1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gay Marriage in Canada

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think it's a good thing. The religious zealots can sit on a lemon as far as I'm concerned. There is supposed to be a thing called Seperation of the Church and State. Thats why police can't interfere with religious proceedings, so why should a church be able to interfere with a political thing.

As for the argument of marriage being sacred I have one name for you: Britney Spears. A 55 hour marriage because she felt like it. Marriage is about as sacred as sex is now days.

As for the idea of a gay couple adopting a child I don't see why not.

This whole paragraph is a little inaccurate. As a child you are subject to prejudice no matter what. Am I the only one who remembers being a child and being picked on and picking on others. It doesn't matter what kind of family you come from.

The thing is that the Liberals didn't sell out from the beliefs of their constituants. It's not the Conservative party that voted to pass this legistration, it was the Liberal party and the Bloc.

For a country that prides it self on being multi cultural it's about time we accepted all cultures. Even the gay culture. It's also about time that Canada stepped up and did something for it's people without having to follow the U.S.A's lead.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ArtEChoke, most modern countries don't have orphanages any more (and if they do, they're not the Dickensian institutions of yore and more), and foster homes/adoption is obviously the best an orphaned or abandoned child can ever hope for, so I'm not sure what your point it. Comparatively, I'd say that both options would still be much preferable than being put into the care of a gay couple. Because, as I said, the gay parents can be the kindest people in the world, but their children will still be the subject of ridicule every time they'll set foot outside of their home. We're still centuries away from societal mentality that would be changed enough to view kids with gay parents equal to those with heterosexual ones. And considering that gay coupling goes against biological principles, the society's tolerance may never reach that point.

No, it's not inaccurate. It's an addition to what everyone already knows happens with kids. That's why I wrote it. Try imagining being a fat and ugly kid. Got a mental image?

Now add to that gay parents that everyone knows about.

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This used to be the case in the US with mixed-race marriages. The South used to have "miscegenation" laws prohibiting marriage or even intercourse between people of different races, and I'm sure one of the arguments was "think of the stigma the children will face." Today, however, mixed race dating is perfectly accepted in most of the US (perhaps backwoods red states excepted), and the idea that mixed race children will be tormented at school is laughable.

Similarly, children adopted by gay parents might be teased in some parts of the country, but certainly not in all parts. In fact, wouldn't really be a big deal in most urban centers in the US and Canada. And how much sense does it make to legislate against something simply because one group of people are prejudiced and might become insulting or violent?

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Wasn't something once said about the children of divorcees? :rolleyes: Benan's got the right of it - kids will always find something to pick on each other about.

Funny, I look at that same insistence and come to exactly the opposite conclusion. How could two people who love children so incredibly much that they're willing to cross all the extra hurdles and societal obstacles that gay adoption faces be considered selfish?

"Normal" as of what period in history? Wet nursing and fostering used to be "normal" but have gone out of fashion, so why not the closed-minded attitude about same-sex adoptive parents? If you seriously want to make sure that every child has an equal right to a "normal childhood", maybe there had better be a litmus test for prospective biological parents too. Where would you like to start with that, Tal? :rolleyes:

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

:o Bzzzt! Sorry wrong answer! Being placed with a family who cares for, and deeply loves a child, is the best thing they can hope for. A foster home is not the same thing.

In addition, it *helps* if said family doesn't have the alterior-motive of a monthly income from the state, with little-to-no supervision from an overworked social services department, of how said family spends said money! :)

Disclaimer, I have no idea how social services/foster homes/orphans/whatever work in Canada, in the U.S., though, it can be pretty poor.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Comparing this issue to the issues with race in the US isn't really fitting. With mixed marriages, you will eventually get a large segment of population which will not be completely white or completely black, but somewhere in between. In time, most of it evens out, and only the extremes remain.

With homosexual unions, this will never be the case. They will always be in the minority (unless Mother Nature seriously screwed up somewhere along the way), and a homosexual couple will never be able to produce a child. These are basic, biological facts. A child in a homosexual union will always be an anomaly. 500 or 5000 years from now it won't be any more natural, not unless two people of the same sex suddenly evolve the capability to conceive a child.

