1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ghostwise Halflings ECL penalty

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Ishad Nha, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

In the file RACEXPMD.2DA, Ghostwise Halflings are listed as having a one level ECL penalty just like Aasimar and Tiefling PCs. This can be verified in Near Infinity.
    RACEXPMD.2DA
    2DA V1.0
    MOD_XP
    HUMAN 10
    HUMAN_AASIMAR -35
    HUMAN_TIEFLING -35
    ELF 0
    ELF_DROW -50
    ELF_WOOD 0
    HALF_ELF 0
    DWARF 0
    DWARF_GOLD 0
    DWARF_GRAY -50
    HALFLING 0
    HALFLING_LIGHTFOOT 0
    HALFLING_GHOSTWISE -35
    GNOME 0
    GNOME_DEEP -60
    HALF_ORC 0

Yet there is no mention of this in the game manual or in the following 2DA file:
    STRTXP.2DA
    2DA V1.0
    VALUE
    HUMAN_TIEFLING 2000
    HUMAN_AASIMAR 2000
    DWARF_GRAY 5000
    ELF_DROW 5000
    GNOME_DEEP 5000

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

All of the other demihuman races that have subraces in IWD2 have one subrace with an ECL penalty. 3rd Edition D&D does not call for an ECL penalty for Ghostwise Halflings. They just get a different Racial abilities set compared to Stronghearts and Lightfoots, of which nothing is overpowered. My guess would be that the devs were playing with an idea of changing the race by adding abilities and gving it an ECL penalty, but never went forward with it.

3. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

I will have to check whether the penalty was ever implemented in practice...

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    May I post Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  5. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

That image is generated from various files, it should indicate no penalty exists. But the 0 XP comes from another file, STRTXP.2DA, as I showed above.
    A lot of the 2DA files are clearly inherited from BG2 and won't be used in IWD2.
    The only way to really know what the game is doing is to monitor the effect of XP awards on each PC's total XP.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If a character has an ECL, it would have shown up on the image. It also would show that the "next level" is at 3000, 6000, or 10,000 instead of 1,000, depending on what the ECL penalty is.

I'm not sure what you meant by "that image is generated by various files" however. I simply started a new game, created a Ghostwise Haflling Barbarian, and gave him "strong back" as the feat. I probably should have gone with "iron will". but I had no intention of playing with it.

I then sped through the intro and getting Hedron to shut up ASAP, opened the character screen, and hit "print screen".
    Then I quit and went into MSPAINT.EXE, pasted the screen shot into it, saved it as a .JPG, and uploaded it to my SP account. Then I made the post.

7. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Is the 2DA file being ignored? I will have to check this at some point.

It might be connected to Heart of Fury, I don't know.
    If not, then it is something that never made it into the final game, just as well. Penalties like -50% and -60% are simply prohibitive.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think you're confusing the "non-favored multiclass" penalty with the ECL penalty. The ECL penalty means that your level 1 character is treated as if he were at a higher level for the purpose of the amount of XP needed for advancement. Thus a Drow with an ECL of 2 needs 6000 XP to advance to level 2, 10,000 xp to advance to level 3, and so on. An Asimar needs 3000xp for level 2, 6000 for level 3, etc.
    They are treated as if they were ECL levels higher than their actual level when determining XP requirements.

The non-favored multi-class penalty assess a penalty in the amount of XP earned if you multiclass to a class other than your race's favored class and have more than one level's difference from your other classes. Prestige classes are exempt from this rule.

RTFM on the two types of penalties. Look for the multiclassing rules and the ECL rules.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=IWD2&f=IWD2/IWD2_english.zip

9. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Your non-favored class penalty, unequal level penalty, applies irrespective of race.
    Looking at the two files in the first post, I come to the conclusion that they are all about race not class. Check the files in Near Infinity, you will see what I mean.
    In BG2 there was a lot of stuff that did not make it into the final game, hence the Unfinished Business mod, this may be an IWD2 equivalent of that.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    actually the multiclass penalty depends somewhat on race, at least for determining when it's applied. Your race determines your favored class, with humans and half-elves getting a wildcard for favored class.

11. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Anyway, the moral of the story is that IWD2 was not plagued with Deep Gnomes getting -60% XP awards. That means they are only getting 40% of baseline XP! At 2/5 the level of most races the Deep Gnomes would be tough to play, not worth having in the party. Other penalized races ditto.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    My current party has a deep gnome monk (it was recommended a while ago when I asked about high AC in the first half o the game). He starts in the hole, but otherwise gets awarded the normal amount of XP.

You don't get a penalty to the amount awarded, you just need to make enough XP to meet your ECL level before you can start gaining levels.

The game cheats a bit on this as you start 1000XP away from level 2, but given that the amount of XP needed for each additional level increases exponentially (or was it geometrically, I'll have to double-check the table and it's been a decade since I had calculus II and stat 301, my last math classes) you still pay the penalty with everyone without an ECL penalty being level 3 at the palisade battle while the ECL characters are only level 2. They remain roughly ECL-Penalty levels behind the party afterwards.

13. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Oh yes, these days the Ecl penalty is tolerable enough, none of this -60% stuff!

XP formula is a simple quadratic, you won't need calculus here:
    XP = 500L(L-1) =1000(L(L-1)/2)
    where L is the level whose threshold you seek.
    XP for level 19 = 1,000(19(18)/2) = 1,000(19*9) = 171,000

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.