1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Goin' on a road trip, seeking tips & tricks

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Balle, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i or we (a couple of my friends and i) are planning a roadtrip through europe
    and i am seeking pointers and such as to make the ride as smooth as possible.

it will take event this summer, late july to early august, for approx 14 days

i am searching for "non-tourist" treasures in form of beatifull sights, cheap beer, cheap gas and basicly fun places, maybe a bit of clubbing as well.
    oh also cheap lodging, maybe hostels or camp sights.

we will be 4 dudes about 20 years old heading of from denmark in a VW Polo 1,8 TD.
    we are not currently intending on going north or too far east, not hitting "unfriendly" countris as serbia and the likes

thx in advance

Balle

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Not sure how things are in Europe, but I've always found the YHA to have good quality, yet very cheap hostels throughout places I've travelled. Also a great way to meet others and hear about things to do/see.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    The ultimate rule for road tripping:

Never pass up an opportunity to pee.

All else is secondary.

4. Balle Gems: 19/31

well, rally

good idea thx.
    we are atm working on a funnel+bottle idea if we are in a hurry, but this one sounds a bit nicer, and cleaner.
    thx

and we will definately be vissiting amsterdam, so if anyone knows some great places there both clubbing and for a good "coffee" it will be very welcome

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Start making a checklist now and think about everything you're doing at home now and think about how you're gonna do it on the trip, and what you'll need to bring to accomplish it.

6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Want some excitement?

Use a left-hand drive car. :D

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Go to eastern Europe, it's way undervalued with plenty of sights and interesting cultures. It's also cheaper than the western parts. Also 14 days is not a very long time, especially with a car so try to keep distances short unless you really want to spend all the time in the car. But then I guess plenty of driving is by definition included in a road trip. :p

So I'd recommend going east, through Germany to Poland and the baltics. Try to avoid Russia though, things might have gotten better there but I'd definently not go road tripping there.

8. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Get a mini-fridge that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Me and my friends had one when we road-tripped, it made life so much better when you can crack open a couple of cold ones when ever you want (not the driver ofc).

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

There is a Starbucks at Amsterdam Central Station.

But you can't get any pot there.

I don't know where to get good stuff for good prices, but just make sure you buy it in a real coffee shop, not from someone on the street or anything like that. Coffee shops are monitored by the health department, so they can't sell you utter crap. Also, smoking pot in public is actually illegal (as opposed to buying it or carrying it with you, which is only technically illegal, but the police will always look the other way, which is actually a law), so you can get fined for smoking pot in public. However, you will probably get off with a warning if you're getting stoned in the Vondelpark or something like that.
    If you are looking for things like magic shrooms you're probably gonna be out of luck, since they will probably be forbidden by this summer (they found out that mushrooms and tourists don't mix, so they want to ban them completely).

I'm not really familiar with the clubbing scene (you mean electronic dance music, right?) in Amsterdam (I'm not overly fond of Amsterdam at all), but the bigger places like Paradiso and De Melkweg offer a wide variety of music, so probably also electro.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

LMAO :shake:

I was going to say what Rally said. That funnel and bottle idea sounds prett good too though :D

11. Balle Gems: 19/31

well yes i was talking about weed, i might as well try it wen it's legal.
    and i already knew it was strictly in coffeshops
    iv'e always thought: why not just call the weed shops or hemp houses or something like that?
    i'm not that much into magical stuff though.

í would very much like to see eastern europe myself, but my friends are kinda not that much into that, i will be trying to persuade them though

and yes i did mean electronic music, but there are plenty of places to check out on the interweb, it was just if anyone have had a fandangily nice time somewhere

thx again

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

uh while I may have laughed earlier in this thread it appears that I may (not sure yet) be heading to Amsterdam this weekend.

If this is the case, Mesmero (or anyone) where COULD I get magic shrooms HYPOTHETICALLY speaking :D Its not summer yet so will they be selling them at Cafe's also?

13. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Sorry Balle, that your thread turned into a thread about the Dutch drug policy. That wasn't my intention with my first post. But since Enagonios asked: Ena, have you ever used magic mushrooms before?

Magic mushrooms are still legal.

However, firstly I would like to strongly DISADVISE anyone using magic mushrooms in an unfamiliar setting (like when you're heading to Amsterdam for a weekend). Magic mushrooms are something completely different than smoking pot, they are a hallucinogenic drug and you can get panic attacks and anxiety attacks from them... something you do not want in an unfamiliar place. It makes you jump out of hotel windows and things like that... yes, that happened. So, think about what you are doing (especially if you have never used them before), whether you want to take them in Amsterdam and whether you want to take them at all. (I don't want to hear another story on the news about a tourist getting in trouble after consuming magic mushrooms)

I have never used them myself, so giving someone advice about shrooms is kinda hard since I don't know the effects first hand. All I know is what I heard about them (good stories, but also enough bad stories to stay away from them). If you have thought it through (and I mean READ UP about them if you're not familiar with them) and you still want to buy magic mushrooms: they are called paddo's around here, and you can buy them in places called Smart Shops (not in coffee shops). ONLY buy them in Smart Shops as they are the only ones allowed to sell them. If you buy them somewhere else and you're not familiar with them, you could be sold complete junk (and I don't mean stuff that doesn't work, but there are also plenty of poisonous mushrooms growing everywhere in The Netherlands). The Smart Shops will (probably) sell you fresh shrooms, as (most) dried ones are illegal. Also, the Smart Shops will be able to tell you something about how potent various mushrooms are (if they don't, ASK!). Mushrooms (in comparison to pot) are fully legal and they can be displayed by Smart Shops in the windows.

Make sure you are sober when you buy them, as the (good) Smart Shops won't sell them to you when have been drinking. Be sure you have your ID with you, as they can't sell them to minors. Don't drink while you are under the influence of shrooms and don't smoke pot... bad things can happen when you do. One tip I once heard is to consume them in a quiet environment for the most pleasant experience, busy environments have a greater chance of causing bad trips.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Sorry, didn't catch your post before I left Mesmero. Anyway just thought you may wanna know, I did end up getting them from a smart shop and I took them in my hostel. The stuff I got was pretty strong so it hit me kind of weirdly at first but after that I was okay. Hell of a music trip haha. My Amsterdam experience wouldn'tve been complete without it haha

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.