1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gay Marriage in Canada

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Do you seriously think that the Gay community want marriage JUST so they can mock Christian fundies and other fundamentalists? If you believe that they do not do this to be able to have a healthy, monogamous, relationship and just do this to mock you, you really need to grow up from your single-minded views. Not everyone is out to get you, and to think otherwise is just pathetic.

Exactly. That is the basis of this whole thing. The moralic thing to do for one group may be atrocious for another. I am a Christian, and being so single-minded and quick to judge as the American Fundamentalists are, that is what I consider completely wrong and stupid.

And Chev, not everyone is a Catholic. It's VERY usual for non-Catholics to get married because they love eachother, not because they want kids. Me and my girlfriend are planning to get married, but we have no plans whatsoever to get kids, rather, the reverse.

You seriously want a goverment ruled by the Curch who oppress those who are not Christian? Please don't tell me you will ever run for a public office.

[ July 06, 2005, 11:24: Message edited by: Rutkowski ]

2. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/swift1.html

Do you remeber this ? This is quite old, but even today there are many gays not quite friendly to the rest of world. In fact many of them hate christianity, pure and simple. Desecration of Notre-Dame cathedral on June the 5th (month ago) is one recent example...

3. Register Gems: 29/31

Arendil, sure, but do you want me to bring up links such as this, this, and this?

Yeah, *******s goes both ways.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[rant]
    Holy f***!!! :toofar: Being an ass about such things is amusing only to a point.
    Reggie White was a saint! They have NO right to disparage such a great man! They are the ones who will be burning in Hell, and it can't happen soon enough for me. :shame:
    [/rant]
    (Guess who's a Packers fan. :D )

5. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My uncle is gay also. He recently got "married" to his partner of 10 some odd years. Why did he do it? Not to prove a point, not to laugh in the face of Christianity, not to say "Screw you society". He did at the suggestion of his lawyer of all people.

He and his partner co-own many things together, property, assests etc...They chose to enter into a civil union simply because if something should happen to one or the other, the surviving partner would be legally entitled to the deceased partners assests with no arguments. Just like a man and woman could in the same situation.

Up until his lawyer counseled him to do so, he never really cared about marriage. He was happy just being with someone. They didn't need a word to validate their feelings for each other.

I see the whole gay marriage issue as more of a legal issue not a political or religious one. It's not like all gays are going to go out and get married, a large portion of the community may not simply because they don't need to, they're happy with what they have.

All this does, is entitle your partner of however many years have an easier time after the loss of a loved one get their affairs in order. No more fighting over stupid things when you should be mourning the passing of someone you loved.

All the fuss is not about the legal rights of gays, it's about a word. Marriage. A word that has been adopted by certain groups and defined as a union between a man and a woman. A word!!!

Please, I wonder if half the people who are so dead set against this issue would be complaining if they called it homosexual civil union? Besides, the government isn't forcing churches to marry gays, churches still have the right to refuse to perform a ceremony if it contradicts their beliefs.

I have no problem with this law, in fact I'm glad that Canada has the compassion to recognize the rights and needs of all it's citizens. We have given equal rights to people who deserve them and haven't violated others rights by forcing them to do something they may not want to.

I'm proud (for the first time in a long time) of my government and proud to live in a country that tries not to discriminate against anyone.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gnarff - this is why I phrased my post as I did. I understand that your personal morality has no room for a gay couple adopting because your personal morality has no room in it for the concept that the gay couple could raise someone that you would consider "moral."

I no longer really try to argue about morality with people as it does no good. Everyone has their own moral code (whatever the source) and telling them that they are wrong is like trying to teach a pig to sing -- it's basically useless and it annoys the pig.

The whole point of my post was to see if I understood the point that Chev and a couple of others were making (I don't believe that you were part of that group). i.e., that homosexuals NEVER sought adoption for something other than making a statement or deceiving themselves and the world that they were somehow a "normal" family (what is that anyway?).

That is the only thing I was looking to get at. You can't argue morality, it is what it is. You can argue broad over-generalizations. That is what I was trying to do.

