1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Golem Killing Guide

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by toast, Dec 20, 2000.

1. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This is my first post in this forum, so I wanted to make it a good one.

SPOILER
    . Definitive Golem Killing Guide (sorta)

I got stuck in a room with 8 golems, of varying type, and they consistently kicked my ass up and down. For hour upon hour upon hour. 20-30 times trying to get through. Two sides, each having an iron golem with 2 stone and a clay behind him. The second the iron golem went down, they others were upon us. Minsc (lvl 12) would hardly ever get a hit on the iron, as he'd take a hit and his
    AC would shoot from -8 to +18! Don't know if that's a bug or not, but either way, he'd go real quick after that, no spell or potion would keep him alive long enough to retreat. And he'd be dead dead. No restoration availabe. Gone. A game without Minsc, is like a day without hamsters. Only worse. So, not being quite as dense as him, I finally figured these types of golems out. I'd read that spells just don't work on golems, but I tried 'em all. Well, level 1-6 any ways. I'd also read that lightning or that polymorphing into a jelly would work, but not for me. A few spells DID work, but only one stood out. Melf's Meteors put a serious long range hurtin' on 'em, without reducing their magic resistance. (ok, so I didn't try the jelly thing. I normally don't use my mages as front-liners.)
    I tried fire, ice, piercing, +1, +2 arrows, etc.
    A bunch of bolts, lightning, biting, +2, etc.

So here goes. Stats are for pumped up mages and fighters, either magically (draw on holy might, etc.) or uhh.. magically (gauntlets, etc). Strength anywhere from 21 to 18.

Iron Golem
    Melf's Meteors 4-12 points per hit, 3-4 hits per round, 44-70 points per spell. Fast and deadly.
    normally +3, with +3 fire damage. Got no fire damage, but up to 5 shots per round. you get one meteor per level. (Aerie finally paid her own way)
    After using 3 Lower Resistence spells (-21% per spell), Magic Missile worked, as did Enfeeble. Magic Missile 4-20 points per spell
    None others. None.

+3 weapons minimum, long swords (blade of roses), hammer (giant killer), flail (of ages), spears.
    Guess spears kind pick away at 'em.
    +2 sling using +1 Sunstone 10-12 pts/hit,(best bullet in the game, 1d4+2, +2fire, +1thaco)
    no arrows, no bolts
    He throws a ton of poison clouds, so have a bunch of clear air spells and protection from poisons on hand.

Stone Golem
    Melf's did 3-6 points per hit, ~45 points per spell, m.missile 4-14 pts/spell
    +2 blunt weapons (mace, flail, hammer, club, morning star), spears.
    +2 sling using +3 bullets 14-16pts/hit, +1 Sunstone 15+2-17+2 pts/hit,(best bullet in the game, 1d4+2, +2fire, +1thaco)
    no arrows, no bolts

Clay Golem
    Melf's only did 2pts per hit, ~20 per spell, but after the others, he's just a breeze.
    +2 blunt weapons only, my monk (lvl.12) got a 46 point fist hit.
    no arrows, no bolts, sunstone on a +2 sling did 1 pt

I'm sure Sling of Everhard would work too.
    I've heard that Azuredge and the Short Bow of Geisen do 1-3 pts per hit, but I didn't have 'em at this point.
    A high level mage using Protect from Magical Weapons could do it too, just with a lot of spells (they don't last long), and some patience.

So after a couple of frustrating 2am nights, they went down in a few minutes.

As for the Adamantium, your on your own, but this ought to give you some direction.

As for strategy, limit the number of baddies that can get at you at any one time. Cycle fighters in and
    out, healing them, and sending 'em back to the front. Other than that, your normal defensive spells.
    Haste, Chant, Armors, Clean Air, Protect from poisons, etc.

Ring(s) of the Ram will work always (15-30 points on average).
    Ring of Earth Elemental Control works sometimes too. Rarely, but sometimes. If it does, grab the biggest lump of whatever and pound away on the others.

[This message has been edited by toast (edited December 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by toast (edited December 22, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2017
  2. desperado Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Have you try to cast limited wish and ask the genie to be more experienced? That is a pretty tough fight (again golems) if you're unprepared...

And of course, welcome here and congratulation for your first post..!!!

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited December 20, 2000).]

3. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Crom Faeyr is awesome against golems...
    You can find a Scepter against golems too, killing golems in one blow (if saving throw failed).
    Sling of Everard works well.

