1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good wizard build?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Orichifunk, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Wizards are meant to start out weak and get incredibly strong. It's all about balance. Monks are similar. Fighters, OTOH, start out fairly okay and get reasonably powerful but not incredibly powerful. See what I mean?

So yes, you're gonna struggle a bit until about the interlude of SoU.

How are you playing your wizard? Sleep is the main spell you should be casting at this point in the campaign. What alignment is your wizard? If he's Good, then cast Protection from Good on Xanos (and your summons if you want). That way they'll be immune to mind spells from good opponents (in this case, your wizard). In other words, you cast sleep when Xanos is surrounded by gnolls or kobolds and they all fall asleep but he doesn't. You can then pick them off with ease.

By the interlude you'll be shooting fireballs and taking out whole rooms full of zombies and you'll start thinking "hey, maybe wizards aren't so bad afterall."

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, I never though of using Sleep. I always thought it was better to kill enemies than sending them to sleep.

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

When they're asleep you can coup de grace them instantly, which is a heck of a lot more efficient than having to hack away at them in actual combat.

Also, as was said way at the start of the thread, try using your wizard as a fighter until you get 3rd and 4th level spells (and even then its a good tactic when you run out of blasting spells). Buff him to the eyeballs with mage armour and/or shield, bull's strength, flame weapon and suchlike and have him attack from behind Xanos, who at very least has plenty of hitpoints, and your summons. If you find your buffs arent lasting long enough and its too hard to rest, try taking the Extend Spell feat. This tactic worked splendidly for my wizard, although he was in the OC with its hordes of paltry grunts to fight through rather than SOU where you learn to respect gnolls and kobolds. He was also an elf, which gave him access to the longsword among other benefits. Still, its a sound tactic as arcane combat buffs are much more effective in NWN than other DnD rpgs.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, just reached 5th level which is much better than 4th level. Now I have a Dire Wolf, a Fireball, an extra Magic Missile, and Extended Shield. Still, the spells run out fairly quickly which means resting is still a pain. Hopefully I can use the summons and my longbow to keep going for a bit longer after the offensive spells run out (and there are really only about 3-4 useful offensive spells anyway so they run out pretty quickly).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.