1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

German classes in Germany

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Enagonios, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apparently, given the lack of answers to the question, it would seem that Germany is a lousy place to learn German.

:p

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Well I must say (being a non-German, but speaking it fluently) German is surprisingly easier than english to learn. The gramma is quiet easy to obtain contrary to the english. At least I found that. Especially if you have some mathematical skills as German is the most logical language worldwide.

Depends. Many a word actually came from Danish. Words connected to the time prior to the French ie house, book, and the like including many maritime words. Beowulf is more Scandinavian (or Old-Nordic as the language was called - Icelandic is close to that language now, but in the rest of Scandinavia it has changed a lot) or should I say written by settlers in what was called Danelagen (The western/central part of England).

Friesian is also spoken in Germany and Denmark, actually it's stetched along the coastline of the Netherlands, Germany and southern Denmark. Remember they have their own flag :) It's a remniscent of sorts from older days dating back to around year 4-500 AFAIK.

Tal: It's not only a few dozen words: it's so many more, they can't simply be listed here. But try the English word to begin, it's very alike in Scandinavia, Germany and Netherland.

Freiburg is an excellent town!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Your mileage is obviously different from mine. :shake: Where are you from, then?

The list of English-German cognates is finite, and given the extent of the vocabulary of both languages, it's small - a few hundred words in my estimate. In another estimate of mine, you won't ever use at least 1/2 of those words while you're still learning German, which narrows it down even more. But my point all along has been that the words alone aren't the main difficulty or dissimilarity when it comes to bridging English to German. Mostly everything else is. You'll find cognates comparing nearly every two European languages; the only variable is the number of them.

4. Shaitan

It's definitly not finite as the language evolves. Best examples: Kindergarten/save (as in the moneystorageboxthingy) have switched over only relatively recently.

Could be, but I found (native dane) that learning english/german at roughly the same time there was greater similarities than not. Ofcourse you can find similarities between Finnish (being Magyay (sp?) in origin and thus not even indo-european) Italian (being Roman in origin) and German. But it's mostly words dating only a few hundreds years back. I'm not good at english grammar and thus I can't compare those two variables, I didn't observe huge differences as between Italian/German.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Well, these are actually completely different languages (with dialects of their own). I don't want to drift off topic too much, but here is a nice example from Wikipedia:

Saterland Frisian: Die Wänt strookede dät Wucht uum ju Keeuwe un oapede hier ap do Sooken.
    North Frisian: Di dreng aide dåt foomen am dåt kan än mäket har aw da siike.
    West Frisian: De jonge streake it famke om it kin en tute har op 'e wangen.

I guess they originate from the same language or something like that, as the sentences have a similar construction, but if the West Frisian translation (the one spoken in the Netherlands) wasn't there, I wouldn't have known what the upper two meant.

6. Shaitan

Ha! I didn't knew that! I only posses a little myself. I think it dates back to old Dorestad somewhere in the Netherlands.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think, arriving somewhat late in this thread, that the similarity between English and German becomes larger the further up north you get. In the north, at the coast and around Hamburg the local dialect has some similarities. Just like in my area the dialect becomes more similar to Dutch the closer you come to the border.

As a German native speaker, I found English very easy to learn, it basically flew to me - the hard part was to get into the subtleties. That took me years. I believe that German, especially the grammar, is more complex right from the start. The difficulties in English are more subtle and less easy to grasp. They certainly aren't part of the basic grammatical structure.

As for taking classes in Germany, go for it.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about it. Right now it is a bit of a toss-up between taking German in Germany or French in France. As regards the location, my friend from Hamburg has suggested Berlin as fitting my requirements.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Berlin is always worth a journey. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.