1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game of Thrones 14-minute Sneak Peek (HBO) *spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Taluntain, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Just like Tal, I was entralled by the opening of the story, which we all saw in the trailer. Yet, after the first few books it really goes nowhere, and instead goes into a different story. I guess you agree that it was merely a plot device, and not really central to the action of the actual story.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right. Not central to the story so far. I expect it to become central in the future; otherwise why start the story as it was, and why have all the mystery and tidbits of forgotten lore?

3. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well in the books(specifically book 2 pg381), they say that the wall's base is so thick that it would take 100 men a year to cut through it with picks & axes.

So if the show is depicting it as a straight wall it is wrong. Hope that helps:)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For such a megalomaniacal structure there to be no record or collective memory what it was supposed to protect against besides wildlings and Others... well, that's a silly notion on Martin's part as well.

The I&F wiki also writes that initially the wall was much smaller but that they kept increasing it over the years... but that doesn't make sense with no threat behind it that would require such a massive barrier. This is just something that bothers me because even fantasy has to make some logical sense in order to be believable... for me, the Wall just doesn't work. It's a deus-ex-machina that Martin is trying to pass off as man-made with no divine help.

Thanks for the info... then I guess Martin really isn't going anywhere with the Wall since he was happy for it to be depicted as straight in the series. And some more food for thought - why would anybody bother trying to get through or over such a massive wall when it'd be infinitely easier to dig under it?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why would it be easier to dig under it? The ground is frozen just as hard as the Wall.

Now why was the Wall increased in size over the years? I assumed the peril lasted for a while and the Wall was made bigger and stronger during that time. Then such building and maintenance became part and parcel of the routine of the Night's Watch so continued even when the peril disappeared. What else do they have to do up in the frozen North when not defending the land from whatever than continue the routine of building the Wall? And after 8 millennia... well now it's a behemoth. :) Doesn't seem all that far fetched given we don't have much detail about the time in between when it was built and now.

I think that is the collective memory now. But after 8 millenia a lot is forgotten and people don't believe that the Others even exist any more let alone what they were capable of. The wildliings I think came to be a secondary threat used as a reason to keep the Night's Watch going (as much as it is) and the Wall maintaned somewhat when the Others disappeared.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The wall is magical. It is imbued with wards and magic to keep out what lurks in the north. My interpretation after several readings of the books is that the physical wall is the least important aspect of it and the magical boundaries the true wall. Wildlings in small groups are shown to cross the wall quite easily and at will and it is depicted more like a huge pile of ice than a wall as we imagine walls for long stretches. It is easy to forget that aSoIaF is a fantasy series, not a historical novel. There may not be much magic in the books but it doesn't mean it doesnt existin the setting. For me the intro and the wall has always been a present and succesful plot device. You see a united kingdom unravel while all the time you know that the true danger, the true threat lies elsewhere hidden but creeping closer. Even if there may be some practical problems with a huge wall. For me it works. It is almost what I like the most with Martin's story, on the surface it appears to be a human story of blood, love and hate with pure human themes, as Chandos said "medieval soap opera" but the lurking threat is always there, the fantastic and the magic is always just behind the scenes, in the corner of your eye. In the latter books it becomes more obvious. I just hope that Martin manages to tie it all together which I sadly have serious doubts about. Ten years is a long time to force out a story.

Watched the second episode, liked it too. Not overly impressed with the wolves but I dont think I have ever been impressed by movie wolves. Huskies or whatever they are using aint wolves and a trained dog doesnt act like a wolf would. It still sent chills down my spine when Summer ripped out that guys throat.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was at that point that Teen Snook decided we should get a wolf as a pet. :D

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The ground is normally only frozen so deep... if you get beyond the point of freezing, you're good to go. If the ground was frozen beyond what's normal, the subterranean passages at Castle Black wouldn't be possible either.

As for far fetched... well, the whole notion that an entire continent wouldn't see any real technological development in over 8000 years is very far fetched, but the notion that the Night Watch would operate continuously throughout that period despite of all the wars, turmoil and unbelievable amount of history going by and no apparent threat for thousands of years... well, that's not just far fetched, that's real fantasy there.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I wouldn't say no progress, but certainly it was slower than our reality. The fantasy in Westeros is certainly different where several millenia of peace on the continent and not much changes is the norm. Is that far fetched? It is compared to our reality sure, but why is something different than our reality far fetched?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, it is and it isn't. If you view it as strictly fantasy, then anything goes, really. Could be 8000 or 80000 years and if Martin put in neon green flying hippos bent on world domination, it'd still be just fine. But when you've got a very magic-light fantasy setting which borrows most of the elements from our own history (especially the Dark Ages), then it's a bit harder to justify wild deviations from it when the rest is (figuratively) copy/paste from the history books.

