1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game of Thrones 14-minute Sneak Peek (HBO) *spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Taluntain, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Feast your eyes on a clip from the first episode... the show airs in a week's time on HBO:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I saw both this and a "making of" special. This series is gonna kick ASS!

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am saving myself for the full airing. This has the possibility of being truly great.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Omg I think I just came.

The Great Snook likes this.
  5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That was pretty good, but not really great. I hope the series is better than the books. Speaking of which, I don't think they are finished yet. It will be interesting to see if this gets Martin working on some sort of conclusion.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Book 5 is out this summer, actually. Its available for pre-order now. If I remember correctly, its going to be 7 books all in all.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The fact that its on HBO bodes very, very well. All of their shows are outstanding.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    If I'm not mistaken, and I don't follow this series of books all that closely, wasn't it like several years since the last book? book 4? Given that, how many years will it take to finish the last 2? I guess I'm wondering if this series will light a fire under Martin's butt to get some sort of conculsion. I think his fans, at least, would appreciate that.

I agree, given the few I have seen.

9. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

It looked very good but I can't get the channel showing it here. Oh well.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm sure it'll be released on DVD as well...

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually, I bet it will get canceled after awhile. Bible-thumpers complaining about swearing and nudity etc. It happened to Deadwood and Rome.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I disagree, the good shows last as long as they want to (Sopronos, The Wire, Oz, etc.) Also, the protests don't seem to work as well with networks that charge a premium to watch. There aren't any advertisers to bully.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Rawgrim, are you sure Rome wasn't cancelled because it was booooring?

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    The Sopranos is an HBO production? I didn't know that. While I don't get HBO, [I think we get Showtime instead, but I don't really watch it], I saw a couple of those on some other station, at least portions of them. I had heard all the media propaganda about The Sopranos, but seeing it, I thought is was not very good. The impression I got was that it was like a Mafia soap opera, something that had to followed show to show, but not very engaging as stand-alones.

I've never heard of The Wire, or Oz, but I liked the John Adams series [I have the DVD set].

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Deadwood and Rome got canceled because their audiences dried up and they were crazy-expensive to produce, not because anyone complained about their content. True Blood has more boobs, butts, blood, guts, foul language and even blatant evangelical Christian-bashing than both of those shows combined, and it's the most popular show HBO has ever had.

@ Chandos,

The Wire was one of the most critically-acclaimed shows of the last decade. Highly recommended. Oz was pretty good, too, though it was older and not as well-produced.

I'm watching Season 3 of In Treatment right now and it's outstanding (if you find psychology interesting, anyway).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wash your mouthout with soap, Rome was quality. It didn't get another series because it was bloody expensive to produce and I think doing on the cheap just to wring out a few more series would have ruined it. I love Rome; much better than Spartacus (the TV series).

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DR - Maybe I should switch my serivce from Showtime, since it seems HBO has all the good stuff. :)

18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Well, Showtime has great shows, too. Dexter is one of my favorite shows, as is WEEDS. But United States of Tara kind of bores me, I can't get into Californication, Nurse Jackie holds no interest, and it looks like The Big C was canceled.

But - totally my opinion, of course - HBO doesn't really make a bad series show. Boardwalk Empire would totally ruin your sh*t, it's so good. True Blood is great, though I see why it doesn't appeal to everyone. In Treatment, as I said, great. The Pacific was a recent miniseries that was kind of a Band of Brothers sequel, in a way. Plus great documentaries, I could go on. They also tend to get the better movies. I think in the long run, you'll prefer it.

Having said all that - Stars isn't too shabby either. I loved Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and just saw the first two episodes of their new series Camelot (Arthurian, not Kennedy), which so far looks really good. But I also have a Netflix account, and Starz is part owner of Netflix, so just about anything they air on Starz I can stream for free. Ditto for past seasons of just about all Showtime shows. Nothing HBO makes can be streamed on Netflix (though you can get the DVDs in the mail). In short, I have HBO and Skinemax and I'm perfectly happy. May even dump Skinemax, since they mainly show movies HBO already had on 6 months prior. The only original programming they have are late-night bimbo smut, which is less and less appealing to me the further away from 13 years old I get. :)

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I get Stars - I should check it out! I just don't watch that much TV, but I watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report on the internet. But I suppose that is still TV. :hmm:

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Me neither, that's the thing. My wife and I don't really watch regular TV anymore. There's a few comedies we like, but we DVR EVERYTHING. She works late and we like to watch DVR'd shows when we have our late suppers. We have something different to watch every night this way, and it's never a dumb reality show or most of the crap on TV these days. There are a few exceptions - Justified on FX is awesome, for example. But despite my endorsement of HBO's awesomeness, we really don't watch that much. The little we do watch, though, is the highest quality and really enjoyable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.