1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

George R. R. Martin in Slovenia

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Taluntain, Jun 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm back from the book-signing I mentioned in the HBO GoT thread... dear Gawd... I was there an hour early at 5pm and there were already I'd say around 200 people in front of me in the queue. At 6pm when Martin arrived, the queue was spanning the entire length of the Konzorcij bookstore (it's a LONG one), down the stairs to the floor below, through the shop below and outside the main entrance.

When I left at around 8.15pm (yea, it took over 3 hours before I got to him), the queue's tail was still outside the entrance one floor down, so more people kept joining at the same rate that the others were leaving. All in all, I'd say that more than 1000 people turned up... and that Martin will be signing books well past midnight tonight - if he'll actually manage to do all the signings.

He's been signing 3 books per person (90% of the people had 3 with them or bought them there even though they initially announced that he'll only sign one). 1 book with dedication, 2 sigs only. But then they also allowed everyone to take pictures with him as well... and pretty much everyone did. Aargh! This took forever.

Now I expected a big turnout but this was crazy - it's like the entire 18-30 population was there. Oddly enough though, relatively few younger readers and very few over 40.

Obviously there was a lot of cheering when Martin and the Slovenian translator arrived. I always wanted to say this so here goes: I thought he'd be taller! :lol:

He was very friendly and in a good mood and let everyone know that we really shouldn't ask him if we can ask him something but just shoot (saves a lot of time, naturally). He's also let everyone know that his favourite character is The Imp and that NO, he's not going to tell anyone who Jon Snow's parents are. Apparently those two are the most popular questions. He's also very pleased with the HBO series, but that's not surprising.

Until the time I got my books signed, that was pretty much it in terms of interaction.

The host bookstore did a terrible job with air-conditioning (or lack thereof - didn't feel like it was on at all); it was a hot day already, but cram 500 people in a confined space and even open windows don't help much. Everyone was sweating profusely and standing in line was that much more uncomfortable. Luckily they were passing around cups of water every hour or so, but as tends to be the case in such situations, it only makes you sweat more.

By the time I got to Martin I was regretting not playing the press card and coming up with a few questions, which would allow me direct access to him, but on the other hand I was overjoyed that I was nearly out of that blasted queue! I'm sure that in terms of epic book-signings this one wasn't much, but it was certainly the biggest one I've ever been to. We don't really get (m)any authors of his calibre visiting Slovenia.

When I handed my three books to Martin to sign he remarked that my first (A Game of Thrones) was "an old one", which it really was - I imported the first three books from the US early on when practically no one here's even heard of Martin. In contrast, most of the other books he signed today were either the latest paperback editions or the recent Slovenian translations.

He was also surprised that they were all in English so I mentioned that I preferred to read the originals rather than the translations. Of course, at the time I bought them, the local translations didn't exist yet. ;)

I was weighing whether I should start a debate on the size of the Wall in the HBO series with him (pet peeve) but decided against it - he already looked a bit tired and at that point the issue seemed rather too trivial to keep 500+ people waiting as a result. So I just shook his hand instead (he was in such an auto-sign mode that he didn't even remember to take the pen out :D) and left the bookstore oven in a hurry.

Of course, I managed to forget my good cam at home and had to make do with my crappy phone cam with no auto-focus, but hopefully a few pics at least will be good enough to make the faces out.

I'll be linking them to this blog post as soon as I transfer them.

P.S.

Martin was shown one of our more remarkable castles, the Predjama castle, and loved it. Apparently, it'll make its way into one of his future books! Check out his blog post about the visit here.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought Jon's mom was
    Ned's sister and his father was the Targaryen that took her that started the war that ended with Robert Baratheon on the iron throne...

[Better spoiler such things for those who haven't got that far yet. -Tal]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. Taluntain

Media:
    Haha, looks like I underestimated the number... Martin's rough estimate was 2000 people!

Check out his post-mortem blog entry: http://grrm.livejournal.com/222746.html

They had to cancel dedications mid-signing due to the huge turnout... should have just adjusted the number of books signed instead.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    And here's the promised album with a few pics I've taken.

Edit: wait for it... it's an unbelievable PITA to get the pictures uploaded in proper order - it seems they get arbitrarily reordered from last to first no matter how I rename them. Grrrr...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.