1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Going to church

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Volsung, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Strange topic. Related maybe, take a look at the original purposes of the invention of the assembly. In order to convey the message of the religion, pass down tenets, instruct the assembly, etc...there had to be a common venue. It would be way to cumbersome to send the priests around to every individual they wanted to control, although there was some of that too.

Today with convenience of mass media, modern tech, etc there really no need of it other than a means to give an appearance of sanctity. Does it really matter if I'm a devout follower of god or not as long as other people believe I am?

2. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There is also, as Math said, scripture in the bible that declares that those who believe in God need to gather with each other on a regular basis in order to strengthen their faith. So while I *don't* think it matters what day you go, though sunday is the logical day, being the day of rest, and I know it doesn't matter how often you go.... and really it doesn't matter where it is held. Church could be a group of people that meet once or twice a week in someone's basement. All the bible commands is that you find those people and gather with them.

And on the subject of tithing... Tithing is designed, as many have already said, to help the church pay for things. And more than just the salary of the clergy. The payment for the building, rent, plumbing, insurance, upkeep. Churches also use the donations to plant other churches, to help out the needy within the church and to give to charities. Tithing is usually set (or at least at the church I went to) at 10% of the person's income, and that's an extragvagent amount to pay, the general thought is, because of how much the church supplies in return. To the properly faithful person, of course. And in another sense, if you take those people of ours that are meeting in someone's basement once or twice a week... If they need supplies, bibles, snacks, chairs, whatever, most would expect them to.... pool their money together so they all pay an equal share. It's really pretty logical.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If there's no need for faith ergo no respect for faith in those who have it, so then what benefits would follow an appearance of sanctity?

I wonder if I should treat this part seriously at all. But I will since you seem to be serious. So, to answer your question, it depends for whom. For you maybe not, those people so mistakenly fond of your supposed faith might even be entirely satisfied with your external appearance, but the fair will be over once you have to stand before God.

Ah well, and going to the church punctually every time needed plus extra and tithing whatever prescribed plus even some extra still doesn't give you even an aura of sanctity.

It may come to you as a total revelation, but it's not about money or material gain from reputation: the whole religion is about love and love is about how you treat God and the other men. Every one. From beggars and homeless to CEOs and kings. This, and how you are reborn for this from previous conditions. You actually have to die to rise from the dead.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Death Rabbit.

I hear you. The thing is there are lots of organisation such as governments and political parties, social groups and even military "groups" that are not really held accountable for their financial dealings. Why single out churches? Because I am in a crappy mood with christians and christianity so I blame churches squandering... blah, blah, blah...

It's lame. There are no doubt some problems that should be brought to account but to act as if that these few bad apples represent the whole of christiandom is a very big bit extreme.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.