1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Forged in Hell, Tempered in Blood

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shura, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Shura, get this thing published. You'll get famous. I really admire your work, as I myself find it impossible to write that good in a language that is not your first.(I think)
    You probably scribble right now. Heh. Do you mind, if I put the 3 parts of Shura together in Word and fix the spelling mistakes and put it somewhere, so people can read without screwing their eyes? Black on white IS better than yellow on blue.

Whaddya think?

Looks hopeful

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

That i agree.

You really should get this story published ;)

I have quite a few fantasy books home right now and i still check Creativity Surge every day for a new part. :rolleyes:
    And of course i make a backup on my hard drive :D

Is English you're first language?

[ February 16, 2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hmm. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I use the spelling and grammer check function of Microsoft Word often. Of course, there are a few spelling errors here and there, despite my best efforts.
    Go ahead with any plans you might have. Since I have posted this on SP, this belongs to Taluntain by right, so you might have to ask his permission.
    I have given serious thoughts to publication and am now currently cleaning up and compiling a manuscript. There is a great deal of work to be done, for there is a lot more content to be added to the first part.
    Anyway, thanks for everyone's support.
    :)

By the way, I consider English my first language, much to the frustration of my parents and Chinese teachers. My chinese is atrocious. I can only manage a few swear words at best in that awful tongue. :D

[ February 17, 2003, 12:25: Message edited by: Shura the Lightslayer ]

4. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Oh. *slaps herself* I'll ask Tal then I hope he aallows me to do that. :)

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

[​IMG] Another spectacular post (I'm running out of words to describe your posts). Glad to hear you're hoping to publish your great stories, I hope all go's well for you!!!

6. Shura Gems: 25/31

Here it is, then. I am eager to wrap this up, so I can commence on Archon and the compilation of a manuscript.

Sylurae walked up to Arkados, placing her hand upon his shoulder. The king turned to regard her, his features downcast and a bitter light in his eyes.

“ It is true, then. The corpses of my friends are my stepping stones.” Arkados said, his voice low and harsh with self-loathing. “ Shura, Ander and Kalvairn were doomed from the very first day they met me!” His gauntleted hand pounded into the tiles at his feet. The swirling gateway started to close as the king lost himself to his grief.

“ Keep the gateway open.” Sylurae bid him. “ I can probably locate him.” She explained to Arkados’s puzzled look. The gate widened once more as Arkados bent it to his will, fervent hope replacing the anguish upon his face.

The woman projected her consciousness into the gateway, seeking Shura amongst a million different worlds.

The mangled, bloody heap writhed its way out of its hole, sustained by sheer force of will alone. Two curved blades were strapped to the middle of the gory pile, their sheaths cracked and warped but otherwise intact, such was the craftsmanship with which they had been forged. A single, burning sword was wrapped in the ruined remains of what used to be a hand.

It lay there, and the Flesh Coil did its work, mending and straightening the bones and replacing ruptured organs. A pair of dark eyes filled previously empty sockets and Shura looked upon the hellish plane upon which he had been stranded.

A shadow fell over him, obscuring the fell sun of this world and the swordsman turned his gaze upwards to regard the hovering form of Solaris. The former archangel’s face was filled with wrath and he held his burning sword in his right hand.

“ Decades of planning and eons of hate, only to be ruined by a mere mortal!” Solaris shrieked, swooping down with his sword leading the way. Shura sidestepped the thrust and caught the blade with the hilt guard of Syn Vinac, pushing it aside. He moved to riposte but Solaris cast his glance downwards and flexed his will, causing the ground beneath the swordsman’s feet to erupt. Shura was flung into the air, countless shards of black rock slicing into his flesh and it was all he could do to twist in mid-air and bring the paladin’s sword into a parry against another of Solaris’s strikes. Divine steel rang against divine steel and the swordsman crashed into the ground from the sheer force of the clash and rolled to lessen the impact.

A bolt of lightning tore through the air and Shura leapt up just in time to catch it upon the blade of his sword. Another bolt hit the ground beside him and the erupting earth caused him to reel in agony as a dozen wounds, just mended by the Flesh Coil, opened anew. The swordsman fell to his knees, blood spewing from his lips.

“ That accursed sword protects you from my spells.” Solaris said, hovering in the air above Shura. “ But it does not neutralize my power when it is not directed specifically at you. How many times can you get to your feet, worm? With the Flesh Coil upon your finger, I can guarantee you the agony of a thousand deaths!”

“ Been there, done that.” Shura wheezed harshly, drawing breath through ruptured lungs that were mending themselves even as he spoke. “ I can keep this up forever, celestial scum.” He drew his wakizashi with his left hand and squared off against Solaris.

With a cry of rage, the former archangel glided forwards, his flaming sword coming around in a great, sweeping cut at Shura’s midsection. The swordsman caught the blade in a crossed parry with his swords and smacked it aside with his wakizashi. Syn Vinac streaked towards Solaris’s face and the former archangel brought up his sword to block. Shura halted his thrust prematurely and whipped the paladin’s sword back, lashing out with his wakizashi instead. The unexpected feint took Solaris off-guard but he was more than able react, sweeping aside the short, curved sword with his blade. Syn Vinac flashed forwards in yet another thrust, gashing the former archangel’s cheek. Solaris growled in pain and surprise and Shura took the opportunity to execute a quick, horizontal cut with his wakizashi, knocking the flaming sword aside and lancing Syn Vinac into Solaris’s thigh. A great flap of wings brought the angel out of Shura’s striking range, his face full of disbelief.

