1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good beer from your country

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Obsidian Stout is good. Sierra Nevada is also good.

'My bar' in school was a dive with old motorcycle tire tracks inside and on the ceiling a replica of the Cistine Chapel with God reaching down and touching fingers with man - only in this version God was handing man a PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon). PBR is one of my favorite swills for nostalgic reasons.

I've heard a story about why American mass beer (Bud, Miller etc) is like it is, don't know how true it is: The American GI's left to go overseas and fight World War ? (can't recall which actually). This hurt the beer manufacturers. So, they tried to find a new market. Therefore, they did some research and started making beer that would appeal to the women who were at home working in factories etc more. They catered to their taste and targeted them with advertising. And so the lighter, less full/watered down American mass manufactured beer was born. So I've heard anyways.

2. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Here in Finland there are some good beere's

¤ Lapin Kulta very good
    ¤ Karjala good but not best
    ¤ Koff somewhat good

3. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Newcastle Broon Ale :thumb:

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I know also a story why the big American beer companies better be avoided. Prohibiton succeded in killing off breweries and places where beer was drunk. Then they tried to produce beer-substitutes (something like panaché) which would quench the thrist for beer a little bit. As prohibition ended, beer would be made again but it would be close in taste to the beer-substitutes. As traditional-distribution-channels where killed-off in the prohibition-time too, it was hard for other beers to regain their place and recovery wasn't so easy. So it's the ugly-shadow of prohibition, I've heard.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, I'm not an beer expert. I rather drink wine or more...potent stuff. But I have to say, that the best german beer comes from bavaria, like Lowenbrau or Paulaner. The bavarians just got to have some purpose, I suppose. ;)

I also can tell you the worst german beer: Kolsch. It tastes like, tastes like... :hmm: Just imagine used dishwater and there you have it. :D

6. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

"Nastro Azzurro" from the Peroni group is not bad, but ours is more a wine country...

7. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

See the other Dutchies and add Alfa.

8. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Bah.. Beer is not exactly my favourite beverage.. The only reason I drink it, is to get drunk... But the beer we have that's LEAST dreadful is tuborg..

This is the list that Denmark produces:

Tuborg
    Carlsberg
    Albani
    Harboe
    I can't think of anymore right now...

9. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I don't drink beer here in america unless it is Homebrewed. This way you can get the right flavor that suits your tastes(and its cheap). The only downside is it takes a couple weeks to make.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Rally, I'm surprised - just a little - that being from PA you don't drink Rolling Rock. I think it's great. Texas beer (Lone Star anyone?), even micros, is not very good.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Too light for me, Chandos. Generally I prefer ales, porters, and stouts to lagers.

12. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm so glad that another aussie hasn't chimed in with our contributions to the lager world. Aussie beers are truly the masters of the game. I shall name some of the more potent and/or better ones.

Queensland Brews.
    • XXXX - Not fantastic, but still not a bad drop. This is considered one of the better beers in Australia, mainly because it is cheap and tastes less like cat piss and more like a lager should. Costs around 24 dollars for a slab. Pay anything from AUS $20 - $30.
      *** - 3 stars
    New South Wales Brews.
    • Tooheys New - Again, not great, but not bad. I don't like it, mainly becuase its a NSW beer and not a QLD one, but still considered good for drinking after mowing the lawn or a game of footy. Pay up to $30 in local areas for Tooheys new. Maybe $35 interstate, Thats pushing it though.
      ** - 2 stars

Tooheys Old - One of the few stouts that Australia produces. Not good, but pretty much the industry standard. Pay up to $35 locally. Don't buy it interstate.
      *** - 3 stars

Carlton Midstrength - Another drinking beer. Not bad for a NSW effort, watery aftertaste. Pay up to $25 dollars a carton (By the way, a carton consitsts of 24 stubbies, a stubbie being a 375ml bottle. A quart and a bit for those using imperial system)
      **1/2 - 2 and a half stars

Hahn - Great drop. Not spectacular, but something that can be downed one after the other. I'd say about $27 a carton.
      *** - 3 stars
    Victoria Brews
    • Victoria Bitter (VB) - Not great, but not bad. Hopsy, but good. Sort of heady, but not in a bad way. Pay up to $25 locally.
    Tasmanian Brews.
    These are probably the best that Australia produces.
    • Cascade Premium Light - The drinking beer in Australia. The water that Tasmanian brewers use in fresh spring water, and it is reflected in the quality of the beer. Great drinking beer. Get this if you can.
      **** - 4 stars

James Boags - Again, this is the beer to drink. It is REALLY heady, but probably the best beer that can be found in AUstralia ANYWHERE. Get this beer if you want to experience Aussie beer.
      ***** - 5 stars.
    People may wonder why I did not mention Fosters. This is because we do not make fosters anymore, and if you are buying it thinking "Great, Australian Beer (especially if in America) then you aren't. In fact, if you are in America, you will find that it is in fact brewed in Colarado. Not here.

The scoring system is out of 5 stars.

13. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

this is from a microbrew in Chicago. Goose Island honkers Ale.

14. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Here in Croatia, best beer is black: Osijecko

We don't have any good "white" beers, except that Ozujsko is most popular and it can be compared to Amstel, waterly without much taste. Important: Don't drink it after some better beer!

And i am interested in alcohol precentage in beers, here all beers have around 5%, but i heard that American beer have mostly less. Is it true?

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

In the Philippines, there are only 2 companies slugging it out. And they are:

San Miguel Corp. for San Miguel Beer
    and Asia Brewery Inc. for Beer na Beer.

Under these companies, they have several viants, from light to pale pilsen to lager. They also carry some of the international brands such as Lone Star, Budweiser, J. Boag and Sons, Miller, and others. But if you want Asian Beer, San Miguel Beer is hailed as one of the best beer in Asia.

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes! I found my dad's long lost beer enceclopedia!
    Now I finally found an answer: San Miguel from the Philippines is the Big Big brother of the Spanish San Miguel. I can finally sleep now.

17. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I love Budweiser - so sue me!!!

Also a big fan of Shiner Bock - go Shiner, Texas!

18. Lobrenzo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hmm
    GUINNES - GUINNESS - GUINNESS!!
    the ONLY beer there is!!
    i kinda live off it...
    god i love guinness

corona is ok...
    but guinness!

cheers dublin!

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] :love: :love: Laško :love: :love:

Brewed in my hometown :1eye:

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Now I get it. The Spanish San Miguel wasn't bad. I mean, initially not exceptional, but I've drunk much worse. After some time though, I appreciated the specific taste. When in Spain, I used to carry a litre bottle of it in contingency slot. It was pretty good with orange juice. Or was it Fanta?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.