What do you base that opinion on? Do you know some facts that indicate that children in some parts of the US are more tolerant of other children with gay parents? Because in my experience, children can be more or less equally vicious no matter where you are. Just because it isn't making the headlines doesn't mean it's not happening. Your last question is valid, certainly... it doesn't, in truth. But the problem is that in my opinion, few gay parents who had the chance and means to adopt a child wouldn't do it on the basis of how the child would feel about it. They can't know in advance, obviously, if a child is too young to understand what the implications are. So they will dare to presume that the child wouldn’t mind being raised by gays, which is not even remotely a given. But what if we're talking about a child old enough to know what being gay means, and who wouldn't want to live with such parents, but would be forced to because a law would have been passed that would state that gay parents have an equal right to adoption? Where do the child's wishes come into play?

Mixing some more apples and oranges? Prejudice against children of divorcees can only be based in religion, not biological facts.

That's because you're looking at it from the gay couple's perspective, not the child's. There's no mention of the child's perspective in your response. Only how the poor gay couple will be facing obstacles and hurdles. I hate to break it to you, but an adult gay couple who's lived a whole life of it will be infinitely better equipped to deal with it than a child who will be thrust into it without being aware of it, or against his or her wishes. The child will have to live to maturity and independence in the shadow of the parents before being able to disassociate him or herself from their actions or sexual orientation.

Normal as of any period of history. To my knowledge, gay couples have never in the history of humankind held the same status (if any) as heterosexual ones, anywhere in the world.

There's nothing close-minded about my opinion. I’m simply expanding your horizons beyond what rearing children means for gay parents. You'll need something better than silly suggestions and rolling eyes to convince me that a child raised by a gay couple will have anything remotely close to a normal childhood or puberty. I'm the last to claim that total security and parental fitness are guaranteed in heterosexual families or by heterosexual single parents. But in ideal conditions there, the environment is certainly healthier for raising socially adapted children who won't develop complexes or identity issues because they'll have two mommies or two daddies who'll have to call their friends of the opposite sex to advise their children of the opposite sex on issues they won’t have a clue about, because there are things in life they just won’t be able to learn from books or the Internet. I won't even get into the higher potential for sexual abuse when two same-sex people adopt a child of another gender. Ask any psychologist.

You see, it always comes down to what's best for the child, because the child is the party in this debate that is the most vulnerable and prone to abuse. Not to gay couple.

Uh, so you’re saying that by default all foster homes hate or mistreat the children they take in? Come on… The two people I know who’ve come from foster homes have had a way better childhood and parents than most of the kids I know who’ve had “real” parents. Also, you must have missed that I included adoption in my response.

How the system works is different from country to country. Here people get too little money from it to be considered anything but charity, so people don’t go for it for the money in most cases. If the system in the US is broken, it doesn’t mean it’s like that all over the world, or that the system wouldn’t work if it were fixed. We’re talking globally here, not just how it is in the US.

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Where?

A point I gladly concede, and in fact, I thought I did concede that in my post.

More importantly though, an open question to any adults participating in this discussion:

a) Were you ever picked on in school?
    b) Are you ok?

[ June 30, 2005, 22:19: Message edited by: ArtEChoke ]

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@ArtEChoke

a) Yes
    b) Yes

I don't see a single thing wrong with the legalization of same-sex marriages. I am happy for everyone this affects. And I believe that connected to that, same-sex couples should be allowed to adopt.

Saying that same-sex couples should not be allowed to adopt on the basis of 'teasing' is a cop-out answer. Like it has been said, everyone gets teased. Of course there are degrees to this, but this doesn't mean that it will be based on family status.

Example:

In my school, there was a child who was raised by two gay men, one who was his father, the other, the father's life partner. He was popular, he excelled at sports, and he was never teased beyond the initial stages that everyone endures. In fact, he teased other students more then they teased him. From elementry to high school, he never had it anymore difficult then anyone else. In fact, he had it easier then most. I was bothered more then him.

I don't see how having same-sex parents can affect you more then having a mother and a father, just a mother, just a father, grandparents, an uncle, or any other sort of family structure, other then giving the child a little different perspective on life.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Refresh my memory, Tal, how many children have you raised? The fact is, since I am not a gay parent nor do I know any, my horizons regarding child welfare are likely broader than those regarding parent-rights.