“ Impossible!” Solaris cried. “ Such swordsmanship is beyond that of mortals!”

“ Fear the power of Man, celestial scum!” Shura snarled in response. “ Fear the might of godlessness and darkness!” He rushed forward once more, seeking to bring the offensive to the archangel but Solaris thrust his palm forwards, producing an invisible shockwave of force that caused the ground to ripple as it traveled. Syn Vinac flared brightly and the shockwave passed Shura by. The rippling earth tore into the swordsman’s legs’s though and Shura fell to the ground face first, his legs a ruined mess.

Solaris flew towards the prone form of Shura and rammed his sword down just as he turned over. The flaming sword entered Shura’s chest and blood erupted from his nose and mouth. Solaris grinned in satisfaction and tore his sword free, bringing it over his head for one final blow. A look of faint puzzlement came over the former archangel’s face abruptly and he cast his gaze about, as if seeking an invisible presence.

At death’s door for the umpteenth time in his short life, Shura found himself fading in and out of consciousness when a mental voice registered in his head.

“ Warrior…” Sylurae’s mental voice was soft, but distinct. “ Respond if you hear me…we seek to retrieve you…” Shura’s response was a garbled pulse of mental static that was nevertheless recognized by the powerful psychic that Sylurae was. Instantly, the swordsman found his consciousness directly linked to hers.

“ Must kill…this…bastard…” Shura thought, knowing that the woman could see through his eyes. “ He will…follow your thoughts…back…to Gryloas…!” The swordsman gasped, as a fresh flow of blood poured from his mouth and nose. “ Must…kill him here and now!” Shura’s final thoughts were the psychic equivalent of a shout.

“ I’ve found him!” Sylurae exclaimed to Arkados and Feather, both of them peering anxiously into the swirling chaos of the planar gate. With a thought, Sylurae implanted the knowledge of Shura’s location into Arkados’s mind and the king spun immediately towards the gate, a determined look in his blue eyes.

“ I shall bring him back!” He said, before taking a resolute step forwards. Sylurae’s hand on his forearm stopped him, however and he turned a puzzled look towards her.

“ Let me go with you.” She pleaded. Arkados shook his head in an instinctive gesture of denial but he knew Sylurae would not be refused. With a sigh, he put her arm around her waist and turned to regard Feather.

“ Go and return swiftly.” The elf spoke before Arkados could say anything. The king nodded gratefully and together with Sylurae, stepped into the gate, guiding them with the sheer force of his will towards the hellish plane where Solaris and Shura did battle.

Solaris bent low to glower upon Shura, his beautiful face contorted in wrath.

“ You shall suffer, mortal!” He growled, bringing his sword above his head in readiness for another blow. “ Oh, how you shall suffer!” The Flesh Coil knitted Shura’s grievous wounds rapidly but the swordsman simply could not recover in time to bring his own weapon to bear. Still, in his agony, he knew not to relinquish his grip on Syn Vinac. The moment he let go of the paladin’s sword, Solaris would extinguish his soul with a single thought. With the sword, the former archangel was reduced to fighting a physical battle with him. Unfortunately, Solaris seemed to be winning that battle.

There was a sudden crackle in the air and Solaris spun around to regard the sudden rift in reality that had materialized behind him. The rift enlarged and Arkados flew through on giant bat wings protruding from his shoulders. He dropped Sylurae off onto the ground gently and soared straight at Solaris, the First Blackmire blade burning in his right fist.

“ Come and taste defeat for the umpteenth time, child!” Solaris taunted, a mocking expression upon his face as Arkados neared. He spread his silver wings and rocketed into the sky, leaving the king of Gryloas to strike at empty air. Arkados made to pursue, but he paused a moment to regard Shura struggling to his feet, coughing out clots of blood from his mended lungs. When he was sure that the swordsman would recover, he nodded to himself and flew upwards to challenge Solaris.

Arkados flung a sphere of swirling energy at Solaris but the former archangel moved his sword to swat it aside. Before the flaming blade made contact with Arkados’s projectile, however, the king clenched his fist and exerted his will, causing the energy sphere to explode in a shower of flame. Solaris emerged from the fire, his golden skin slightly singed in a few places and roared in anger. Silver lightning lanced through the sky and Arkados had to dart to and fro to avoid being struck.

Sylurae moved to stand beside Shura. The swordsman’s gaze was locked onto the aerial battle between Arkados and Solaris and his fists clenched and unclenched themselves upon the hilts of his swords in frustration.

“ Why did you come, fools?” He snapped. “ The celestial scum will surely be able to find his way back to Gryloas now!”

“ Your friend would not accept your loss.” She replied. Her eyes hardened as she looked upon the battle. “ And I would not accept anything less than the final conclusion to this affair.”

Arkados swooped down from the air during a lull in the fighting and fell to his knees, breathing heavily. Solaris was more powerful than him by far. Shura and Sylurae ran to stand beside him and the former archangel hovered in the air before the trio, a look of dark glee upon his face.

