1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting a new computer, new trends - updated, need some help with RAM picking

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, May 29, 2008.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, I kept talking about SLI until I decided to get a 4850 instead.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I read a few interesting articles about optic driven and disks. Turn out that most brands come from the same manufacturer, and that the burners are sometimes simillair between different brands.

I cannot link the article while it is printed on paper, and in dutch, but I am sure there are some on the internet. For the drives there are only 4 conglomerates. Whit the disks it is almost the same. Even the big brands like sony buy their disk at different places. The plextors indeed have the reputation to be stronger.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    As for DVD drives, I have a LiteOn and a Samsung drive in my computer. The Samsung hasn't made a single coaster...yet. The LiteOn takes its time loading anything. It spins up, then spins down, then up, then down...etc...but eventually figures out what it's doing and reads just fine. It has created a few coasters though, so I usually only use the LiteOn for reading, and the very seldom dual-burn when I'm making several picture CD/DVDs for people.

When I bought all the pieces for my new computer, I was going to get a Plextor...but the SATA model was out of stock, and the Samsung drive was a NewEgg "best buy" and the most popular...so I got it instead...for less. :D :rolling:

4. chevalier

Media:
    Guys. After many, many acts of defiance, the new computer has finally yielded to my authority. The circumstances of this rendition shall yet be established in more detail. Meanwhile:

E7200 CPU... since the gaming difference of the double cache and higher FSB of the E8400 is at about 6%...
    Asus P5Q-E... since I wanted a strong mobo; I already hate its BIOS and CMOS and everything related, but otherwise it's fine - it could just run cooller with all these heatpipes and stuff
    HD 4850 - 3 days before the official release, hehehe
    Samsung F1 HDD at 640 GB; chosen over just minimally more expensive 750 GB version, even though the bigger one had double the cache (32 MB while mine has 16 MB) for two reasons: speed ("plates" are 320 GB, fractions aren't good for speed), silence (the quietest of all series is the 640 GB version)
    some Asus DVD burner - there was no Pioneer and no noticeable Plextor; Asus was chosen for somewhat courteous ways of operation
    Tagan 500W PSU (U33 Force II series) - old and not so oomphy, but has the wattage it claims; in retrospect, Corsair would probably have been a better choice
    Chieftec case - looks ugly; a totally black 1997-looking iron box; it has some toolless solutions I mostly don't care for, but being able to open the case without a screwdriver isn't that bad
    Vista Home Premium - sorry, XP... any new system from M$ sucks anyway; that is, DOS didn't, but we know how it was with DOS

Given I'm getting up in 4 hours, more from me when I'm done with the drivers, which is likely tomorrow evening or even Friday.

BTW, the box cooler is noisy. If you get one of these processors, get yourself an OEM and an affordable aftermarket cooler, such as Alpine 7.

Edit: Patriot LLK RAM was apparently faulty. I took a sweet normal CL good-quality set from GEIL instead, even getting some cash return. I'm still contemplating the A-DATA Vitesta - would it be a good buy? I mean, I'd just have to pay a couple bucks more and I still can - for a week yet, since I got two weeks from the vendor to perfect my config after the purchase.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I run Geil memory. I had a faulty one once, but the rest does its job. The orange low latencies versions to be exact.

The 5pq-e. I do not know, a good board i suppose.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I've been running Patriot memory in my current rig, with no issues, for almost two years now...no complaints.

7. chevalier

Media:
    DDR1 perchance, Chandos? It was one of the best DDR1 brands. I think I'm going to take the A-DATA.

Another thing, I might want to replace the PSU. It seems the data concerning the power needs of the 4850 are rather modest compared to what I suspect to be the case in reality. Given that Corsair makes better PSUs that Tagan for the same price, I'll try to get a Corsair.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Patriot DDR2 is what I'm currently using.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Never heard of Patriot, but I've been using Corsair RAM since my very first computer, zero hitches in six or seven years.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've had Corsairs for years as well and never had a problem with them. Cheap and reliable - what more could you want.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Corsair is the only RAM I've ever used for my builds. I give people the choice of which type of Corsair RAM they will get...but that's it. :D

I've got a pair of Corsair XMS3 in my current computer, and I haven't had a single issue. :rolling:

12. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Not really. Its not about how much RAM they can handle, its about memory bandwidth and the amount of memory available for each frame. Higher resolutions need more memory obviously, hence why 320MB 8800 GTS cards performed about the same as 640MB cards until you bumped the res up, in which case the 320MB cards lost out badly.

Also, while its true that 512MB GTS cards perform better than 640MB cards, thats more because they have new cores than the difference in memory. They have 128 shader processors vs the 640MB cards 96.

For 1680x1050, you want at least 512MB of memory. Look at the 4850/4870 cards - they perform fine at high reses with that amount of memory.

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Best CPU - Intel 45nm
    Best GPU - ATI 4850 or 4870 - best bang for the buck
    RAM - DDR2 / DDR3 is still to expensive at this time

Best Mobo for this combo Intel P45 Chipset.

14. Merlanni

Media:
    True, we are just debating the details until we all agree on what screws to use. Join in.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

You can build a very powerful system for well under $1500 if you look around for the best bargins. Below is a full system with LCD, speakers, etc... for around $1500

Asus P45 with Cross Capability with 2 2.0 PCI-e
    Intel 8200
    Geil or Patriot 4GB of DDR2 1066 Ram
    2 250GB HD w/ 16 MB Cache Setup in Raid 0
    2 Sapphire ATI 4850 setup in Cross Fire
    RaidMax Case
    600W RaidMax Power Supply ATX V2.2 with 2 PCI-E
    2 Lite-On SATA DVD Burner
    Internal Card Reader
    20" LCD
    Logitech 5.1 Surrond Sound Computer Speakers

This system will out perform most of the high end gaming systems and will cost a lot less. If you wanted more bang for the buck you could upgrade the CPU and the Video Card.

16. chevalier

Media:
    Tech is cheaper in the States. There's no way I could get that for $1500 here. Maybe for $2500 if I were lucky... Currently I have:

E7200
    Asus P5Q-E
    A-Data "Extreme Performance" (yeah :rolleyes:) Vitesta 4GB 800
    640 GB Samsung F1
    Gigabyte 4850
    Chieftec 1997-style case (big, thick, heavy)
    Tagan 500W U-33
    HP w2007v
    some new Asus combo drive
    SB Audigy ES (old stuff)

Cost more than $1500 when put together. Maybe $1700 or a bit less.

17. Merlanni

Media:
    Whit your stuff, only one Sapp 4850, a 75 euro case, 4 gig kingston hyper x, including 70 euro virus and 110 euro vista. excluding hp2007v?? (600 watt only 14 more(for two 4850))

938 euro. source: Alternate Holland. Germany also has an Alternate

18. chevalier

Media:
    Forgot to include Vista. Count that as well. Without the monitor and the soundcard, I paid 2800 PLN (around 900 euro). The monitor cost 830 PLN (a bit less than 300 euro). The soundcard cost 60 PLN (about 20 euro), bought used when out of soundcards.

19. Merlanni

Media:
    Whit my first vista install the program did not like the augidy2 zs card.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yeah, I had the same problem with Vista and my Audigy 4. I had to download specific drivers from CL. But it was an easy fix.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.