1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For the love of God, can I get a .PDF?

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by The Great Snook, Sep 12, 2008.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just started playing NWN2 and I'm really enjoying the sorcerer's place online guide for the game. One of these days I have to figure out a way to convince Tal and the author to assemble the guide into a .PDF. It is a real pain in the ass to have to print out webpages. Each one is three pages when you factor in all of the ads, links, etc. that actually make up a web page.

You would think games would actually be playable in a window. I am a multiple monitor kind of guy and I would love to have the game open on one screen and the guide on the other. Who knows, maybe there is a way to do that and I just haven't found the correct option yet.

As walkthroughs go I am really impressed by it so far. The maps are a touch you don't get if you are using gamefaqs or some other service. Of course, I expected nothing but the best as the TOEE one was first rate.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The whole point of online walkthroughs is that you don't need to print them, but can reference them while you play. I haven't played NWN2 myself yet, but normally you can Alt-Tab in games to minimize the game so you can take a look at the walkthrough. If Alt-Tabbing doesn't work, pressing the left Windows button (between Ctrl and Alt) usually does it.

But if you have multiple monitors, I'm not sure what the problem is... don't you just play the game on one and have another one free to use a browser on?

I'm sure Beren will be pleased to hear that you enjoy his online walkthroughs. ;)

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I wish it was that simple. In order for it to work in that way, the game has to be played in a window. Most games (including, I believe every game here at SP) do not play in a window and instead take a "full screen". You do not have the option of having the mouse go to the other screen to use it. In addition, form prior experience, games do not like it when you alt-tab back to the desktop. They get very fussy, when you try to alt-tab back to them.

However, you are correct. Beren is the best.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's an executable parameter to play most (if not all) games covered here in a window. For NWN2, it's slightly more complicated, but not much:

* Open up your nwn.ini file and find the text Fullscreen=1.
    * Change it to say Fullscreen=0 and add a new line right before or after it.
    * On this new line, put in AllowWindowedMode=1.
    * Save the changes.

Now NWN2 will start in a window, of the size specified elsewhere in the same config file. Note that the minimum resolution that the game will run at is 800x600.

I've been Alt-Tabbing (or rather, using the Windows button) constantly in all of the IE games and throughout NWN1 and all its expansions and never had any issues.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I will have to try this. You are a genius. Don't listen to what everyone else says.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It didn't work for me. I may have to do some research on this. :(

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    press alt+enter in the game to get it to go windowed after setting the above parameters.

And All games covered on SP can be played in Windowed mode fine, I've found :hmm: There are even options in the configs for just about all of them, at worst you need to change an ini or the shortcut.

On a shortcut to a program you can change the properties where it has got the target:
    "<path to the program"
    change it to
    "<path of the program>" -w
    is one way to get a windowed mode on some games.

Another way is to go through the registry, some games have the details of windowed/fullscreen modes there, though I don't reccomend experimenting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.