1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fossil found on Mars?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dorion Blackstar, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well on the way home from work tonight I heard they found a fossil on Mars.I also heard they destroyed it on purpose.

My question's are, if they found a fossil on mars

1.Why is it not front page news on every newspaper in the world I mean this is huge!

2.Why on earth would they destroy it?

So what is realy going on here?
    I will search for some links in the morning and post back later.IT's two am here and I just got home from work,time to relax.

[ March 12, 2004, 12:56: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If a fossil was found on Mars, NASA would DEFINITELY announce it. Of course, they would have to be absolutely sure beforehand.

Destroy it? I doubt that.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] An interesting article about this:

The "F" Word and Mars...

Nothing conclusive in the stroy, but it does give you something to think about.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've heard the Russians discovered life on Mars shortly before Putin's election and withheld the information for political reasons, ie not to lend Putin unfair credit as he was the acting president at the time.

5. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Well I dont know what to make of this.The only article I could find was one simialar to Sir Bels. I wish I knew the radio program I heard it on but sadly I was just flicking and it was not on one of the stations I usualy listen to.

Is this guy just anther conspiracy nut or is Nasa realy hiding something this big.I dont know.

Maybe I will be able to turn up something more later but who knows.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, I haven't heard anything about it. The news is concentrating about St. Joe's loss against Xavier in basketball. I hate the news. Anyways, I'm positive there is life in the universe, but I'm surprised it's so close to us. No links to articles on it or anything?

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's possible that there are fossils but it's obvious nothing is definate. NASA would announce it if they were sure. Conspiricy theorists would be the ones saying that the fossils were destroyed (how they could destroy a fossil on mars is beyond me, let alone why).

The idea is to only listen to the pros. (i.e. NASA) about this type of information, not Joe Shmuck on the radio confessing his alien anal probe.

8. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Well Abomination this guy was hardly just some joe shmuck professing alien probes.They were talking about setting up a debate with the lead scientist from the mars team.This guy is well connecteced within the nasa community.

I would hardly have taken time to post this if he was talking alien probes and such nonesense.

I can think of lots of reasons why they would cover it up,the threat to religion being just one.

I thought it would have been easier to find stuf on him since he said he had a website dedicated to the space program but I couldnt remeber his name so I just dont have enough info.

But lets leave the Alien probes out of this.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is no credible reason when one of the four stated goals of NASA's Mars exploration program is to determine whether life ever arose on Mars.

10. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Stated goals are not always true either.One of the stated goals of the war on Iraq was to democratize the middle east,I dont believe that one either.

I am not saying this is what's happenning here,I sure cant find enough info to even mount an effective argument for this case,but I would not rule it out just yet.

I have never been sure , is Nasa privatley funded or is it funded by the goverment or both?

I sure cant deny the lack of info makes me skepitacal about this guys claim but I am not done looking for it just yet.

Maybe I can catch the show again this week and at least try to find a link through the radio program.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    NASA is a US government agency.

Now, tell me, why would NASA state as one of only four of its goals for its Mars exploration program something that it didn't intend to do? If, as you say, there are many reasons why they would want to cover up such findings, why would they publicize such an intent? Such an intent implies they believe the possibility exists, and it is worth the money they are asking for to find out. Why would NASA tailor their missions to Mars to satisfy this goal, if their intent was to cover up the results? The money spent to satisfy that goal could have been spent to satisfy some other goal; why would they waste their limited resources?

It is one thing to say they accidentally found evidence while conducting a mission unrelated to its discovery and then covered it up; it is quite another to say they are covering up evidence they expressly stated they were looking for.

12. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Look as I said I don't realy think there is anything to this either.I mean its just too big.If this guy can get on a national talk show and talk it about but no major news source has covered it I doubt there is much too it.

However don't you just love the smell of a good conspiracy.

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Have any of you seen this? It is a photo taken by the Global Surveyor. What the heck is it? This guy Hoagland claims it's biological, but an expert at NASA says it's just a rock formation. What do you make of it?

The Worms of Mars

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Why bother with fossils, while there's living creatures on Mars ?

Proof

:D

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Why are aliens always naked? Don't they feel drafts?

16. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Look at that the conspiracy lives!
    Just kidding that is pretty interesting Sir Bel
    thanks for the link.I am at work now but will read it later.

17. Amatorius Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] @Pac man: That is the biggest crock of a picture I have seen recently and that's saying a lot, it even topped this pic (which is a non-obscene cartoon dinosaur) or did it par with it?
    no matter. two other questions,
    1. How would they know that Americans are called "yanks"?
    2. Why would it be in english instead of 'alien'?

@Sir Belisarius: Aliens aren't always naked but their notion of "clothing" would differ from ours, so to said aliens we might even be 'naked' because we don't have such and such or whatever. As for drafts, I don't think so but *IF* I see one in a draft, I'll be sure to ask if it can feel it or not. :rolleyes: :p Directly after that, however, I shall be committing myself to a mental asylum for hallucination treatment. :aaa: :jawdrop:

*looks around suspiciously* :alien: *"AAAAHHH", flees into forest*

[ April 02, 2004, 00:15: Message edited by: Amatorius ]

18. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is supposed to be an Alley of Dangerous Angles thread on the discovery of a fossil on Mars.

The past few posts have been both off-topic, and rather silly such that they should be in Whatnots instead of in the Alley.

[ April 01, 2004, 21:54: Message edited by: Beren ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.