1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

George Bush starts his re-election campaign

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ArtEChoke, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The firefighterunions are pro Democrats. Nuff said.

Personally i don't see anything wrong with this campaign, after all, it DID happen while he was in office.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Can you really rave about Kerry's intellect when he can't properly pronounce "ideas". Please, someone take him aside and let him know the word is not "idears".

That is a blunder of potato proportions.

PacMan has also nailed another salient issue...the firefighters who are speaking out are the Union Chiefs...which has already publicly given it's support to Kerry.

Politics.

@Chandos...I agree with your take on 9/11 from an historical standpoint. When historians look at it from a broad perpective (as you often do), it will be seen as yet another step along the path leading...? But from an emotional outlook, many Americans have "Pearl Harbored" the 9/11 attacks. They are oblivious to what may have transpired before to prompt the attack, or where it fits into a larger scheme of things...they just know that they woke up one sunny Tuesday and we were under attack...with stunning damage done to our native shores that surpassed the Brits burning down Washington in 1812.

In that time of shock and grief, "W" seemed to symbolize a strong and stable leader to most Americans. That was the highest point of his Administration...there can be no harm in reminding America of that in a bid to be re-elected.

[ March 08, 2004, 14:26: Message edited by: Hacken Slash ]

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is directed mainly at Ankiseth_Vanir, but has some relevance for the last two posts as well:
    Possibly, but it's like the proverbial boy and the dike - there's only so many places you can be (or be looking) at once. And I highly doubt that Gore (or anyone else) would have done any better.

(Good grief, I'm actually defending Bush. Hell has indeed frozen over. :( )

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

And that "vigilant administration" would have had to have started being vigilant two administrations before...not 6 months before.

@Spunge...actually my friend, you are just a symptom of the latest Neocon plot...poison Canada's water supply with a secret toxin (found in Iraq) to cause the taker to become more Conservative.

Just wait, within 5 years you'll be voting for a resolution to disolve Canada and to join Mexico in becoming the 51st and 52nd States in the union.

Then we build the resorts...beaches in Mexico and ski resorts in Canada.

And the critics call "W" dumb :rolleyes: ;)

[edit] WAIT...I just figured it out...those who blame Bush for the 9/11 attack are actually saying that they would have supported a pre-emptive strick against Afganistan...invade without incident in April of 2001, and the New York skyline remains the same! I guess you Bush bashers are a little more "Hawkish" than I gave you credit for!

[ March 08, 2004, 16:03: Message edited by: Hacken Slash ]

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure. Right after someone takes Dubya aside and lets him know the word is not "Nookyaler." First things first. ;)

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    What he has proven is that he has contempt for unions. We can argue if whether or not unions represent the rank-and-file worker (in this case firefighters), but that would be a separate issue on its own. Sometimes the rank-and-file worker speaks through his/her leadership; sometimes not. In the case of 9/11 many firefighters were lost. To say that the union was not touched in anyway by the loss of its members and co-workers (remember that some union chiefs are firefighters themselves), is to ignore a large part of the issue and only focus on the politics of 9/11.

I've tried to make the point that much of the 9/11's tragic experience, and its relationship to this issue, is personal to those who lived through it, rather than those who got up on Tuesday morning and wacthed it unfold on TV. We all know that Shrub is using this event to hype his own election bid, and the real question is if whether or not it is fair. Some of us don't think it is fair to those who suffered through the experience; but in the scheme of politcs, where self-promotion, political gain and winning at all costs are all that matters, one can say that it is "fair game."

With all that said, Grey has made a good point of saying that the event of 9/11 changed Bush so completely that he reversed his "world view" after the event. It is fair for Shrub to make that case for his current policies, and that we should disregard a lot of what he said before he was elected. But Bush and the Republicans have to make that case; they must be willing to state the difference, and then lay out their case before the American people in a thoughtful and comprehensive way, rather than a high-priced, glossy-slick TV ad. How well they can convince the American people of that should determine how successful they will be in the long run.

Nevertheless, there are many of us who feel that we are seeing the "real" Shrub as president, and that all that has happened is not a result of 9/11, but that it offered an excuse for him and his associates to pursue a reckless policy of aggressive, preemptive warfare against the enemies of American interests; something they were planning all along. For us, it will take a lot more convincing.

[ March 08, 2004, 18:02: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.