“ All my work, to no avail!” Solaris spat, swinging his flaming sword to and fro menacingly. “ I shall have my vengeance, on you two worms and the traitorous slut!” His finger jabbed towards Sylurae and the woman flinched from his accusation. Arkados’s reassuring hand on her shoulder bolstered her resolve.

“ You owe him nothing, after what he has done to you.” He whispered into her ear. Shura raised his blades and advanced, his eyes rolled back so that only their whites showed and drool dripping from his bared teeth. The path of Slaughter sang to him, tore at his being and burned his soul to cinders.

“ Don’t talk!” The swordsman forced the barely coherent words from his slavering maw. “ Just fight!” A cry of rage followed his words and Shura charged forward, his swords streaking for Solaris’s throat. The former archangel barked a cruel laugh and the earth erupted beneath Shura’s feet. The swordsman moved too fast to be caught in the shower of earth, though and the flying shards of rock gashed only the tattered ends of his cloak.

Solaris snarled and swept his flaming sword downwards, only to slice through an afterimage of the swordsman left hanging in the air from his unbelievable speed. Shura had leapt to one side and dashed back in again, spinning his body so that both wakizashi and long-sword curved into a dual strike towards Solaris’s throat and chest respectively. Solaris’s flaming sword rushed back in to parry Syn Vinac but Shura’s wakizashi swerved upwards to slice off the former archangel’s left ear. Solaris roared in rage and agony and his armored fist drove into Shura’s chest, shattering ribs and rupturing organs.

A ghastly leer appeared on the swordsman’s face and he rammed his wakizashi through Solaris’s forearm and curled his body inwards, trapping the armored hand in the wreckage of his body even as blood spewed from his lips.

“ Strike! Strike now!” He gasped. Arkados’s black wings propelled him forward as he realized the depth of the agony the swordsman was suffering. The First Blackmire blade flared as it sought the blood of a celestial.

“ A ridiculous tactic!” Solaris bellowed. He tore his hand free, wrenching Shura’s left arm from its socket and raised it to hurl one of his spells at the onrushing Arkados. A flash of silver streaked through the air and coiled itself around Solaris’s free forearm, anchoring upon the wakizashi stuck through it.

Hurling herself backwards, Sylurae utilized all of her body weight to throw the former archangel’s wrath askew. A globe of swirling energy tore through the air, missing Arkados’s face by a fraction of an inch. Snapping his gaze towards the woman, Solaris snarled and pointed a finger at her. Dread filled Arkados’s heart as he realized that she had no protection from his spells, unlike Shura. A minute bolt of silver energy lanced forth and punched through her chest. Sylurae fell over backwards with a look of astonishment upon her face.

“ NO!” Arkados howled in denial. He swung his sword in a mighty arc but Solaris blocked the blow with his own blade. He leaned in close, a satisfied smile upon his face.

“ So perish all traitors!” He gloated. Up close, Arkados could see the madness and spite in the former archangel’s perfect eyes. Arkados roared his grief and rage into his face, words and thought lost to him.

A dark form caught the peripheral vision of both former archangel and archfiend. Faster than a striking viper, Shura lashed out with Syn Vinac, crashing the paladin’s sword against the length of the First Blackmire Blade. There was a mighty flash as the conflicting energies of the two swords met and Arkados’s sword was broken halfway at the blade, releasing it from its clinch with Solaris’s weapon.

Arkados did not hesitate. He rammed the broken sword into Solaris’s chest, punching through the celestial mail and slicing into the former archangel’s heart. Solaris staggered backwards, his expression of utter disbelief mirroring that of Sylurae’s exactly. He tried to raise his sword in reprisal but found no strength within his arms. Golden blood burst from his lips and he sank to his knees.

“ I am…the Sun Guardian…” He muttered to himself, before raising his gaze towards Arkados. “ I am the Sun Guardian…am I not…?” The king of Gryloas did not bother answering him. He flung aside his ruined sword and ran towards Sylurae’s prone form.

Shura stood before the dying archangel, the shattered remains of Syn Vinac in his right hand. The paladin’s sword no longer burnt him. Its power was spent and broken. Absently, the swordsman replaced the stub of metal into its sheath upon his back and looked down at Solaris. His black katana spun out into his hand and he raised it in readiness to strike.

“ Sun…Guardian…” The former archangel spoke his last words through a bubble of celestial blood before Shura beheaded him with a single swift stroke.

Arkados knelt beside Sylurae, his face stricken as he surveyed the single, mortal wound that she had suffered. Blood leaked from the corner of her mouth but she still managed a fond smile at Arkados’s face. She was too far gone for any form of healing. Shura’s shadow fell over the pair and he struggled with the brass ring upon his left hand. To his horror, he found that the Flesh Coil had fused with his flesh. For better or worse, the cursed ring would serve none but him now.

Arkados cradled her head in his arms, tears leaking from the corners of his eyes. She inhaled to speak and when she did so, it was through a pink bubble of blood.

“ Let’s…go…home…” She whispered. Arkados nodded fervently and gathered his will.

A bright glow within the throne room materialized into the forms of Arkados, Sylurae and Shura. Feather and the rest of the Children formed a throng around the grieving king as he gazed down at the dying woman in his arms.

