1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Future of the EU

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Malaqai, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Why entitled to live in Norway ?

2. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It might work, only if France is decimated.

I recently read a report that France has been helping to arm Iraq, and went so far as to tell other European nations that by supporting the U.S. actions in Iraq they would be making France their enemy. ooh, i bet they scared everyone with that one. I mean, wow, the French army, now there's a force to be reckoned with :lol:

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Yes, why should we really bother to know where criminals or illegal immigrants are? Why do we even have passports or even borders anyway? Are those 15 minutes in lane waiting for the passport control when you're going on a trip to another country really that annoying?

They're allready nagging about how we economicly support people who live in the north, by lowering their taxes just to make sure they stay up there. If we didn't do this, more people would move down to the bigger cities in south Norway.

Yes of course. Especially when the EU is expanding eastwards.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Migration would be a huge problem in a more closely tied EU. Decent people do not need their movements monitored or controlled, as they will be a benefit to whatever society they are in. Filthy criminals do need to be controlled, so they do not spread their depredations all over the place. Since you can't tell the difference at a glance, you have hassles for everyone trying to migrate.

The US manages to succeed because it is a "melting pot". The Europeans will never accept the necessary shedding of certain things that would be necessary if the EU were to adopt a "melting pot" society.

Canada is a "cultural mosaic". While Trudeau thought that model for a society would be more successful, he was wrong. It is not a model that will create a stable society. The various cultures clash too much and nothing gets accomplished.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31

Migration is an interseting topic.

A. There is already a lot of migration going on. The boundaries of all our countries are already to small. It would make no sense, economically or "personally" to stop people from travelling all over the place and settle in other places. And is already happening anyway.

B. The economical ties are like a web, economical speaking, Europe is one. Not separable anymore. And I can tell a story about that, because as "tranist" country, trillions of ****ed up Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, French, Austrian, Polish, Danish etc. trucks are crossing central Europe, bringing goods all over the place. And that is really annoying. TRAFFIC JAM, nearly everyday at the mountain passes. And then terror in the holydays.

C Europe needs nothing more than MIGRATION. Really. Migration is needed. Because nearly all Western European countries have a population decrease. But nearly no one has the guts to adress the problem. We got a giantic demographical problem. That's why nearly ever European country has now worries about the pensions-system. It just doesn't work, when they are not enough young ones there, to replace the ones who retire. Just not enough babies.

6. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Greenlion420, where O where did you hear about France helping to arm Iraq? LOLZ. Everybody knows who armed Iraq and Afghanistan. The US did.
    And about the strengthe of the French army....why do you think that France can vote a "veto" on the UN security council? Only France, Russia, China and the US can. Because France is a nuclear power with a huge aircraft potential (the Mirage 2000c is fantastic), a big tank force and, not to forget, the foreign legion.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31

We were threatened, harrassed, surrounded, menaced and brainwashed by Jacques Chirac. The most frightening moment was, when he was aired on the EBC (European Broadcasting Corporation, controlled by the French state) and spoke his famous words, I still tremble in horror everytime I think about it:" The EU has decided to support Saddam Hussein wherever we can!". Silvio Berlusconi was crying, Joschka Fischer trembled, José María Aznar was hiding behind a chair and Tony Blair fled to Washington.

8. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I wouldn't worry too much about the "nationalities" (ethnic differences) of the different nations in Europe posing a problem to a United Europe. Given the incredibly low birth rates in most European countries, and the high immigration from non-European nations, the national identities of most of European nations will be eliminated within the next 50 years.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31

At least, I can I comfort myself with the thought that in 50 years, there will be no more WASPs in North-America. :D ;)

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I think that USE would cause more problems than it will solve. Think about another arms race. Or a balance of powers like before WW1. How do they sound? But even after thinking of that i must agree that it would be a wonderful thing. Imagin that, USA second powerfullest military power :) . That is a think i would love to see.

But what i think would be much better than USE would be one world country thing, if you understand what i mean. Run by the UN or a similar (spelling?) organisation, with its own army, currency, capital, airport and even its own postage system. I know that it would be extremly hard to control the entire world but lets say that the countries each remain seperate. Kind of like what the different states in USA are like (well what i think they are like, i dont know for sure). They all have their own seperate laws and currency and every thing but are governed by one big power. Maybe even send a rep from each country to the UN or what ever it is.
    This way you'd get no power struggles, you'd have free trade, and there would be great human right thingys because there will be someone who could inforce the international laws.