Given that no one has said whether my point is correct or not, I will assume that it is not important to the anti-homosexual-marriage/adoption crowd in the grand scheme of the argument of whether homosexuals should be able or allowed to adopt children.

7. Istolil Gems: 5/31

I'm for adoption dmc, my uncle would be a wonderful father to a child and would teach them right from wrong. You judge people on who they are, not who they do. It's almost like saying a murderer is a bad person, but a gay murderer is worse...

Judge people on their actions and convictions, not on their sexual preference. Since when is love immoral or a crime?

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Istoli - When you are talking to people who are devout Catholics (or pretty much devout any religion), consummated homosexual love is immoral and, probably, some kind of crime. You obviously feel differently, but you are not going to convince them to take a live-and-let-live attitude because of their belief in the here-after and because the ramifications according to their doctrine of the conduct are so great as to imperil someone's soul.

If you don't happen to go along with the soul concept, or do but don't go along with the dictates of the religion, then you adopt more of a live-and-let-live attitude. That's why I don't argue morality with anyone, it's useless.

9. Istolil Gems: 5/31

Well being Buddhist that's kinda the way it is. Live and let live. It doesn't matter if you're straight, gay whatever. It's your actions that define you. The only sexual conduct that they dissaprove of is beastiality, adultery and kids.

I agree with you about arguing morality. Each side believes that it's the right side. It's like the immovable object vs. the unstoppable force. Neither one wins. Now having said that I bet someone will pray for my soul. lol

Overall though the law that was passed was from a legal stand point like I explained earlier not a religious one. I know many people who go to churches who will not perform ceremonies, and frankly because of those attitudes most gays that I know would rather have a service performed by a Justice of the Peace to avoid the hassle.

In the news today I read that an NDP member of Parliament was essentially shunned from his own church because he voted for the bill. I think that is ridiculous, why shun the man who is voting on the behalf of the memebers of his riding. He may be against it but he did his duty and represented his riding. This is taking things a bit too far...

Morally right or wrong is totally subjective based on the individual. Love it or hate it's here to stay.

[ July 06, 2005, 20:53: Message edited by: Istolil ]

10. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Two questions;

1. Did something else get pushed through along with the law that made homosexual marriage legal?

2. Is there some part of the Canadian legal system that I don't know about? Edit: Clarification - regarding the loss of your personal freedom, as in... Because homosexuals can get married now, I can't _______.

Otherwise, regarding the loss of personal freedoms, or equal rights - well, I'm not sure how you lost out. Seriously.

As far as, 'faggot' being politically incorrect... well here you are saying it, although I'm not sure why. What have they been calling you?

[ July 06, 2005, 20:51: Message edited by: ArtEChoke ]

11. Istolil Gems: 5/31

Now if the government has said that religious groups HAD to marry these couples despite their beliefs, then those people's rights would be infringed and there would be a legitimate argument.

But as it stands if I were gay and say Baptist and wanted to get married in a Baptist church, the pastor has a right to refuse. Seems fair to me.

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I agree. Separation of church and state also means that churches have the right not to accept practicing homosexuals as clergy, or as teachers in private church-run schools (tho the State does maintain some control over teaching standards), or to marry gay couples, etc. And of course, people have every right to find homosexuality distasteful.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Istolil - thank you for bringing a real life example into this discussion. Your story illustrates exactly the sort of point I have been trying to make.

14. Istolil Gems: 5/31

*@HB- Anytime, hopefully this clarifies things more.*

I think that there's been a big missconception that with the passing of this law churches MUST marry gay couples. But just like the church doesn't dictate foreign policy, the government has no right to force the church to marry someone.

Like I said previously, this is more of a legal issue than social/religious issue. It's just allowing gay couples to have the same benefits as a married couple when it comes to the law, inheritance, health and insurance benefits etc...

Take the example I used before about my uncle. He did it so that if he died his partner would have fewer legal roadblocks to deal with when settling the estate. His choice had nothing to do with sticking it to anyone.

Now, that being said, there are those who will use it as a tool for attention, but I believe they are a minority. Unfortunately because they scream the loudest, that's the only thing people will hear and will base their opinions on the subject solely on a minority of the group.

