1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For those who call football a girls sport...

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    To be honest, I don't so much follow high end football for the reasons you have given. The Premiership, La Liga and Serie A leagues are full of overpaid, over-ego'd, over-dramatic, over-dressed pansies.
    I follow lower league football, where the guys get paid a respectable wage, but not stupid money, and play the game as it always has been: Leg-snappingly tough.
    I do enjoy any kind of football though, despite the histrionics and prancing. Footy is just in my blood.

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

That's true. In the lower leagues you could say the game is more fierce and there's more blood involved because they play the game properly because they aren't really trying to impress anyone. In the case of the higher leagues, players will do anything just to get ahead, but when they make a false move in front of 50k people THEN you have a problem because THAT's when you're not playing the game anymore. Pathetic really.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Barmy

Biting? Did you say biting? Is there hair pulling too? And this R Keane, I've never heard of her. Is she hot? :p

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hey! That's the way girls fight! What a bunch of sissy poofs!

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ref biting! Imagine a basketball player suddenly turning around and taking a chunk out of the ref - Tyson stylie ;) .

6. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Looking at the videos I have yet to see ANYTHING in SOCCER to compare with LT breaking Thiesman's leg (compound fracture by bending Joe IN HALF - sideways - while a 350 pound linebacker was laying on Joe's legs).

Soccer is still not a real man's sport. Show clips from Rugby.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    'Soccer' is not a real mans sport as apposed to what, baseball perhaps? Or maybe American football where a foul gets called when one guy strokes another guys nipple.

I'll leave it with you our kid...

Americans :shake:

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... never seen that one. Although I have seen 300 pound guys hit head-to-head and break their necks. Nothing beats the hit to a receiver during a high, over-the-middle catch. I've seen many receivers removed in a stretcher after those hits (and no penalties called -- I guess the defender stayed away from the nipple).

I'm really not sure what that means.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

UK, US, U figure it out. :roll:
    I believe T2 mentioned rugby...

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    I have, and even at the superbowl. American football is the most stoppy-starty game I've ever seen.

?
    What I said is just a saying. It basically means 'you're on your own on that one mate'.

Rugby is a British sport which coincidently has fewer injuries than football, and far fewer serious injuries.
    Play football and have someone two-foot tackle you round the back of your legs with metal studs. Weight and all this other fancy dan stuff is crap. That will hurt more than anything.

You really should try and not to be so narrow-minded, Bruno. I say these things for your own good. I try to educate people.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Because the guys who play rugby don't fall over in agony every time someone comes anywhere near them, like they do in soccer.

13. Bion Gems: 21/31

Now for a *real* man's sport, look no further than Aussie rules football. No play diving, no armor... just 1970s style shorts, ridiculous socks, and mullets for everyone and you're good to go.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Too bad nobody gives a crap about that one.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A few million people in Melbourne might dispute that. Those guys go absolutely nuts over that sport. I've seen women cry who missed out on getting tickets to certain games.

16. T2Bruno

Media:
    "Aussie rule" was the only way I played football as a kid. No one in my neighborhood had pads, just a lot of broken bones and scars.

Good one. I like that.

17. Bion Gems: 21/31

And mullets. A lot of them. You too. Admit it.

Actually, Aussie Rules is very different from US football. It's played on an oval field, with everyone running about madly making forward passes by punching or kicking the ball. At least Rugby rules football is played on a grid.

When I was in Melbourne in Fall 2004 all these fans were running around wearing scarves that were either red and gold or teal and black (brisbane vs part adilaide?). Like Gryffindor was playing Slytherin.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    The whole point is. Uninformed people (read: Americans) refer to football as a girls sissy sport, to try and ridicule it. But when broken legs, snapped metatarsals, broken noses and crunched nuts happen quite regular, it clearly isn't ;) .

It's the worlds most popular sport for a reason.

19. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Thats why everyone should follow the Scottish league. Sure its not perfect, but Scots hardly play act when you compare them to the English, Italians, Portugese and Spanish. Also, SPL is far more interesting now that its not all Old Firm dominated, mainly due to Romanov's influence in making Hearts into a European class team.

20. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don´t understand the obsession of the american for prove his manliness. Ok, the (american) football is entertaining, but a sport with two hippos with shoulders pads struggling between, is not really a "really man sport", maybe a "really fat man sport".
    The soccer is not rude, is more based in skill and intelligence, but sometimes is very rude with broken legs and noses.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.