1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Games with best music and sound

Discussion in 'Playground' started by AlexGK, Aug 14, 2003.

1. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Some games just must be seen.There are, however, some that must be heard.Very often present or lack of good music and sound makes some games different.Like Age of Wonders or Warlords III for me - not bad games actually but far from brilliand.With great music however.Played Warlors for hours before just for the feeling.Other game - Chrono Trigger.Great game but I made the experriment and shut it's music down..... Hard to say but could not play it for long since.So the question is have you also played such games?Games whose melodies ring in your mind long after the end?Or on the other side - such ones that were good but the awfull enviroment made you trow them away?Here I would say - Eard 2150.And hard to say this, but Icewind Dale 2's music was also much much worse than the original.And to think of it - I've playd IWD 4 times and IWD2 - only once....

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

final fantasy, warcraft 3

3. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

What do you mean Warcraft 3?I was rather disapointed by it's sound... not that it's bad, but nothing genial IMHo.

4. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Baldur's Gate I, Icewind Dale I

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Atlantis - The lost legend

6. Carambré Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I must say that, in BG2, I thought the voice actor for Irenicus was without peer, especially in the battle on the Tree of Life. His speech was probably the most credible in the game, as the emotions in it sounded genuine. The music in that game got on my nerves a bit though.

7. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Homeworld had some of the best music and sound I've ever heard in any game. They really added to the atmosphere of the game.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Warcraft II

Icewind Dale I (gap intentional), ToB has some nice tracks

Blackmoon Chronicles had nice ones too

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Baldur's Gate, either one. Battle music just ruled.
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time had some nice sound effects. Escpecially the last battle.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Final Fantasy VII wasn't awarded for the best soundtrack of the year for no reason. There were few tracks there I didn't like incredibly much.

Chrono Trigger is also a legend, Chrono Cross even is quite good.

As I've said before, I'm a very auditorial (sp?) person, so musics and sounds mean probably more to me than anything else. They create the feeling, and the emotions. Even if the graphics and gameplay sucked, I can still enjoy a game like no other, provided it has a great soundtrack. The same goes vice versa as well. I remember a few games from my past which were really good in every other aspect save for the musics. I just couldn't stand them for that.

Edit: I seem to think Arcanum was one where I had to take the sounds off because of the annoying whine of a music that it had.

Same as now that I've tried DoD and Jedi Outcast (the whatever mod that added soundtrack and soundeffects directly from the first 3 movies (episodes 4-6) + episode 1 Darth Maul's track), I just can't stand the normal *puf* effects when firing a weapon or *sss...* effects when hitting with a lightsaber. They have to be *KH-POW!" and *FZZTSHH!". Yeah, looks stupid on the screen when I write it like that. Put I hope it does the job of telling what I mean. When it's so easy to import realistic sounds, why the heck not do it? There's a huge difference to the atmosphere of any game when instead of it sounding like some carboard soldiers being ripped by a child, it sounds like massive cannon and gunfire being fired all over the place like you were in WW2 (I've been in the army, as I've said, so I do have real experience of what a field-battle sounds like with cannons, bazookas and assaultrifles being fired from all around you... and the best of game examples can copy this exactly (without the rumble of earth of course), so it's only a matter of wether the developers want to do it or not).

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

THe music in BG1 and Act 1 in Diablo 2 are just great....

12. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ejem... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the arcade game... great music, the voices and expresions of the guys, exelent.

13. The Wise One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Heroes of Might and Magic series has very good ambient music and sound effects. The battle music isn't as striking as the rest, though.

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

the music in warcraft3, sound is just sound

15. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Best sound by a long way is that in Thief/Thief II. Done well and it formed an integral part of the game itself.

I've never played a game where I actually want to keep the music on for more than five minutes, although with sound in general in many games I'm happy to switch it off and play without sound.

16. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31

I love the FFIII music (moogle's song is awesome :) and so's just about every other actually...) and the music for Descent is good, even though the game's graphics are so-so

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

for me it would have to be ghost recon. you could hear people walking up behind you, tree's swaying, the wind, the gunfire all sounded real, when you killed someone the screams were pretty realistic, and the rocket fire sounded real(ive heard laws go off before)

18. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

@Foradasthar,
    heh man then try DJ Boy for Gens it has awesome soundtracks by the bosses.

19. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I like the PS:T soundtrack.. The IWD soundtrack aren't bad either :)

20. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

When it comes to music Icewind Dale 1 is the winner, especially in Dorn's deep and lower Dorn's deep. Also the music in Arcanum is pretty cool to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.