1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

God, the Baldur's Gate books blow big time...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kenshiro, May 25, 2002.

1. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I read the first BG book when it came out. I now make it a point to hide Athans' books with every other novel in arm's reach.

I have to admit, though, I'm jealous. I, and millions of other would-be writers, have tried to get my best work published, and some mentally retarded highschool dropout comes along and gets to make three bestsellers. There's no justice :grr:

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am VERY sorry for bringis this OLD thread back in. But I´ve finally decided that I might start reading books. And since I´m a BG fanatic these would be the books I´d start with if I ever would start reading.

Although it seems like most people think they stank. And obviously they dont stick to the games very much. But, since I have read like 11 books in my life I dont think I´ll care if the writer isn´t a very good one.

So do you think a BG maniac, and I repeat maniac, would enjoy these books even alittle?

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Definitely not. These books can be placed amongst the worst pieces of crap ever written. Anyone with a positive intelligence score will not enjoy them.

Please, Duke Eltan, go read Harry Potter instead. It sucks like hell, but it's a thousand times better than any of the BG books.

4. Troll Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

5. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'd just like to say first of all I havn't read that many books myself so I don't have picky tastes but I do have a sense of what's bad, and adding to what troll said I know of a online BGII story over 270k words long that's a thousand times better then the official one I've been hearing about, here there is also another incomplete one here be warned that Anomen is one of the main characters in the first one, but he is well writen to be a likable character, there is also a ToB story in progress here

Edit: I'm sorry Tal if you don't want me to advertise fics outside of SP I can edit it out if needed.

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Okay, so I guess the books sucks. So can anybody tell me how much of the game that is in them. Like, do they visit the Gnoll Stronghold in #1. Do they travel to Trademeet in #2?
    And so on...

Well, if Anomen is in them I wont read them. He has got to be the lamest person ever.
    And maybe I should finish ToB before...
    I´ve had it since it got out, but haven´t spent more than maybe 5 hours playing it :confused:

The "A Gnome and his Vampire's Revenge" tale was indeed a great one. Thanks for the tip!

[ January 14, 2004, 18:32: Message edited by: Duke Eltan ]

7. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not that I have anything against Anomen (ToD) or Anomen haters (BGII) (I despise his guts in BGII :flaming: ) I think he's different in ToD (Tide of Destiny) then BGII.
    (not lame)
    So apart from needing to relax more he is fine, but you have to wait a couple of chapters before he changes, and even in the beggining he is a bit different then his BGII version.

I just thought I should let you know because it's a great story imo and I think it would be a shame if anyone misses out on it because of something as small as this, but I don't care either way just letting you know Duke :)

[ January 16, 2004, 12:59: Message edited by: casey ]

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

BG and BG2 did suck yes TOB was not so bad because it was not written by the same person as BG and BG2. It was not so bad I guess but anything else I have read from the forgotten realms is a whole lot better.

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

I´ll get the 3 BG books plus the 4 Elminster books for only $50 so I guess I´ll just buy them and see how I like them. Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.