“ I…am so glad to have met you…” Sylurae smiled contentedly. Her eyes took on a faraway look and her breaths grew shallower. “ After such…a long time bound in lies…I have freed myself…free…” The last word broke off into a final gasp and Sylurae’s body went limp in Arkados’s arms. The king bent his head in sorrow and for many moments, silence reigned in the throne room.

When he could look up again, Arkados swept his gaze over the confused and frightened faces of his brethren. Like Sylurae, they had been tricked into a dreadful betrayal by the being that called himself the True Father. With his demise, they were now free to seek their respective destinies, for good or ill.

“ No, Sylurae…” He muttered, struggling hard to hold onto his composure. “ You have freed us all…” The tears came, then, for Arkados still had the soul and heart of a mortal man, a fact proven by the time he had shared with Sylurae.

7. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Uterly Brilliant Shura. When you going to start the next chapter of the Shura Story? After or before you finished the archon story?

8. Gothmog

As always Shura :D
    Just one thing though... i read and i judt noticed the word "Celestial scum" all the time addresing Solaris.

9. Dalveen

Media:
    oh yeah i forgot about his scedule. also gothmog he says celestial scum to solaris because supprisingly enough solaris is an ex-angel

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I kept noticing the words former archangel. Maybe there is a bit of overusage with that

11. The Kilted Crusader

[​IMG] Brilliant! Nothing else can be said.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31

OK, folks, here is the conclusion of Forged in Hell, Tempered in Blood. I might be adding in some afterthought posts later. Anyway, do tell me what you people think! Thanks!

Shura opened the door to the throne room and walked in. He was clad in a plain tunic and dark breeches, for his own clothes had been damaged beyond repair in the days of battle he had seen. Still, his tattered black cloak was draped around his shoulders and his two blades hung at his waist. He swept his gaze across the room and found Arkados standing before a wide table, studying a map of his kingdom. A week had passed since the affair with Solaris ended.

“ Orcish tribes flock to my banner every day and fighting men swell the ranks of my armed forces continuously. Petty nobles and warlords throw their allegiance at my feet with hardly a whimper of protest.” The king said, pointing at various wooden markers indicating his forces. “ Soon, I shall have enough military might to crush the Church and bring this country under a centralized rule. There will be an end to all this constant fighting amongst the various feudal lords who have not sworn allegiance. Man and orc will live as one and all shall be equal before my law.”

Shura nodded in approval. Under Arkados’s iron will, the people of Gryloas would have their first taste of peace since the Succession Wars began a few centuries ago. The countless roving mercenary bands that plagued the country and turned bandit in times of unemployment would soon dissolve.

“ My healers will train more acolytes and they will cover the land. Along with arcane healing, I have set aside considerable resources in the research of Aldamus’s discipline. Priests and doctors will work hand in hand, battling disease.” Arkados continued. The life expectancy of a peasant in Gryloas hardly exceeded thirty years for they could not afford the services of a healer. The slightest ailment, left untreated, often became fatal.

“ Schools will be set up in each and every city under my banner. There shall be no illiteracy within my kingdom in a few generations time.” The king raised a hand to his brow to shield his eyes, unable to speak for a few moments. “ Slavery shall be abolished and I have assigned a force of fifty thousand warriors to enforce my will on this issue throughout my kingdom.”

“ You have a long way to go.” Shura said quietly. Arkados nodded, his face grim with resolve.

“ I shall never run from my duties again.” He swore. “ After all the blood that has been shed on my behalf, after all the people that have perished in my name, I owe them this at least. I do not have to disregard the corpses that pave my way. I can mourn and honor them and I shall carry their severed hopes and dreams on my shoulders, heavy though the burden be.” Shura nodded and an almost hopeful look came into his eyes.

“ In time, Justice.” He dared to hope. Arkados looked at the swordsman and there was nothing but determination upon his features. He nodded.

“ Yes. In time, Justice.” Arkados promised.

Shura left the throne room soon after and found a motley throng awaiting him outside. The Children of Travesty regarded him anxiously; questioning looks painted all over their faces.

“ You are free to go if you wish.” Shura announced. He folded his arms and began walking through their ranks. “ But the king will accept the service of any who wish to stay.” Mutters broke out amongst the Children as soon as those words left his lips. Why would the king take his former enemies into his service? Was he not fearful of treachery?’

Shura left them to their speculations as he made his way to the chamber of Heroes, a room Arkados had set aside to honor those that have fallen in his service. The Blackguard standing before the door saluted and opened it for the swordsman to walk through. The room was large, for it housed row after row of pedestals upon which various broken weapons and armor were placed. Here, the shattered helm of a Blackguard who distinguished himself in battle lay, collecting dust. In a corner, a notched and broken sword rusted in peace, its owner having laid down his life long ago.

The swordsman walked down the rows, occasionally stopping to read the names upon the pedestals. He had fought beside some of them during the end of the Succession Wars. With their help, Arkados had gained the throne.

At the end of the chamber, stood three huge pedestals. A shattered skull mask and a huge axe lay atop two of them. Upon the third, the hilt of the broken katana Zan Ku rested, its enchantment forever stripped and gone. Shura picked up the hilt and dropped it absently onto the floor. He replaced the broken sword with Sylurae’s silvery whip.