I think the crux of the problem is Martin's characteristic low-magic setting. That only works if you've got absolutely nothing in the books that would make infinitely more sense if explained as due to magic.

Say, the Wall. If Martin's explanation was that the Gods helped create it or that it was due to a concentrated effort by several generations of mages, a 210 meter high wall of ice spanning half the continent would make infinitely more sense than trying to sell it as man-made. The thing is, in fantasy literature, you expect deus ex machinae. Where Martin fails is at sticking so much to our own history, but also coming up with such wild plot devices as the Wall, which have nothing even remotely comparable in all of our history. The Great Wall of China, which a number of Chinese states constructed at insanely high cost over a period spanning about 2 millennia is a picket fence compared to Martin's wall of ice. And millions of workers built the Chinese wall, about 1 million are estimated to have died building it and 6 people were required to feed and support every wall builder. All of this in a normal environment, nowhere near as harsh as that in Martin's books.

Anyway, my point is simply that in Martin's setting, such a wall can't really be explained away as simply a product of 8000 years of labour. There are way, way too many problems with that idea. It would have been infinitely better if its construction had been attributed to magic.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's not, but it has make sense within the context of its own reality, that which the author is attempting to craft. In this instance, as Joac points out, magic is in the background, which I suppose makse it technically "high" fantasy, but the story goes off in a more historical context, [medieval civil war], and the two are not really in sync, for whatever reason Martin has decided upon. In fact, it was once mentioned to me by a publisher, [St. Martin's Press] some years ago at least, that it must be either one or the other, since they won't really mesh well together. I realized the sense in what he was saying.

Nevertheless, I hope you are right, that that particular thread is something to be developed later in the books - that would be fun and something I would like to see.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Sure, but I think it is. The idea is that the world was more magical in the past than it is now. The children of the forest were highly magical and were around at the time of Barndon the Builder Stark when he built the Wall. Just because there is very limited magic seen in the story so far doesn't mean it was very limited in the past.

I think that's what sells it for me: There are constantly hints of a more magical past and forgotten lore. The Godswoods and the carved faces in the weirwoods within. The magical properties of the Wall and of Storm's end. Dragons were around no so long ago but now they are all believed dead until
    Daenerys magically revives and hatches three eggs.
    The entire nature of the Others and them
    bringing the dead back to life (or at least undead).
    The Shadow Lands, Asshai, the red priests (Thoros and Melisandre especially) and so on. There's not a lot of magic, but there are hints and portents galore.

Oh, I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't turn out that way :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  13. Taluntain

Media:
    I spoilered some of your spoilers to keep this thread relatively spoiler-free.

As for the world being more magical in the past, well, I guess that could work, but then again, the wall was supposedly much smaller at the time of Bran the Builder, with the bulk being added later on, so I don't know. I enjoy Martin's writing overall, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but view the wall as an inconsistency. The depiction of it in the HBO series makes no sense either.

It's disappointing for me because the whole concept of the wall seemed really intriguing to me in the beginning, but it didn't hold up to scrutiny and Martin apparently didn't really do anything with it either. 5+ books is way too long to properly explain the wall in a way that would make sense.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well the Wall itself is sold on me just because no real time was spent explaining it so I can come up with lots of plausibilties myself. I mean it's made of ice in a place that's constantly frozen, so it could have just about built itself after the first part built by Brandon :)

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have always seen it as a story about the wall and whats behind it. I think that is the main story and was intended to be it, my guess is that Martin got carried away with describing the civil war and the background to the wall being undermanned and no one noticing that something very bad is going on.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Holy moly. This thread has revived the geek factor of these forums. Only a bunch of nerds of the highest order could spend 3 pages debating the plausibility of a WALL in a fantasy book.

My hat goes off to you. You are all legends.

And by the way, you will NEVER find out the answer because George R R Martin will never finish writing those books!! Grrrr!! I'm sure I read them ten years ago! I definitely didn't have kids then and my son is now 7.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    You'd be surprised what you could find people discussing on over 100 pages on the Internet... a prominent feature of a novel series is certainly low on the list of surprising things. :shake:

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm with Harbs on this. I've been watching this thread grown in amazement, thinking, how can these guys be arguing about the appropriateness of a friggin' wall in a fantasy book?

But it's been amusing, so I haven't bothered to chime in until now.

You're all geeks! (As if we didn't know that already, posting, as we do, on a CRPG website.)

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ha! You're one to talk with all the geekiness in the Diablo threads you and Aldeth expound in. :)

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe so, not saying I'm not a geek.

(Are you saying you read all of that when you're not playing D2? I think that confirms your uber-geekiness! :p)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.