1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Glacius - the super annoying idiot

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by 8people, Apr 28, 2002.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    The patch works! Thanks!

I logged off before I had a chance to reply, something about homework being important, Parents have strange ideas on priority

Thanx

Why do I have have a tendency to repeat?

2. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Hum...
    When I first played BG2 I had a big problem with that guy. So I quitted playing BG2, but then I started again. That time when I met him I put a charmspell on him and killed him.

Can you actually get the piece without killing him?
    I didn't know.
    When I came into the room he started to scream at me, he got pretty mad and attacked me
    So I put a charm spell on him and killed him. If I let the time of the spell pass and he came back he continued to attack me.
    I never had the chance to talk to him except in the beginning.

3. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you can't get him to turn neutral you have to kill him, and IIRC you can only complete the De'Arnise quest through dealing with him somehow. You can't get the red flail head without dealing with him, and no xp for only creating half the flail of ages (with the other two heads).

Extremist says the saving throws favour domination. This may be so, but in my games I've found the most successful combination is:
    charm via ring of human influence
    dispel magic
    Glaicus turns blue/neutral
    You initiate talk (giving time to rest and memorise spells if need be)
    He gives you the flail head and some spiel (and key to the keep, I think)
    You can let him go or :shame: kill him for the xp and loot including full plate

Domination didn't work for me, as in earlier games I'm sure dispel magic made him hostile again.

The amount of reloading in my first games certainly did suggest this bit was bugged.

Anyway someone put me right if dealing with Glaicus somehow is not mission critical. The neutral option is much better for the xp.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Wait, wait! You obviously don't get me. I do believe you and also all of them.

------------------------------------------
    The problematic original script does this:

1. Is Glaicas Chramed/Dominated? If yes, continue on 2. otherwise check this again.

2. Glaicas is charmed! Cast DispelMagic on him, wait one second and then procede.

3. One second passed! Turn Glaicas to neutral and force him to start dialog.
    ------------------------------------------

And the point 3. is problematic at two spots.

Up there I've posted what command Bioware's "Quality Assurance" used to turn him neutral - that command doesn't work! But it is not important if it actually works or not, Glaicas will start the dialog no matter his allegiance, just what matters is that he mustn't be charmed/dominated any more. OK?

If he started to talk, he would turn to neutral inside the dialog - but NOT before. The correct command to definetly turn him to neutral BEFORE the dialog is also posted in my previous post, but as I've said, it's totally obsolete (like in most original scripts, this one also have a redudant trash command - Bioware never "cleaned/optimized" the game).

What I call the critical omission here, is the dispel magic command. Bioware used dispel magic that behaves if it was casted by a mage of LEVEL 0. Yes you read this right.
    What happens? Inscript dispel magic fails = Glaicas don't start talking! :mad:
    Why did they used that ordinary dispel magic instead of forced dispel magic that always works, I wouldn't know. That's a question for Bioware, right?

But, how did you got the process right? After number of reloads you've managed to dispel magic at that very moment of 1 second pause in the script what made possible that Glacias actually gets charm effect removed = he talks!

But if that (endless reload) is Quality Assurance, then I'm not familiar with the word "assurance".

5. NegaDruid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Yo, guys and gals. :cool:

Glacius is terribly annoying, yes, and I've had problems with him whenever I've tried to go up against him. Killing him is no fun for Nalia, and saving him gives you a nice amount of EXP and makes you feel all tingly inside for having save a man's soul and all that. :D

I found a way that almost always works to free Glacias, even in his bugged state... though it tends to be irritating sometimes and sometimes requires the use of CLUAConsole and EnableCheatKeys... and with Extremist is fixing it for us(Thank you, god!), you don't need to bother. I suggest /NOT/ using CLUAConsole unless you are seriously, seriously frustrated, however... because this takes all the fun out of it.

First thing you need is your Protagonist... matters not what he/she/it is, just as long as they can survive against Glacius for more then five seconds. Low AC and High HP is a must... easy if you are playing through the Keep to gain it as a Warrior... might prove difficult unless you Stoneskin and use Protections if you are a mage.

The second thing you need is Nalia herself, who serves as the Mage needed to cast the spells to free Glacias. If your Protaganist is a Mage, you still need her however to respond to the dialog with Glacias when he sees you. The third thing is buying a good few Hold Person and Charm Person scrolls... and maybe a few Dispel Magics. Up to you, but having Nalia memorize these can interfere with the rest of the keep if you are just entering it with all the spells you need and never rest like I do(Silly me, thinking you need to take Dungeons all in one go. :shame: ToB learned me.)

The strategy is this. Take the other four members of your party elsewhere on the second level of the keep... in the secret passage to Glacias' room is a good idea, and take only the protagonist and Nalia forward. Now, Entering Glacias' room is the main trouble. First you need to unlock and detrap the door, easy enough with a good thief, though Nalia /may/ suffice with her tiny skills. Then entering the room is where I first have trouble... because Nalia and the Protaganist need to be both in the room when Glacias sees you. Position them side by side with the Protagonist 'above' Nalia(closer to the top of the screen). Pause the game. Send in the Protagonist to move in and up towards Glacias, next to the table so he/she/it is seen and spoken to. This is important, because if you let Glacias 'see' Nalia... then Nalia won't respond with her Dialog. Send Nalia in to a lower position to keep her away from Glacias and still see him. If you are lucky, they will do it correctly and you'll get threatened by Glacias and then Nalia will remark that he must be Charmed and that /YOU/ have to save him! This can be frustrating... and I'm not sure how 'key' it is... but it makes us perfectionistic completists feel good. Use Cntl-J if you mess up enough to pull your hair out.