The swordsman closed his eyes and sighed. It was not in his nature to pray, and indeed he had never done so. Still, he hoped that the spirits of Ander, Kalvairn and Sylurae heard his words somehow.

“ He will bring Justice. Watch over him and witness it for yourselves!” He said fiercely. The torch that illuminated the chamber guttered and Shura was plunged into darkness for the slightest of moments. In that flicker of time, he felt a powerful sense of resolve and achievement, comprised of the individual hopes of the many beings that have died for Arkados. The light returned and Shura turned on his heel, striding for the door, his heart heavy and reassured at the same time.

The Heroes of Gryloas had heard him, beyond all logic and possibility.

Feather and Oal awaited him at the palace gates. The pirate had her arms around the elf’s waist and her public advances made him very flustered indeed. For their part, the royal guards at the gate did their best not to look.

They ceased their antics as Shura neared and Oal walked up to the swordsman, a cheerful expression on her face.

“ Arkados offered me the title of Royal Explorer, Shura! I’m to sail the seas and discover new lands for him!” She gushed exuberantly. “ Of course, I’m to give up me pirating…” The last statement was delivered with a worried frown.

“ You have seen the might of Gryloas’s navy, have you not?” Shura remarked, an eyebrow quirked in a sardonic manner. “ You would be wise to take him up on his offer.”

“ Aye, it’s decided then!” Oal declared. “ But I’ve got something else to do first!”

“ Such as?”

“ Sending ye back home, ye damned fool!” She said, not unkindly. “ I’m not about to renege on our deal!” Despite himself, Shura felt a slight grin pulling at the corner of his mouth. He made a mocking bow.

“ The lady Oal, terror of the seas, is a woman of honor indeed.” He quipped. Oal laughed in response.

“ Bah! Be off with ye!” She snarled in mock ferocity. Shura turned, his cloak swirling and continued towards the palace gates.

“ Shura.” Feather’s voice called from behind him. There was the slightest rustle of steel on steel.

“What?” The swordsman asked. Feather did not respond. Whispering Edge came free from its sheath and swept towards Shura’s cloaked form. It never got close. A black katana, drawn so swiftly that it seemed to have materialized in Shura’s hand, parried it with a sharp ringing sound. Spinning on one heel, Shura brought his wakizashi upwards into a diagonal cut. Feather leapt backwards to avoid it, turning over in the air once before landing lightly on his feet.

A shallow gash appeared upon the shoulder of Shura’s cloak and a smug smile formed on Feather’s face. Shura sheathed his blades and shrugged, before turning away again. Feather’s sword belt clattered to the floor, along with his family wakizashi and the sheath of Whispering Edge.

“ A slight improvement, Yagyu.” Shura commented, before the royal guards shut the palace gates behind him. Feather sighed and picked up his sword belt, before allowing Oal to drag him away.

The capital was in the process of recovering. Still, the hustle and bustle of its busy streets was not lessened at all. People hurried about their daily business and merchant carriages thundered down the length and breadth of the capital’s town.

Shura wandered the streets, letting the sun drive away the chill of his bones. Soon, he came to the Central Square, a plaza dominated by a huge fountain. He sat down upon a bench and leaned back, thinking wistfully about times past, in which he had spent hours arguing with Jo-annia over the work of scholars.

Due to Sylurae’s psychic assault, Shura had learnt a psionic discipline that allowed him to keep the Path of Slaughter at bay. The rage and bloodlust still clawed at his being, but their cries were muted somewhat now.

He sensed a presence before him and turned his gaze towards a figure that did not top four feet in height. Short, stout and heavily muscled, the blacksmith Dlevkias regarded the swordsman with an equal amount of incredulity. He was clad in a thick leather tunic and apron for working the forge and there was a huge hammer in one of his hands.

“ Burn my soul, swordsman! I glimpsed a familiar figure from my shop over there,” He pointed a smithy less than a hundred paces away. “ And thought I would get a closer look. It is you, after all!”

“ I thought you were in Cypher.” Shura remarked, more than a bit puzzled. Dlevkias’s face turned grim and shifty.

“ Well, it’s a long story. I’ll tell you about it at my shop.” He said. Swordsman and smith made their way towards the burning forge that crisped the air within Dlevkias’s establishment and Shura took a seat upon a wooden stool.

“ Why are you here, then?” Shura asked. Dlevkias sighed and hoisted a crate filled with horseshoes onto a shelf.

“ The Church has grown stronger. They speak of a ‘second coming’ and their agents have become bolder and more daring. There was an Inquisition in Cypher. More than a three hundred folk burnt at the stake for being heretics and witches. There were a fair number of children in their midst.” Dlevkias began, his tone grim. “ If they could do that to their own kind, what would they do to one such as me? I am not a native of this plane and I offer no prayers to the Celestial Knight or the Heavenly Lord!”

Shura nodded. He had suspected that Dlevkias was an inter-planar traveler, though he knew not which plane of existence the blacksmith hailed from.

“ I fled and through some logical reasoning, came to where an Inquisition would be least likely to find me, the center of power of the Church’s greatest foe, Gryloas’s capital!” The smith went on. “ If there was anyone who could stand up to the Church, it’s the Demon King Arkados Blackmire himself!”

