1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game recommendations for CRPGs

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Party management is very similar to Jade Empire (and to a certain extent Dragon Age). NPCs level with your main character even if you don't take them with your main all the time (makes for a more convenient party management where BG 1 and 2 required some planning).

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Dark Sun games also springs to mind. If I remember correctly, you could create a full party in those games.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, I played the DSUN games over and over back in the day. Great stuff there. Was even playing them on my new Win 7 system, via dosbox, not that long ago.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

How did you get them to work? I have trouble getting those to work on dosbox.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Good question Rawgrim. I believe Ziad helped me with it. I started to play them in small window screen, as the widescreen was giving me lots of trouble, but eventually figured it out with some reading and tweaking. This thread is what got me started at any rate, hope it leads you to something helpful.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I can wholeheartedly recommend:

# Drakensang - Played it and liked it a lot. I have not yet played the sequel, but I guess I will
    # Mass Effect 1 and 2 - brilliant games, real fun
    # KotoR I + II - Highly recommended. Fun stuff.
    # Dragon Age - Really good.
    # Jade Empire was fun as well. Nice game.

8. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If you can handle dated graphics, some bugs and a not-user-friendly combat system, try Darklands. You can create a group of 4 persons, with different backgrounds, skills and so forth. I liked the games atmosphere and how problems could be solved in many different ways.

If really simplified graphics and lack of sounds won't bother you, I recommend Nahlakh. The game system is excellent. Tactical but simple combat system, innovative spell casting and lots of skills (and levels). Looks a lot like Ultima IV, but it's a bit more dungeon crawlish. I played hundreds of hours about 15 years ago :D .

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have to say that after the first couple of minutes I find The Witcher intriguing.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Did someone say my name? :D

Rawgrim, if you want to describe the problem you're having I can try and see if I can help with it :)

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Arcanum and Planescape:Torment
    ...both dated, both can be played with a small party. Planescape had a great story while Arcanum, well it can get pretty long. I personally didn't get to finish Arcanum for various reasons (not really because of the game).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.