It's like saying that all african-americans are criminals because we see it on tv all the time. It's not even close to being true, but the negative sells papers and gets ratings.

Just on a personal note. I have a really hard time with people who take a hardline approach to gays. My uncle is one of the most caring, kind, generous, loving, MORAL men I have ever known. And for someone who doesn't know him to claim he'll suffer for all eternity because he loves a man is sickening and hypocritical.

A person who on one hand says that we are all some creator's children (I'm not singling out any religion here) and that he/she loves us all (except you homos)is revolting.

It's hard line fundamentalist attitudes like this that are the cause of some of the bloodiest and darkest times in all human history.

Now that being said, I respect the fact that everyone has an opinion and has a right to an opinion. Just remember, times change, ideals change, morals change. It wasn't too long ago when women weren't considered people under the law, should that not have happened?

[ July 06, 2005, 23:40: Message edited by: Istolil ]

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm going to provide the legal background for this. What is engaged is the right to equality in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Basically, heterosexual couples were allowed to enter into a legal marriage but homosexual couples were not. The previous law denied a benefit to a distinct and identifiable group (homosexuals) that was available to others. The Canadian Supreme Court has recognized differentation on the basis of sexual orientation as discrimination.

Now, conceivably, it was open to Parliament to justify this under s. 1 of the Charter, which allows governments to limit Charter rights in a manner consistent with a 'free and democratic society'.

The tests are as follows:

1) A government must have a presssing and substantial objective to justify limiting that right or freedom.

2) A government doesn't have to choose the least intrusive or minimal means possible, but there must be a lack of reasonable alternatives.

3) The law must be rational (not arbitrary or unfair) in its pursuit of the objective.

4) The salutary effects of the law must outweigh the deleterious effects.

The problem arises at the first test. The Supreme Court has stated that imposing a particular vision of morality (for example, Christianity) doesn't qualify as a legislative objective to justify infringing Charter rights. With that said, it is open to Parliament to try to PROVE that gay marriage has a harmful effect on society. As in, they'd have to muster some pretty impressive social evidence to prove such since Parliament would carry the burden of proof. Not an easy task for Parliament as far as I can see.

Paul Martin in fact has stated that the whole reason for legalizing gay marriage was to bring the law in compliance with the Charter. Anyway, it reflects a certain stream of Canadian thinking that was summed up by Pierre Trudeau, one of the driving forces behind the Charter:

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Failure to teach children proper morality is a sin which falls on the head of the parents. If you start teaching certain things as morally acceptable that are sins, then those teachings count against you at the last day.

No, but it does mock traditional marriage whether that is their intent or not.

You can spin just about anything to be morally right. Just look at the record of the Nazi's in WWII. They had their own people believing that they were the master race and that certain groups ought to be forcibly relocated, enslaved and even exterminated, and that that was morally good. Does it make it Morally good? Further, Christian Doctrine forbids Homosexuality and claims it to be such an abomination, and any legitimization of such is blasphemy. There is a significant portion of the Religious community that will not forget this betrayal come the next election...

I would rather see a government that will stand for morality rathern than ease the transition from a benevolent State to an uncaring nation that cares little for any depravity as long as people seem happy in their sins...

You're right, it hasn't changed anyone's mind yet, nor is it likely to, but that doesn't relieve me of the moral obligation to defend Christian Morality.

I agree that not all such couples are trying to achieve some illusion or make some statement. But that's not important from my stance either...

Could those ends not be addressed with other, less offensive legislation? If he had lived with a woman for those 10 years and not cared about marriage, would she not have certain spousal rights? If they never legally married, but such rights were granted, then it is logical that these rights would extend to same sex couples. That would satisfy legal concerns and not mock the Religious community.

A Key point in Doctrine of some religious dogma. By changing that word, you ultimately change the dynamics of what is acepted as a family, and if the Family is core to a Religion, then that religion is being mocked unintentionally, and somewhat eroded...

Remember that some definitions (specifically Christianity, I can't speak for other religious groups) only consider sexual relations acceptable between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully married.