“ The Church shall fall before Arkados’s might.” Shura grinned at the lofty title that Dlevkias bestowed upon Arkados. “ You shall find safe enough refuge here and your skills should be in great demand, wherever you go.”

“ Bah! Horseshoes! Pots! Pans! Tubs! Pocketknives and scissors! I’m being driven to insanity!” Dlevkias snarled. He stuck out a heavily muscled hand in Shura’s direction. “ Enough drivel! Show me your swords!”

The swordsman handed them over and Dlevkias drew them, running his eyes over their blades. He grunted once and nodded to himself.

“ You could slice through a million men in full plate armor with these blades and still retain their edge!” Dlevkias set them down upon a bench. “ They could do with a bit of polishing to get rid of the encrusted blood and entrails upon them, though.” His gaze went to the hilt of Syn Vinac jutting from his back and narrowed in curiosity. Shura pulled the ruined hilt from its sheath and tossed it in Dlevkias’s direction without a word. The smith leapt away from it with a startled curse.

“ Were you trying to murder me, fool?” He demanded. “ That was a paladin’s sword! To touch it means death!” A look of disbelief came over his face as he considered his words and the events that had just transpired.

“ No, I did not become a paladin.” Shura snapped before Dlevkias could gape at him. “ The killing enchantment is gone now. You can pick it up if you wish.” Dlevkias turned the ruined hilt in his hands, examining it.

“ There is still much power within this sword, though it has become dormant with the shattering of its blade.” The smith mused. “ I could probably forge something out of this.”

“ It’s yours if you desire it.” Shura shrugged as he spoke. A strange light came into Dlevkias’s eyes and the smith seemed to undergo an inner struggle. The light faded and Dlevkias shook his head.

“ No.” He said, and there was much regret in his voice. “ I’ve thought of something that will complement you nicely, swordsman. Collect your swords from me in four days time, all three of them!”

The king of Gryloas held a banquet in memory of those who had perished in battle against the True Father, be they soldier, Blackguard or Ravager. It was held under the stars upon the training grounds of the palace and every warrior in the capital loyal to Arkados Blackmire attended. Most of the Children of Travesty left, seeking their respective fates and fortunes but a small number of them remained behind, huddling in a nervous group as the warriors of Gryloas mourned the deaths of their comrades; comrades that have perished at their hands.

Upon his pavilion, Arkados sighed as his gaze fell upon the empty seat beside him. The princess Katherine had fled Gryloas, bringing her brood of vampires with her. Her treachery was not unexpected, but it still brought a gloom over the king’s already heavy heart. Reports of her movements have been brought to him by Ravager spies have revealed her flight towards the southern swamps of Nekrala, a hostile country ruled by a sinister coven of necromancers. The king recalled his spies when Katherine crossed the borders, not wishing to stir up any conflict with Nekrala.

The priestess of the lady of Tyranny finished her service to the deceased and every Blackguard; a devout worshipper of the evil goddess bowed their heads in respect. She turned her tattooed face towards Arkados and the king nodded, pulling himself to his feet to address his people.

“ We have lost many of our comrades. No words may bring them back, no grief will do their memory any honor.” He said, amplifying his voice with his will so that his words resounded powerfully and clearly over the training grounds. “ Let us remember them, and bolster our resolves with the memory of their hopes for this land.” Arkados raised his tankard in a toast and silently, the warriors of Gryloas raised theirs as well.

Oal and her crew walked through the ranks of soldiers and approached Arkados’s pavilion. The pirates exchanged nervous glances but they followed their leader with their jaws clenched in grim resolve.

“ The Royal Explorer of Gryloas, look up and address your liege!” The priestess of Tyranny barked sharply. Arkados smiled and waved her to silence.

“ It appears that you have taken up my offer, lady Oalina Uvderk.” The king remarked, a wry twist to a corner of his mouth. Oal seemed startled at Arkados’s knowledge of her true name but she recovered her composure swiftly.

“ It seems little escapes ye, king of Gryloas.” She replied. “ How did ye find out?”

“ Millene recognized the granddaughter of Baron Uvderk of the Central Plains. After all, she trained as a War-mistress there.” Arkados explained. “ That is partially why she was so quick to grant you an audience.”

“ Well, ye found me out.” Oal shrugged. “ Now what?” Arkados gestured to an attendant carrying a package wrapped in oiled cloth. The attendant stepped forward and unrolled it, revealing a purple flag with the royal symbol of Gyrloas upon it.

“ I would like to suggest that my royal explorer replace the skull and crossbones motif upon the flag of her ship with this.” The king’s voice was mild and tinged with amusement as Oal and her crew gaped at the magnificent stitching and design of the flag.

“ At yer service, me lord.” Oal bowed, sweeping her hat off her head in a gesture of respect. “ But ye know I’ve got a journey to make first!” Arkados nodded and stepped forward, the gauntlet of chaos sheathing his left hand suddenly glowing with power. He placed his palm gently over the scarred portion of Oal’s face. The newly appointed royal explorer tried to flinch but she was held immobile by Arkados’s will.

“ And now, for the second part of your reward.” The king told her. Calling upon his powers as an Archfiend, Arkados healed the scarred flesh and restored Oal’s missing eye. She gasped and ran her hands over her face. Tears ran down the corners of her eyes. Feather, standing beside her all the while, hugged her tightly, overcome with gratitude.

