1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Monk Builds?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Clixby, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like playing as a Monk, but I have problems with allocating stat points. I don't like the recommended choice, as it seems a bit too mediocre, but I'm never quite sure what the most important attributes of a Monk are. What are recommended allocations of stat points?

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

basically at least 14 in wisdom (if i remember monks spell progresion correct). after that i would aim for at least 16 in both dex and str, then choose if you are going to build a dex monk or a str monk. one of the few good multiclassed monk builds i remember is a monk/bard1/RDD10. giving the monk an insane str and armor.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think you've got Rangers and Monks confused, Equester. Monks don't have any spells.

One particularly indestructible build (at least at higher levels; monks don't do so well on low levels) is the Monk 20/Dwarven Defender 20. I started with a str 14/dex 15/con 18/int 10/wis 12/cha 6. You could lower wis to 10 and increase str to 15 if you like. Increase str and con, the con is so you can get Epic Damage Reduction for added indestructibility.

4. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

i probably have Henkie, i was under the impression they had limited access to priest spells, most be paladins im thinking of.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are enough strength enhancing items out there, so I concentrate on wisdom and dex.

Four levels of a fighter class nets you an extra attack (and max attacks of anyone in the game).

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I usually go pureclass, so what is the best part of the overall level progression to take levels in another class?

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pure class is best most of the time.

In HotU though, taking four levels of fighter has some real benefit. Ambidexterity, two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting, weapon focus kama, weapon specialization kama -- make a mean dual welding monk who (at 20th level) makes 10 attacks per round. You're basically making your own weapon in HotU and can start with two +4 kamas and add an incredible amount of bonus damage (and make the kamas +10). This is probably the best fighter in the game -- especially when you add epic prowess, epic weapon focus kama and epic weapon specialization kama.

Taking four fighter levels always gives an extra attack at 20th level. So for a non-dualling monk you would still be able to take weapon focus unarmed and weapon specialization unarmed. With haste, flurry of blows, and circle kick you will have 9 attacks per round at 20th level.

The only problem with the 4 fighter levels is it delays getting the 1d20 damage (the +2 damage from WS compensates for the earlier boosts, but this delay hurts a bit). This is not an issue for the dualling monk.

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31

so, if i were going for the dualing Monk, would it be recommended to take the fighter levels early on?

9. T2Bruno

Media:
    That really depends on how you play and what special abilities of the monk you rely on. But the added hit points, to hit bonus and damage are especially helpful at lower levels.

It also depends on what game you are playing and when you will get two decent kamas. Although I've heard the offhand weapon can be something other than a kama while still retaining the unarmed bonuses of the monk.

In HotU you basically need to build your own kama, so having the fighter levels early may not be the best -- take 15 monk levels at start (quivering palm), level to 16 to get the ever useful 1d20 damage. Then you can take the 4 fighter levels while you're trying to find good kamas.

An alternative is the versatile monk -- 2 levels of monk, then four levels of fighter, monk the rest of the way. At 6th level choose weapon specialization in both kama and unarmed (you need WF in both prior to that). I had fun with this monk, it was a bit overkill as I tended to rely on one fighting form.

[ June 19, 2007, 18:13: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Here are my recommendations...Please read each one carefully...

NWN OC w/out HotU installed
    - Maximum Level 20
    - Start off as a Dwarf or Human Monk to avoid the dual class experience penalty.
    - Recommeded Starting Stats: STR 14 DEX 15 CON 10-14 WIS 10-14 INT 10 CHA 6-8
    - From level 2 through 5 select Fighter levels and depending on your style of select the feats to increase fist or kama damage and to hit,I personally prefer fist.
    - When receiving stat increase every 4 levels add the value to STR, DEX or WIS; depending upon the type of character you are building

HotU
    - Maximu Level 40
    - Start off with a human or Dwarf
    - Start level 1 off as a Monk, level 2-6 as a Fighter, Levels 7-20 as a Monk, Level 21 as a Fighter, Level 22-30 as a Monk, and Level 31-40 as a Assasin or Rogue.
    - Select feats to increase your attack and damage of the fist, select EPIC feats to increase STR and to receive EPIC Kia Strike
    - Add stat points into WIS until it is 21 or 22 and from there add any remainders into STR.

This character keeps AC bonuses when caught flat footed, has d20 weapon, 8 attacks a round, natural 38% magic resistance, high AC bonus and is able to by pass damage reduction without any weapons/gloves, and if you want you can design the character to open locks, remove traps, UMD(SPELLS) etc... Another thought is going Dwarven Defender for the added HP and forget about opening locks and removing traps, and Use Magical Device

I tried both builds out and I have to say they are both excellent 40 lvl builds; however, the Monk/Fighter/Dwarven Defender kick the other monk build butt when going toe to toe due to the extra AC and bonuses receives from the dwarven stance.

11. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Hotu wont get you much longer then lvl 27 unless you cheat

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @T2Bruno: what do you think about WM levels, are they a complete waste for a Monk dual wielding kamas in HotU?

13. Clixby Gems: 13/31

Equester, I'm interested in your RDD Monk, since I can imagine it being insane. How did you work out the level progression/ ability distribution/ feats?

14. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

i didn't. i read about it on Bioware and just started a Hotu game to test it quick, because you get leveled to lvl 15 there. as far asi remember its an unarmed built, but im clueless right now about feat selection, ill try and find you a link to it.

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    Caradhras: You really only need one level of monk to get the additional attacks. So sure, you could Have a Monk(?)/Fighter(4+)/WM(7) but I think you'd want to start as Monk(1)/Fighter(7)/WP(7). A lot of attacks per round with a good chance of decent crit damage (even though the crit damage of the kama isn't very great). Take the monk level early so you don't need to take exotic weapons.

16. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Thanks T2Bruno, this build looks good. At the end of HotU this character would have at least 15 Monk levels. Interesting.

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That Monk/Fighter/WM looks like a good build for a Kama Monk. Just what I was looking for, too.

I was wondering if anyone here knows a decent Monk/Cleric build. I haven't been able to come up with a satisfactory consistent build idea. It seems there would be good synergies of the Monk with the high wis that the Cleric would demand, but whenever I try something out, it always comes out... well, wrong. Inconsistent, if you will. I'd appreciate any ideas you could give.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Monk/Cleric build just requires all ability score points to be placed into WIS and level up as you feel fit... a 20/20 Monk/Cleric or you could go with a 20/16/4 Monk/Cleric/Fighter for the weapon specializations, if you plan the character correctly.

19. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The monk adds some nice abilities to almost any class. However, the cleric/monk is less synergistic than you might think. The only thing the high wisdom of the cleric will help with is stunning fist. It could help with ac, but I suggest you use the fact the cleric can cast in armor and so I'd rather use armors than count on the ac bonus of the wis modifier.

But, for a Monk/Cleric build, I'd go with an archer type character. Take the Animal domain to increase the strength of your summoned animals and take the Zen Archery feat. That way you maximise the effect of your high wisdom by also adding it to your attack.

For maximal effect I'd go with a Monk X/Cleric X/Fighter 4 build, keeping the monk and cleric levels equal or as close to equal as possible and taking all 4 fighter levels before level 20. By doing this you get a "normal" bab of 15 at level 20 (instead of 14 without fighter and equal monk/cleric) and you get to (epic) weapon specialize in your ranged weapon. The only race of doing this without penalty is the Dwarf.

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Right now I am playing a dwarf Monk/Fighter/DD

This character is prime to stand in the front line to dish out and receive damage. My goal is level the Monk class to 16, Fighter class to 6, and DD class to 18. Nothing wrong with 9 points in damage reduction.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.