You did a neat job of skirting the issue of how historical perspective changes over time by invoking biology. Nice to see someone find a tool other than the Bible for not answering a question. :thumb: Don't worry, I won't bring it up again.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Aha! A new reason not to allow gay men to adopt children: the kids grow up to be jocks and bullies! :lol:

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes, Spain jumped to the wagon too...
    We also had letters from the Pope...
    Just the minute after politicians announced the new law, we had marching people against it: from 'family asociations' to religious people; when the Pope sent the letter, the local bishop said that homosexual peole 'is sick', 'they are mutations' (sic). Church is offended because they say that 2 people of the same sex can't be married, that union CAN'T be called marriage, because that word is used for a normal family. Other organizations uses children as excuse for protesting: they even take kids to manifestation, they say that couples of the same sex not only can't educate kids but also they are corrupted.
    Today the law was approved; until yesterday we had the church pushing around worried about the use of the word 'marriage' and the education kids may get if they are fostered by gay/lesbians; I just wonder this: where is the church when there are kids fighting guerrilla in Colombia, Congo, and many other countries; where is the church when in Africa there are millions of kids starving; everyday I see kids growing with 'normal' families that aren't much of good examples, so I don't see that kids growing with 'not normal' families could be worst than them.
    Also, I think that church can't get into political matters like they are trying to do here saying to the Spanish King that they are catholics so they have to get they hands to stop the government from doing what they are doing. Ridiculous.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    It's way more than just teasing, as I explained in my previous post.

I'm sorry, but you can't really know what his growing up was like apart from external appearances... which can often be very deceiving. And even if everything was picture-perfect as you describe, not every kid with gay parents is going to be excelling at sports, be handsome and popular. Kids lucky enough as that are way more likely to be able to battle off the stigma of their parents by default.

Well, there was nothing to indicate that in your posts, unfortunately. How many children you or me have raised is irrelevant to this discussion, unless either of us is a gay parent. And we're not. However, what I have had is some sociological & psychological education (focusing on child psychology), so I'm intimately familiar with the topic.

Sure, historical perspective changes... where it's possible for it to change. This requires the circumstances to also change. However, the basic biological circumstances regarding this issue aren't going to change anytime soon. And actually, I was talking about this from the biological perspective all along, if you care to check my posts. And as far as I remember, the only question of yours that I didn't answer was the silly "litmus test" one. It's pretty much the same as Bion's last question in my second response, so you can read my response there.

You know, you can only push liberalism up to the point where it does more harm than good to everyone involved. A sanity check is in order at that point.

13. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well -- my 2 cents worth:

I think a child raised by a homosexual couple would have many more difficulties than other children. We all pretty much know that being a kid isn't easy...there's enough struggles and issues a child has to deal with. I see this being just one more added to the pile.

Our society, as it is, still doesn't recognize same sex marriages as the norm -- not yet anyways...so bringing up a child under those conditions already forces the child to live in a quasi-abnormal environment. Adjustments will have to be made. Questions will arise when he sees his playmates coming from an extremely different homelife.

And I can't help but wonder....what is there to keep the parents from forcing their own sexuality choice on the unassuming child? Will the child be allowed to make his or her own choice? Will the child feel awkward if he doesn't feel like he has the same sexual base as the parents? There are so many issues that this child will have to face.

I also can't help thinking that the 2 people who know more than anyone else the difficulties and hardships that this child will go through are the parents themselves. So to knowingly incur this hardship on their child -- well, it does seem a bit selfish to me. Why would you want to put your child through that? Out of love?? Or out of making a personal statement that "we're the same as everyone else".

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I personally don't have a problem whatsoever with gay marriage, and I think anyone that does, needs a bang on the head. I think gay couples raising children is a touchy subject. I don't really know what my feelings are on this.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with the people who say that kids get picked on and teased for plenty of other reasons. When I was at school some poor kid was always getting a hard time because his Mum featured in a really cheesey TV commercial. Should we ban TV commercial actors from raising kids?

Unless, your countries are far more intolerant than the one I live in, I see no more issues with having homosexual couples raise children than I do with any other type of couple. I see so many heterosexual couples who shouldn't be allowed within a mile of any child.

16. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I think that that argument could work the other way as well. Many young gay people could feel pressured to follow the same sexuality as their hetro-sexual parents. It could be that homo-sexual parents might be a little more encouraging about the child finding their own path, as they have experience in knowing what pressures a child can face when it comes to sexuality.

17. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

For the first time ever, I invoke: ROTFLMAO! I took some classes, so I'm intimate?

Yeah, Rally's experience as a parent means nothing compared to your classes. :rolleyes:
    Classic.

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It is the definition of marriage that has been undermined. When I do marry the woman of my choice and father children with her, I plan to teach my children the definition of Marriage issued by my church, not by the government. I am offended that the school my children will attend will likely teach a different definition of marriage.