Then, having the Protagonist sit there and take Glacias' attacks like a lump, Nalia needs to use the scrolls to first Hold Person Glacias. This will make sure he doesn't hurt your protagonist too badly and keep him still for the next events. Then, when Glacias is held, have Nalia charm him. Try to pause just as the effects take hold, when he goes blue... doesn't matter really, but judicious pausing seems to make the trick work better. Then, if Glacias doesn't respond... have Nalia cast Dispel Magic on him to remove both the Hold and the Charm... and hopefully, hopefully... Glacias will wake up and speak to your Protagonist and be saved! ...if not, this can be another sticky point where you can always try to Hold him, Charm him, and Dispel again because he may turn Hostile again.

This has worked the few times I've tried it, but sometimes when it fails, you may need to pause the game after Holding and Charming Glacias... and if all this fails, you just hit CNTL-R over him to 'heal' him while the game is paused. Do this only as a last resort, and it only sometimes works.

It is a big chance on however you want to try it, but that is how to free Glacias right now without any fixes. Hopefully our wonderful Extremist will be able to fix all this and make my little trick no longer useful.

I also reiterate: :nono: Don't try the CLUAConsole Cheat Keys unless, like I was, you are terribly, terribly frustrated with the whole affair. Extremist will take care of it for us, at least.

Thanks much, Extremist! :D

Good luck dealing with Glacias!

[This message has been edited by NegaDruid (edited May 02, 2002).]

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Hmmm, it may sound lame, but it would be perhaps possible with resistance lowering spells too.

I won't test it actually, there is no need for that now that I've dealt it with the script.

Anyway, I've mailed it to you so you may see if it's of any worth... ;)

7. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I thought it was just me. :p I just killed him. Oh well, I still got the flail head.

8. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

lol Negadruid - that method looks like 3 hours gaming well spent ;)

Anyhow, I could try that for variation. It's true sometimes Nalia comes up with that 'Glaicus has been charmed' speech. For me it didn't matter who cast charm or domination and who dispelled.

9. Neuronius Gems: 1/31

Just a note... On this part...

This is what I done without a patch or cheat code.

I first equiped my Leader with the ring of human influence.

Then I removed my A.I. so that I can control my two Characters

Then I Entered the room with my leader and Nalia.

Glacius talked.

My leader used the ring on Glacius. I then move my leader near Glacius and waiting until the spell wears off.

When I saw Clacius turn blue, I pause the game (just to make sure) used my leader and click on the two head to speak to Glacius.

Bingo! I got 22500 Exp. and an object. Flail Head (Acid)

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Usually I just kill him since I often have problem getting a Charm Person to turn him neutral.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Earl, I know you have problems, it's bug, it's fixed inside SPfixpack, you just download it, install it...

Wait a minute! But you have ToB! Well, then suffer! :evil: :p
    SPfixpack is not ToB compatible, bwhahahaha!
    /me gloats

12. Duke of Earl Gems: 1/31

Extremist, I have ToB as well. Could you email me the fix you sent to 8people, or at least tell me which file I need to edit? This Glacias thing is driving me crazy!

Thanks
    Phil

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If you have ToB you have no place posting in this SoA forum. Read the forum rules before you post. PM or mail Extremist if you have something to ask.

14. Duke of Earl Gems: 1/31

Hmmm, sorry 'bout that...

Phil

PS- Clicking on Extremist's PM button gives me an Internal Server Error. :confused:

[Hmm... It shouldn't do that now, even if you're not logged in... Try using the PM from the front page of the boards.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 23, 2002).]

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You don't need to bother with PM if it's not working. Mail me your request for the file and I'll mail it back. Although SPfixpack is not ToB compatible yet, that particular script is.
    I'd mail it right away, but you've disabled mail addy displaying, so I simply can't.

16. Duke of Earl Gems: 1/31

[Do not make posts such as this in the future, we prefer every post to have some content rather than just punctuation - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 24, 2002).]

17. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Ok, pardon me for asking a dumb question here; but i've never played with a Fighter. :) Not even Kensai :D

Yeah so, um... Who exactly is Glacius? Is the the guy who attacks you on the Second level of the D'Arnise Keep? I never knew he was charmed!! What made you figure that out?!
    And what does he do/give you? If you kill him you get the Flail Head i know... but if you 'un-charm' him?

18. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Gopher, yes, that is who Glacius is.

And iirc there is a entry in your journal that mentions that he is charmed.

19. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

:eek: I never knew that you could do that! (charm him back to normal)....
    What happens when you do?(yes, I know he talks to you, but specifics)

20. lordvan526 Gems: 1/31

Sorry, I know this topic's old, but i just tried to uncharm him for the first time, and was wondering: How do you get the third flail?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.