Arendil, Rutkowski, there are extremists on both sides. Arendil points out my worst fear (I'll expand on that when I get to ArtEChoke's post). Rutkowski cites a fear that's close behind it. It is a sin to claim that God wants one thing when you really have no way to be certain. Christianity teached that God is our Father in Heaven, and for him to hate any of his children unconditionally based on certain criterion is absurd. But that said, while he still loves his wayward sons and daughters, he does not condone their sins. That is the position that I wish Government would have taken on this matter--We don't hate the Gays, but we don't support what they do either.

Not really, If someone were to enter your uncle's home and start rattling off hatred from that God Hates Fags site that Rutkowski pointed out (which I do not accept as true doctrine), Would he be unwelcome? JUst as that NDP member that voted in favour of Gay Marriage was unwelcome because he betrayed the religious community that he claimed to be a member of. To them that was an act of Hypocrisy...

Actually there was a Hate Crimes legislation that was passed about a year ago, that on the surface looks like a good thing. The Intent, which I agree with, would mean an increased jail term for someone that used terms like "Nigger" or "Faggot" or other racial, sexist, anti-religious term while committing a violent crime (implying that it is a crime of hatred). Ultimately, it could pave the way to sensuring Scriptural references condemning homosexuality as immoral. Which leads to...

Gay Marriage, whether it is intended or not, mocks traditional marriage, which Christianity holds sacred, but for us to mock homosexuality (like a "Straight Pride" parade) would be a violation of that Hate Crimes legislation. The Rise of Gay Rights erodes traditional Christian morality. This is what I have opposed all along.

I don't know about the things that some of you might mumble under their breath about me when you read my posts.

That challenge could be made somewhere along the line under Anti Discrimination laws.

Theoretically, it should, but The separation of Church and state can be used to erode freedom of religion, and ultimately the influence of the church in general. While this may appeal to some of you, this is intolerable to others of us.

Despite the preamble which recognizes the Supremacy of God, the Court ruled something that a particular group contrends would violate that clause of the Charter. That clause suggests that Religious objections SHOULD be a valid reason to maintain a certain difference in rights. But that precident meand that a judge can rule that it is unconstitutional to deny a Gay Marriage under Religious grounds...

Actually, Earlier I tried to cite a reasonable alternative that would have been less intrusive, but nobody gave a rat's ass, did they?

Then they have no place granting legitimacy to Gay Marriage either...

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Maybe that's why they called it "Civil Unions" in New Zealand instead of Gay Marriage, to avoid mocking the church. So in NZ, everybody is happy.

18. Register Gems: 29/31

Riiight. That's healthy and all. I take it you enjoyed the Crusades and all that? After all, they were teaching the 'Christian morality' for the 'greater good', and that's all that counts, right? :rolleyes:

You wouldn't survive a minute in Sweden.

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @Harbourboy, must be a lot smart people in NZ. Civil Union is the correct term.

Actually no priest, minister or Justice of the peace performs a marriage; they witness it. Marriage is performed by the two people getting married.

20. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Beren, thanks for the background.

@Gnarlfflinger,
    The word/institution of marriage doesn't inherently belong to any religion. Christianity doesn't have a patent on it, and did not create it.

It was around before christians were.

Do you get offended that different cultures and religions use it too? Non-christian ones. When a muslim marries 4 wives, is this a mockery of "marriage" as well?

As far as the hate crimes legislation, its unrelated to the gay marriage law, isn't it? So the recent ruling (gay marriage, that is) really doesn't affect your freedom. It definately doesn't impact on your rights to be a practicing christian.

I suppose one could look at it, as denying you the ability to impose your religion on others. So in that regard you would have lost something.

Why can't you have a straight pride parade? It seems to me as long as it didn't focus on hating someone else, and was uh... centered on how great, er... "straightness" is, there would be no grounds to stop it.

:lol: And you never will know!

I was asking why, "faggot" being politically-incorrect, impacted on your equality. It seemed to me, that someone was allowed to call you names, but you weren't allowed to return the slur... or something. Why would you even want to call someone, "faggot?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.