And this problem mentioned before about not been able to keep track of people, why get rid of passports. You could still have passports just on "world passport" thing, you could still have check points at every "country" border.
    Imagin how much troble this will save when travelling over seas. No currency exchanges need (u could use this international currency) no international drivers licence, no visas, etc

@Mollusken
    :yot: Why New Zealand? Thats an interesting choice. I was borne in norway my self and then now live in New Zealand which is better than any of Norway i can remember, but still why New Zealand?

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@ Malaqai

You said it yourself, the Mirage, that's exactly THE most important fighter of the Iraqi airforce. But of course now you're gonna say that they bought them from America, right ? :D

12. Malaqai Gems: 4/31

No, I am gonna say that France SOLD them to Iraq. The same way that every arms-company in the world sells their weapons. They do it to make money, you know?
    And about the EU announcing to support Iraq. That NEVER happened, cause the EU is closely followed in my country (cause we want to join in) and I would have seen it.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @RotKU: How does the scenario you describe differ significantly from what Europe has now? What am I missing?

BTW, there's only one currency and postal system in the US, not one for every state. Large airports are generally run by the city they're in, while small ones are often private enterprises. When it comes to state law v. federal (and I hope that dmc , Sir Bel, or Laches will correct me if I'm wrong!), what you have is the federal government making umbrella policy (Thou shalt not discriminate in hiring) that the states then have to administer locally. Federal law also governs interstate matters, like commerce or communications.

Economics is the engine of society. It would be nice if people throughout the world could rise above cultural and liguistic differences for the purposes of making money, and then go back home and spend their profits however they wanted. I'm not hopeful.

14. Iago Gems: 24/31

Rallymama, I am. In the end, the spirit of trade will always prevail over the spirit of war. If the French and the Germans can, everyone can.

At Malaqai: That with France, the EU and Blair escaping to Washington was a joke. At least I tried to make a joke.

[ May 07, 2003, 19:50: Message edited by: Yago ]

15. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

thank you Pac man. and as for France having nukes, who cares, we all got 'em. it's the so-called French army itself i was poking at. :D

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] You don't have to thank me dude, there's too much US bashing going on, and frankly, it makes me pretty sick. As if the US is some kind of evil empire trying to conquer the world.

17. Malaqai Gems: 4/31

AT YAGO:
    A joke, eh? I am sorry, but I didn't see your face nor hear your voice...I though you were being serious. Sorry.

18. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31

well, actually Pac man, one of my biggest fears is that the U.S. will someday try to conquer the world. very slowly we are all watching the U.S. turn into the very same thing it's founders ran away from :(

but thanks for backing me up anyway and yes the Mirage is bad as hell, too bad you can throw off French radar by coating the nose of your aircraft with tin foil, they'll never see you coming :D

19. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

@Rallymama
    Sorry i'm not to sure if i know what your talking about, but hey i'll take a guess.
    With the arms race and like before during the "cold" war, with of corse the worlds other super powers ie. USA. Do you really think that they will let another contry become more powerful than they are?
    And then with the balance of powers i'm sure i did mean something but i have no idea now.

I know that theres only one currency and postal system in the USA, I sort of said that and then wrote a bit and relised that it wasn't like the USA much at all. I was going to change that (or remove it) but never quiet got around to it.

And i don't see why the laws should work any different. Most of the laws international (i guess then it would just be national) and then just a few laws national (or stat or whatever) for the different caltures and believes.

And this will happen... just wait and see...

20. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I agree with Greenlion420 about the USA trying to conquer the world. Bush has already conquered the UK - as long as Blair is in charge then the UK will just be another state of America. We are on the wrong side of the ocean and if we are going to join with someone it should be Europe - unfortunately i think there is too much xenophobia and racism in the UK (even amongst ourselves - ie scotland and england) for us to ever join Europe properly.

In the end I'm not too worried about the USA taking over the world as everyone else who has tried to create an empire/take over the world has failed and usually left themselves in a worse situation than when they started out anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.