Shura visited Dlevkias’s forge again. The blacksmith was amusing himself by flinging a set of forks across the shop to smack ineffectually against a crudely rendered picture of a client who had offended him.

“ More of your fine work, eh?” He snarled. “ I’ll give you more!” Shura ducked as a wild fork sailed over his head to clatter against his anvil. Eventually, the smith ran out of ammunition before ire and he tossed the now-empty basket of forks aside before turning to regard Shura.

“ Yes, your blades are done.” Dlevkias stomped behind his counter and produced Shura’s katana and wakizashi. He unsheathed them and held them up for inspection. The swordsman found their edge to be flawless and with the encrusted gore on their surfaces polished away, the katana gleamed as darkly as the wakizashi shone in the sunlight pouring in from the shop’s entrance.

“ These will be free-of-charge.” The blacksmith tossed the blades to Shura and the swordsman caught them easily, spinning and twirling them with an air of supreme familiarity and skill. After a few experimental swings, Shura replaced the swords in their sheaths and buckled them to his belt. Dlevkias produced another sword from underneath his counter, a wicked grin on his face.

“ What is this…?” Shura’s question trailed off as he guessed the answer. “ This blade used to be Syn Vinac?” Dlevkias nodded.

“ One of my masterpieces yet!” He unsheathed the re-forged paladin’s sword and held it high. Syn Vinac’s blade had been broken halfway down its length. Its new incarnation was a short sword. Blue and green crystals ran down the foot-long blade. Of the fabulous gems that had decorated Syn Vinac’s hilt and pommel, none were left.

“ Hey! I’m taking those as payment for my work!” Dlevkias snapped, his tone defensive just as he saw Shura’s realization of that fact. The swordsman shrugged. The hilt of the new sword was plain but serviceable and it would do just as well, though he felt that he had little use for a third weapon.

“ Rune Breaker!” The smith announced proudly. “ I have named it thus. It is bane against any spell-caster, particularly those that draw their powers from the extremes of good and evil. These crystals serve as a conduit between the sword and your will, since you can access the powers of your mind.” Dlevkias slammed Rune Breaker into its sheath and handed it over to Shura. The swordsman accepted the weapon, strapping it over his chest so that its hilt jutted out from the back of his cloak, much like how he carried Syn Vinac.

“ We will meet again, smith.” Shura said. Dlevkias nodded in agreement.

“ Yes, we shall.” The swordsman spun and stalked away, as if he had some pressing business to attend to. Dlevkias looked at Shura’s departing form until he was out of sight before sitting down once more and heaving a great sigh. The smith brought his hands up to his face and clenched them so hard that they trembled.

“ What have I done? Where there used to be a flicker of the Anarchist’s taint, there is now a burning conflagration!” Dlevkias closed his eyes, haunted memories of a bloodstained life flitting through his mind. “ Have I brought another Destroyer to this world? Is this my destiny, to be the one who arms a slayer of thousands and sends him out to wreak carnage?” He raised his gaze and screamed, his voice drowned by the roar of his forge.

“ I can not resist! My craft is one of destruction!” His shriek lasted for many moments until at last, weakened by his exertions, Dlevkias fell to his knees, gasping for breath.

“ I…can…not…resist…” He whimpered pitifully.

The Wave Jackal’s sails were hoisted and her crew stood by to sail. They awaited their passenger and Oal began shouting orders and instructions to her crew the moment the black-cloaked form of Shura appeared around the corner, striding briskly.

Arkados stood by the pier, an unreadable expression on his face. The swordsman had refused to entertain any notion of returning to his service during the many discussions over the past few days. Shura reached his side eventually and the two friends looked at each other.

“ Hurry up, ye fool!” Oal hollered at him. The anchor had been raised and the Wave Jackal began to drift away.

“ Luck!” Arkados said. He raised his right hand and formed a fist, holding it out before him. Shura grinned and pounded his own clenched fist into the king’s.

“ Always!” The swordsman replied. He leapt from the pier and onto the deck of the Wave Jackal. He did not look back.

On the pier, Arkados spun on his heel and started walking away. He had a thousand issues to settle and a thousand battles to fight on his path to his destiny, a path built for him by the sacrifices of others. Sylurae. Like Shura, the king of Gryloas did not look back as well.

The Wave Jackal drifted out towards the horizon.

A month on the sea went by. Shura spent his time in meditation and furthering Hitomi’s lessons in reading, writing and numbers. The swordsman no longer sparred with Feather. When he would not interfere with the work of the crewmen, he pitched in as well, hoisting, hefting and attending to the most menial chores without complaint. If he had not emerged from the darkness that fouled his soul, he had certainly come to terms with it.

For her part, Hitomi viewed Shura’s lessons as a welcome distraction, for her homesickness grew with each passing day and her anticipation made her restless. Even gentle and patient Aldamus could hardly bear the girl’s over-energetic and chirpy presence for long. She began to have long talks with Oal and both Aldamus and Shura agreed that such an occurrence was a bad thing indeed, especially when the two women cast sidelong glances at Feather and broke into giggles each time. The elf fled red-faced whenever the pair began talking.

