we people who are smarter than himself. Bush has done exactly that, and he is allowing his key people to do their jobs.

America has made more progress in the last 125 days than it had in the the 8 years prior! Is that b/c of low CHA or low INT? Doubt it!

Anyways, my president is Charlton Heston! (I think only we "yanks" will get that one! :D )

14. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] *Looks for a gun to shoot off.*

15. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

son of star wars........tax tax tax tax tax.....

16. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is bush better than gore?

Is an enema better than a high colonic?

17. Elessar Gems: 5/31

America has made more progress in the last 125 days than it had in the the 8 years prior! Is that b/c of low CHA or low INT? Doubt it!

Bullshit, Bush is an ass, he's actually going to start taking steps backwards. If the world viewed the Americans as a bunch of selfish bastards before this clown came along I can't even begin to imagine what world opinion will be after he's been in office for a term. He's actually going to start using coal again. Start drilling for oil everywhere he can without any concern for environmental impact.

Anyways, my president is Charlton Heston! (I think only we "yanks" will get that one! :D ) No, not just you "Yanks". Most of the world are educated beyond their own borders unlike the vast majority of our inbred cousins to the south.

:cool:

18. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

LOL ya know, I don't know much about the government of Argentina....I don't think that makes me ignorant or inbred, anymore than my limited knowledge of canadian government. Canada is basically a Giant american suburb full of people named "doug" and has very little impact on world politics.
    My home state has a larger population and a larger Gross national product.

Seriously, no insult intended, at least not more than minor insult intended. Just because you all know who our president is and none of us can name your prime minister,doesn't mean we're ignorant or inbred. Put simply, your policies(sp) have much less effect on us than ours do on you.
    You can't bomb us. Only nations who can really hold the intrest of many americans.

19. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Jester, you ramble on about GNP, as if it's the only important measure in the world. Well, let's see: First of all, EU has a bigger GNP than the US. Secondly, the minister in question was the German prime minister. If we go down to a national level, Germany is in the top 3 when it comes to GNP.

I don't exspect you to know the name of the prime minister where I live. (No, I'm not german!) But I do exspect your president to know this. This is something called diplomatic respect.

20. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

LOL canada an american suburb... i have never heard anything so halarious in my life!!

For your info, the only war ever fought between Canada and the U.S.. was won by Canadians :p (better?)

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited May 28, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.