1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Crashes in Vista

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by thenightowl1234, Nov 2, 2010.

1. thenightowl1234 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am running Icewind Dale in Vista 64-bit, and the game has been running with few crashes. I am in Dragon's Eye, ready to descend to the level Yxunomei is on, and the game crashes and exits to desktop, with the standard "Icewind Dale has stopped working. Looking for a solution..." window prompt.

Is it Vista or the game? I just downloaded a patch and installed that tonight, but wanted to find out ahead of time if anyone's having this issue, and if the patch is irrelevant. Thanks for any help!

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Please try writing not in all bold type, it's a cancer on the eye. Only all caps is worse.

As for your problem, try running IWD in Win98/WinXP compatibility mode and as an administrator. That should do the trick.

More general, Vista 64bit is notoriously unstable with older games. Upgrade to Windows 7 if you can. It's a significantly better OS.

3. thenightowl1234 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bold, Caps and Thanks For Help--Oh My

Hi Ragusa,

I'll give the XP option/admin thing a shot. Hopefully it will work (and I'll update this if it does, in case others have the same issue, which I am sure Vista users do).

(As for the bold type option, sorry if that somehow annoyed you. Personally, I don't think it is a big deal; I think the cap thing is what's annoying, because it "looks" like someone is yelling. Furthermore, I had bold-faced it because I was having a hard time reading what I typed on my laptop. I was having problems with my eyes all week. Hence, this made it easier for me, and I simply forgot to "un-bold" it when I finished proofing what I wrote.)

Kris

4. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Ragusa, just happened to read this the other day while setting up Vista and your advice not only works for IWD but for the Sacred games too. I would never have thought of it and didn't realize it was so easy to set up. Thanks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.