During the night, Shura would stand alone upon the deck, his swords drawn and a frown of concentration on his face. He would hold a single stance for hours before shifting to another. The swordsman slept not at all during the nights. He seemed to get all the rest he needed from meditating. The crewmen steered away from him and avoided him when they could, muttering superstitiously each time he came into sight.

The Empire of Blades neared and the day came when Oal announced that they would be within a passenger boat’s range from the coast. She offered to sail Shura to a legitimate port since she was an official envoy of Gryloas but the swordsman declined. He had no wish for the Empire’s wrath to fall upon the Wave Jackal the moment they docked. Using all her naval skills, Oal eluded the Empire’s coast guard and set anchor where a sparse beach was visible. Shura and Hitomi would leave during the dead of the night, when the darkness was thickest.

Feather disentangled Oal’s arms from his neck gently, trying not to wake the sleeping woman. He sat upon the edge of the cot they shared and ran his fingers through his long hair, his features troubled. His gaze fell upon Whispering Edge and his family wakizashi, leaning against the wall of the cabin and he sighed. A sob behind him caught his attention and Feather spun around to see Oal’s tear-streaked face. He began to say something but the words died in his mouth.

Oal walked to her sea chest and opened it, not bothering to cover herself first. She produced a light blue bundle from within, handling it with the utmost care. Feather stood up in surprise. It was the kimono he had been wearing when Oal fished him out from the sea.

The elf opened his mouth but Oal placed a finger over his lips. She began to drape the eastern garment over Feather’s frame. When Feather was fully dressed, he looked towards the full-length mirror that Oal kept in her cabin. He was the perfect image of a samurai without his battle-armor. Oal wrapped her arms around him, burying her face in his chest.

“ I knew this day would come.” She said, her voice breaking as she tried to control her sobs. “ Your life is not with me, I knew this from the start.” In her distress, Oal’s sailor-accent was discarded and she spoke as a noblewoman of the Central Plains would.

“ Yet I kept telling myself otherwise. What a fool I am.” She spun away from Feather’s arms, hugging herself and shivering. “ Go, son of a samurai! Go, blade-master! Go towards your true destiny, Jubei Yagyu!”

The name hit Feather like a physical blow. His agony apparent on his face, the elf snatched up his swords and tucked them into his belt. He opened the cabin door and stood there, full of hesitation.

“ Go!” Oal said once more, her voice shocking Feather out of his immobility. As he made his way to the deck, he walked past Aldamus. The hatred and anger on the doctor’s normally genial face horrified him but he stumbled on. The elf reached the deck just as the boat carrying Shura and Hitomi was about to be lowered into the sea. He clambered aboard, eliciting many cries of surprise from the gathered crewmen but Shura’s steely glare quelled all protests.

The boat was lowered into the water.

“ Can I enter?” Aldamus called out. He was standing at the door to Oal’s cabin.

“ Yes.” She replied, her voice dull with sorrow and the powerful wine that she had been drinking. Aldamus wrung his hands in protest when he saw the empty bottle.

“ You’ll harm the baby, captain!” He cried. Oal waved her hand drunkenly in dismissal. The doctor sighed and was silent for many moments. At length, he spoke again.

“ Does he know?” Aldamus asked. Oal shook her head in response.

“ No. And he need never know.”

Hitomi studied the elf’s distraught features as Shura rowed them to shore. She hopped about in confusion and curiosity, rocking the boat dangerously and causing Shura to frown in annoyance.

“ Why are you here, Feather? What about Oal and the ship?” She asked. “ What…”

“ Do not ask questions that have answers you are not prepared for, girl.” Shura interrupted her. Hitomi stuck her tongue out at him. She had been disgruntled from the start by the fact that the swordsman treated her like a child for a long time. She returned her attention to Feather.

“ Feather…” Hitomi began. The elf’s upraised hand cut off her speech. The pain evident on his face was heart-wrenching but a fierce resolve gleamed in his eyes.

“ Jubei Yagyu.” He said. Taking a deep breath and closing his eyes, the elf reaffirmed his identity. “ My name is Jubei Yagyu.” Hitomi sat down, shocked to the core but a cold smile formed on Shura’s face.

“ Is that so?” The swordsman laughed. “ Welcome home, Jubei Yagyu!” The boat ran aground and the three travelers lost for so long, returned home.

13. Dalveen

Media:
    utterly brilliant. cant say much more than that. i was a bit suprised at the end though, with Feather returning home

14. The Kilted Crusader

[​IMG] Brilliant. I enjoyed every post of this story Shura. You'll be sure that I'll be there for the next :thumb:

15. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

This is excellent! And if you get this published, you can be sure that I'll buy it!

16. Gothmog

Nothing to critisize at all.

When (NOT if) this gets published i'll surely buy it.

A masterpiece :D .

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I would say if.

Just a thought. But I probably shouldn't be judging something I haven't read the whole way through.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Excellent, nothing more need be said.
    And so ends another part of The Legend of Shura. Though maybe you should give the series a name, as that one is taken by the first part.

[ March 07, 2003, 11:26: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

19. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This is some of the best fantasy that I have read for a long time. congrats. :)

20. Linco99 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know this has been a long time,but I'm new and i just wanted to ask-Is Jubei yagyu the same as the one in the Onimusha video game series?Or did you base him on the actual historical figure?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.