1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Goblin Warrens

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by The mad haggis, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wanderon, that no R&R concept sounds quite fun. It must also be interesting creating your pool of starting characters. It's the ability to do stuff like this which makes me like this game so much.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

No, of course not. I just wanted to say that it isn't worth to invest too much time or reloads for a little extra quest XP since the XP you have in one chapter won't affect the XP you'll have two chapters later.

It didn't improve the gaming experience for me that I could fight 3 weak but annoying skeletons for 0 XP instead of 1 in Fell Wood repeatedly just because the party level was higher.
    The party-level dependent extra monsters are just annoying and don't give noteworthy XP.
    If it is better for the gaming experience to gain 5 levels in one chapter and 3 in the next or to gain 4 levels in each chapter is a matter of personal preference.

I still try to reach high levels as fast as possible, but it isn't as important as it was with the older XP system any more.
    Sneaking past just to get extra XP and then coming back to kill the monsters for even more XP seems pretty odd from a roleplaying point of view. With the dynamic XP system you won't be missing XP until the end if you don't act so.

3. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Harbourboy, IIRC, wanderon's pool of characters is actually drawn from past exported characters of various levels at various points in various games. And thus, they have varying mixes of equipment.

I've never been into Wanderon's no R&R concept, but I think that it's a very interesting one nonetheless, provided that you have the discipline to not do any reloads.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hmm doing reloads is a bummer, I am badly addicted to it. I remember reloading even when I thought my favourite character should be the one who killed the big bad guy, and if another buddy gets the killing shot, I reload and have my favourite character kill. :p I know it is weird, and I don'T like it, but I am ADDICTED.

OK I did my best to get rid of this nasty habit. And I guess I am starting to get rid of it.

Hence, in my ToB game I allowed Immy to make the last shot to Imp. Yaga-Shura and didn't bother to reload. I ONLY reload when main character is dead, or a NPC dies irreversibly, or a important quest is botched. Oh if only I can get rid of these as well. But I am getting off-topic, sorry. :cry:

I didn'T know about sneaking should give you XP. But killing all those goblins are more fun, to me, and sneaking and then killing them makes no sense at all. IMHO, ofcourse.

5. The mad haggis Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Oh I would go back and kill them. I personally like having rogue go invisible, let loose spiders to lure baddies into a nice tight bundle and then letting loose with area effect spells (sleep, horror, fireball, flaming oil). Just to kill a large group en mass. Does this make me a bad guy???

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^No more evil than the rest of us nice gamers, no. :thumb:

7. crucis

Not at all. Sounds like great strategy. Creating a situation where one group of baddies fights a second group of baddies? No way is that evil. How is it really any different than using summoning spells that summon monsters that you know are evil and would attack you if you ran into them otherwise?

No, using deception to get two groups of enemies to attack each other is good strategy, particularly if you feel that your own party isn't strong enough to deal with one or both enemy forces.

And using deception or other tactics to get the enemy to group themselves more tightly to become more vulnerable to nasty area effect spells is also good tactics. Like summoning a fire elemental well ahead of your party to act as a magnet for the enemy, then dropping every conceivable fire based spell on top of the FE. Great tactics.

8. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I didn't check whole list because I haven't finished IWD2 yet, but few include:

You asked Emma Moonblade to summon the Druid of Shaengarne. 450
    You told Goublika about Sherincal. Level_7_ Average
    You paid Goublika to keep his fomorian giants from attacking. 1900
    You browbeat Goublika into keeping his fomorian giants from attacking Captain Yurst. 2850
    You killed Goublika for Illium Ar'Ghrenoir. 1900
    You browbeat Goublika for Illium Ar'Ghrenoir. 2850
    You convinced Illium Ar'Ghrenoir not to launch an attack on Goublika. 4275

[ February 07, 2006, 17:46: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You do realize that Weimer's list is a dump of everything from the game files, including quests which might not have been fully implemented, or were disabled for one reason or another in the actual game?

From what I remember, those giants attack you on sight, no matter what you do. There is no alternative but to kill them.

10. crucis

I just looked it up in Near Infinity.

Goublika seems to be some sort of Veerbeg who leads the Fomorian Giants. That said, I simply do not recall ever seeing a Veerbeg in AR4000, the first area of chapter 2, where the Fomorians, and the Aurilite rangers, etc. reside.

Goublika is in the AR4000.ARE area file, but his/her CRE file does not link to the Goublika's associated Dialog file. It seems that BIS removed this particular story element, or never fully implemented it.

Oh, and also, in Goublika's CRE file, he/she's classified as an enemy, not a nuetral, so I suppose this means that he'll attack on sight. Hardly the reaction of a NPC who's willing to talk. ;)

Good catch, Taluntain.

11. wanderon Gems: 4/31

Crucis is correct my "pools" are made up of characters I have exported at various levels - you can check out the details of my No R&R Campaign ROOLZ - here:

http://p081.ezboard.com/fwanderonswarrensfrm24

the journals from my first campaign with Oxram the Odd are also in that forum which got all the way to the final battle before ending in defeat. None of my other No R&R campaigns since then have made it that far...

12. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Oh, ok then. Sorry.

13. wanderon Gems: 4/31

Well I never reload at all except for complete party death or game crash/glitch so for me its just another way to handle the area and gain some more exp by doing so.

I really pay very little attention to the numbers once I get past character creation but I try to do as many quests as possible both for the RP factor (I usually try to do those "in character" for the group tho) and also to get as much exp as possible becuase as I see it getting exp is sort of how the game keeps score and I want to be a winner... ;)

I don't crunch the numbers and try to figure out the best time to level up or squat or anything like that or worry too much about when I am going to stop getting exp for kills - mostly cuz theres nothing I am going to do about it except possibly whine on a forum about it... :)

As for 3 skellies just being more annoying than 1 I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean more and sometimes better monsters that come along with the higher average level do make the game more challenging I think and whether or not I get exp for them or not just isn't much of a priority to me.

However I have played much much more of the early chapters than the late ones. I have only finished the game with 3 or 4 parties and only took maybe 2-3 others as far as chap 4ish but have taken literally dozens of all shapes and sizes to the Fortress or Chap 2 so that may have something to do with my lack of worry about the exp numbers and my focus on getting all the exp I can.

As for sneaking past them then coming back and killing them I see no issue at all for that from an RP basis. You enter the fortress and sneak around to see whats up and then decide you don't want all those enemies at your back so you eliminate them once you know where they all are. I'm pretty sure thats the sort of scenario the devs must have had in mind when they added the exp for doing the sneak... ;)

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is very cool. I never knew that you could do this and get some credit for it (I don't really care whether it is more or less XP, the fact that the game recognises that you've done it is cool enough). This is yet another thing that shows that this game is richer than everyone gives it credit for.

15. wanderon Gems: 4/31

I agree - in fact I only heard rumors about this particular side quest within the past couple months and I have been playing/discussing the game since it came out...guess thats why I still like to come around the forums... you never know when you might screw up and learn something new... ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.