The law cannot protect Christians from being forced to legitimize and accept them. When a minister/priest/bishop refuse, they can be taken to court and accused of discrimination, which is also against the law. It’s only a matter of time before that happens…

A horror I cannot bear to imagine. To have children taught that it is normal and acceptable, when it clearly is not, is an offence to all sensibility.

I can accept that. The law is the law. Even when it is a bad one, it is still the law.

On the other hand, if common law relationships get some recognition under the law, then that should apply to same sex couples, but that they should be denied legal and lawful marriage…

It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to think about what a little boy with two male parents would endure in a locker room as he gets older…

Get some cult of nut cases that starts sacrificing humans and see what the police can do in that case. The Law trumps worship. That’s my biggest beef with the new law. The fact is that it cannot protect religious leaders from being forced to use the name of God to legitimize something that is considered an abomination.

Marriage is still sacred, it is just that people like Britney Spears defile it with such antics. Sex is sacred too, but people defile it by having sex outside of legal and lawful marriage or having sex with people of the same gender. It is an insult that sex and marriage are defiled like they are.

But the one that’s really different is subject to the worst of the torment. I grew up with Tourette Syndrome, and didn’t receive a diagnosis until I was 16. West Lorne is a small town, so someone different sticks out like a sore thumb. I got it worse than anyone because I was different. I would imagine that a child raised by a gay couple would get picked on fiercely…

A member of Parliament has to represent all the people in his riding, regardless of who they voted for. Thus, the Liberals and Bloc abandoned the religious people in their ridings to push a controversial legislation through.

They also could have beaten the Americans to the punch by outlawing that crap too, and that would be doing something for a greater number of its people. Gay culture is a creation. It is created to give a group of deviants their own identity and let them legitimize their sins, rather then struggle with the temptations they face and repent when they fall short.

Exactly, Homosexuality is not natural. It is a choice, not a naturally occurring phenomenon. As long as there is a segment that is taught that Homosexuality is a sin, then homosexuality will never be truly accepted.

So has morality, but you don’t see it totally abandoned. If I understand correctly, wet nursing and fostering are morally required of parents. It is disgusting that morality is cast aside because some people don’t like it.

And what about a woman who gets pregnant out of wedlock and keeps the child because mother’s allowance pays more than welfare? Then, rather than taking care of the child’s needs, she blows the money on alcohol, drugs and cigarettes. How is that any better to the foster homes you describe?

Even in Ancient Greece, where some thinkers considered Homosexual relations preferable to heterosexual relations, the law required men of position to marry and father children…

First, yes, I was, and rather viciously. Second, I’m not sure. I am still not comfortable being me in some circumstances. I haven’t quite learned to live with my disorder because I stand out. I still feel self conscious of my tics.

So in order to cope, he learned to pick on other people to deflect the attention away from himself. Just the kind of attitude we want in the next generation…

Evidently it can be pushed a lot farther than that…

And I’d be inclined to believe that is a knock against Christianity. Our beliefs teach us that homosexuality is a sin, and we ought to oppose any attempt to legitimize sin whenever possible.

I’m not so sure there either. Some Homosexuals believe that their ways are superior to those of heterosexuals, and may not look kindly to their offspring getting involved with a member of the opposite sex…

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Those who think that having gay parents wouldn't be a big flashing neon sign over a kid's head saying 'Pick on me!' are being ignorant. I go to a pretty tame school, and there's a huge amount of bullying already (a lot of it - most of it, even - being about people being 'gay') - I can only imagine what it might be like at one of the state schools. Of course, the kid would no doubt find out how 'wrong' his parent's relationship is in primary school - primary school kids are arseholes, I assure you.

Popular kids with plenty of charisma can get out of being bullied about anything. Most people don't have that protection. Being associated with 'gayness' is a social stigma worse that being fat, being lame, ect.

Oh, and yes, I would say that if Tal has studied that matter, he is more familiar with it than Rally who hasn't - because having a nice fine heterosexual relationship has jack all to do with this. She might be more familiar with young children - but I don't think they're of an age to have come up against any serious bullying yet anyway (right?).

I don't care about gay marriages - I don't even see why it's an issue - but adopting children (young children especially, who don't know what they're being signed up for) is, IMO, a Bad Idea.

20. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I wouldn't know if homosexuality is natural or not but I disagree that it is a choice. I have many gay friends. While they may have chosen to accept even embrace that they are gay, they certainly didn't choose to be so.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.