But, and I don't understand why, the Dwarf Hammer (+3) doesn't work when thrown... though it works well in closed fighting style. Sounds weird.

4. JohnnyV Gems: 3/31

nice strategy toast.
    I just grabbed the stuff in nalia's keep while hasted and ran then closed the door behind me. latter in the game when you get crom fayer and you have fighters with -11 armor class golems are no big deal but in chapter 2 that was quite an accomplishment to kill them.
    recently viconia took on two stone golems by herself with the flail of ages. they only hit her once and it took her a while to kill them. I'm trying to get viconia's percentage of kills up, Jaheria is sneering at her (only in my mind not really in the game)

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Good first post, but man was I worried you were about to say "get em stuck in a door and whack away until dead" for the iron golem and then get ripped for the next 20 posts. I've never had a problem with any golem really except the Adrdamentium. I tried, i really did, to stand toe to toe with him. But eventually I ran like the coward I was on that day. All others I could whack with minimum problems.

6. toast Gems: 7/31

I was gonna save that strategy for later...

next to my 'what's the best party' topic...

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

With a level 8 party, I went head on with the golems in Nalia's keep. Casting haste on Minsc and Jahiera, they proceeded to make short work of all the golems. Of course, I had Liralcor.

8. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] That brings up a question. I cleared Nalia's keep - except for the single Iron Golem (used Sanctuary on Aerie to bypass him after getting slaughtered a coupla dozen times) and the Umber Hulks, who I distracted with delicious dog stew. But the keep has been labeled clear, and I've moved on. My question is: Are the Iron Golem and Hulks still waiting for me upstairs if I return to the keep? Or were they purged when the keep was given over to me?

9. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

If you recieved the dialouge from Nalia about becoming 'Lord to her Keep' then everything is GONE. Everything in the chests, monsters, etc is gone.

Perhaps the hired gaurds clean house and steal and kill everything... or maybe Nalia's Aunt is a Golem Killer! Her mouth alone could do the job.

10. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When I walked into the room full of Umber Hulks Minsc was confused or whatever. I quickly backed everyone off and closed the door leaving Minsc to fend for himself. I could hear his cries of pain through the thick Oak door, I thought he was gone but strangly enough, he chomped through them with that talking sword. When he killed them all, I waited till his confusion wore off and went in to find he had 1HP left. I thought this was very lucky considering there was a bug which would not let me save or sleep which was corrected after loading the patch. Just thought I'd have my say.

11. lym Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Excuse me "toast" but are you the "toast" in JA2 forum?

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Or Steve from Razor 1911 ala Toast from Toronto? :)

Syl...

13. toast Gems: 7/31

toast in the BG Dungeon

toast at a q3 board

toast at a draken board

toast at a UT board

toast at a couple of game editing boards

in short... I'm toast.

but I know the razor Toast. (capital T)

1st game of quake many years ago with friends... "dude, you are gonna be toast"

and so it was.

for a little while anyways... (yuk yuk yuk)

(Is it cool to mention razor1911 in here?)

14. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Or toast like the thing that pop up from my toaster?

[This message has been edited by Wassup (edited December 21, 2000).]

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] toast, leave Razor be. Those kind of topics are more appropriate for the plethora of warez channels on EFnet. But I'm sure you know that. ;)

16. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

Why does it seem I'm the only one to think of this? Somewhere before I went to the keep (mind you I went early, too), I got a ring of Earth Elemental Control. I used it on the big MoFo golem in the room where there was 8 of em and just took a few items at a time, in essence having the iron golem fight 1 or 2 of the smaller ones at a time. This worked really well. By the time I cleaned the room of all the goodies and the other golems were squashed, he was very weak and easily whooped up on by my party.

...ANYONE else do this? Am I special?

17. Nightal Gems: 7/31

Toast, great first post!

Keep up the good work!

18. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I'm about to confront the golems (particularly the dreaded Adamantine Golem) in the Windspear Hills dungeon. Will the Ring of Earth Elemental Control work on an Adamantine Golem? Has anyone tried that?

19. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Yep! It does work... but I still don't know how to whack him! He just doesn't wanna die!!!

20. desperado Gems: 3/31

Veteran

If I remember, you shouldn't be able to take control of a Golem with an Earth Elemental Ring in P&P rules but i didn't try it in BG2. Golems aren't Elemental from the Elemental Planes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.