1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

French-canadians, rise and shine!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Disciple of The Watch, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Okay give it back then.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tellement beaucoup de Canadiens français et tous parlent anglais entre eux. :p

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

@Chev: J'admet que tu as raison... mais écrire en anglais est devenu un réflexe naturel, étant donné qu'on est une minorité...

@Ofelix: Hehe, good one.

@DarkStrider: enjoying the finer things in life is good. What's the point of living if you can't enjoy it's finest?

Hmm, time to light an Al Capone cigar, with a glass of VS cognac on ice.

[ September 24, 2005, 01:22: Message edited by: Shadow Scorpion ]

4. Ofelix

Media:
    You are Polish yourself and yet you speak english. But yeah I too find this quite err... strange. Oh and you find three '' tellement beaucoup''? (which is french, but you're not going to hear it from a native... sorry pal ;) )

Isn't this thread going really wayyyy out of subject?

5. Disciple of The Watch

It seems that wherever I tread, anarchy follows. :cry:

Yes, it's going out of topic, but who the hell cares? Think about it, Ofelix, we're slowly establishing our dominion! Muhahaha! :evil:

:D

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@ofelix - No, you have enough dogs in Quebec! ;)

/me hides lab puppies

7. Disciple of The Watch

Ahh sweet Quebec. Deficient system, 51% of paychecks chopped... I shall betray you in a few years...

Betray my brethren French-canadian? I'm afraid so. Buisness opportunities are hard to refuse, and harder when they're in California. Nothing personal.

8. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@ofelix - :shake: Please tell me this is in jest, else a side thread on this issue'll have to start up in Lingering Sighs; I got a pack full of Treaties, Acts and judicial decisions clearly defining the Quebec-Newfoundland border; in the end with either tacit or expressed agreement by the government of Quebec. Its own commission in '91 found no legal recourse to reopening determination of the boundry. Apart from the significant movement for Labrador to be an independent province of its own, any re-appropriation of territory to Quebec would have to be at the consent of Newfoundland and Labrador, which leads to the questions:

How much do you want, and what'll ya give us for that? :D

@Scorp - You plead being a minority of three to a single man who represents his ethnicity/nationality alone? :heh:

(@chev - or am I mistaken and have I miscounted other natives of Poland who frequent SP?)

ANYWAY, all this said, I like poutine; I like (most of) the Quebecois spirit.

Vive Quebec; vive humeur; vive passion!

9. Ofelix

Media:
    Bah! It's not like it's that good anyway, that piece o' land. :grin:

I don't know but doesn't it seem strange to you that a majority of foreinger has posted this thread despite being labelled for those canadian of french language? It beats me.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

those anglo-saxons *stole* labrador from the quebecois. je me souviens!

(btw, does anyone on this thread have "hockey hair"? Just curious... :shake: )

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

But you and Shadow looked so *lonely* playing in this thread all by your lonesomes! When you mentioned poutine, (well, you know how food attracts people like flies) I thought this was a kitchen party and you can't have one of those without a Newfie around.

/me breaks out mandolin and plays Great Big Sea songs

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@Bion - now-now; "stole"? You seem to be forgetting the Treaties of Utrecht & Paris that His Most Christian Majesty *gave* Her Britannic Majesty (and His BM in the latter Treaty's case) Labrador, Anticosti, the Magdalene Islands, etc.

Through acts of the Britsh throne in 1809 and 1825, these lands were divvied up between Newfoundland (now "Newfoundland and Labrador") and Lower Canada (now Quebec), reaffirmed by a decision of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in 1927 which was asked for and accepted by the two relevant parties Nfld & Canada (at the behest of its member province Quebec), and confirmed again when Newfoundland entered confederation with Canada in 1949.

The only parties involved in the disbursement of this land that were not represented are the original inhabitants, whose culture sadly did not emphasize ownership of land - because they were willing to share, they got pushed out of the way. :(

And before anyone starts, NO I do not have a grudge against Quebec or its government over the Upper Churchill Falls hydroelectric development deal - it was a FAIR deal...at the time. (c'mon; who knew an energy crisis would cause the price of electricity to jump just a few years later?!? :) Lucky for Quebec & unlucky for Newfoundland *shrug* )

Anyway, enough of dealing with that one; on to happier things:

@ofelix - bien, la raison que nous des anglos barbares ;) trainons est NOUS VOUS AIMENT ! :D C'est un fil interessant et different, et sans compter que - car j'ai dit - I *comme* le poutine! :yum:

(And my apologies now for the probably awkward and likely Parisian french, as well as the lack of diacritics; it's been over a decade since I've used my government-mandated bilingual education this much...)

13. Disciple of The Watch

@apathic: hehe, yeah, but this thread begun as a search for some more of us. We have managed to get a few out of the shadows, but this thread has went waaaaaaaaay out of line. Oh well, at least, we're having fun, aren't we?

14. Ofelix

Media:
    Indeed, Well I think I can speak for the (mostly) majority of Québécois.

Ahem: What the queen of England says we couldn't care less For most of us she was never and will never be queen of Québec. We're a democraty not a monarchy.

15. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Just a quick post to increase our minority count! And God knows how minorities are important in Québec!

On the subject of poutine, Italian poutine is not only made of tomato sauce, but with spaghetti meat sauce. Much better..... :D

Now time to go catch the plane to visit some distant cousins: nos amis les Belges.

À bientôt!

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since when have the words "French-canadians, rise and shine!" ever translated to "Let's all randomly babble outside of the random babbling thread!" ?

I'm certain it doesn't translate that way in English, and though my French is rusty, I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate that way in French either.

17. Disciple of The Watch

@Blackthorne: heh, you're not totally wrong. This thread begun as a search for more french-canadians on the board, and it drifted into some random babbling. Well, at least we're having fun, aren't we?

18. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Je dirai que oui! Et il y a juste une sorte de poutine qui compte, et c'est le nôtre! Et si tu n'aime pas la poutine, garde ça secret S.V.P., je veux pas l'entendre :p (Pardonez moi si mon français écrite n'est pas si bon, l'écriture na jamais été ma force :) )

19. Disciple of The Watch

tu semble quand même te débrouiller pas trop mal.

La poutine c'est la bouffe des dieux (alias nous autre!) :D

20. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really hate to be a party-pooper, but here we have more rules violations. This is an English only board.

We've shown considerable latitude here, precisely because we don't like to rain on a parade unless we really have to. But if this horsing around keeps carrying on, we'll end up closing this thread.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.