1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"For Shizzle dawg my nizzle"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, I know that languages evolve. But I'm sure they're not supposed to evolve so quickly that people born 15 years apart are talking a separate language.

There's no way it moves that fast in 200 years. You've only got to look at a copy of a Charles Dickens book from the 19th century to see that the language he was speaking was more comprehensible than 'for shizzle dawg my nizzle' or 'lol txt u l8r'. Even the original Robinson Crusoe (written 1719) is recognisable and legible as English following most of the modern conventions. It's only when you go back to Shakespeare (16th century) and Chaucer (14th century) that it becomes as hard work to read as the gibberish that my youngest brother writes.

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Jaguar's post summed up exactly what I was trying to say: it annoys "old" folks (plus they can't understand it), which is why kids use it. It's the same thing young people have always done, generation after generation.

Using literary works from an older time period is not a good comparison--a better one would be to 19th century slang. Your youngest brother is not writing a book, I presume? ;)

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Evolution of Catchy Pop-Culture Sayings

1. Unique social group unintentionally invents catchy sayings that set themselves apart.
    2. Catchy sayings catch on, influence others.
    3. Catchy sayings eventually used by group totally unlike original group to be cooler and fit in.
    4. Original group disavowes catchy sayings and move on.
    5. Inevitable backlash to over-use of catchy saying sets in.
    6. Catchy saying dies, becomes uncool.

Don't believe me? Try and remember the last person you heard say "That's cool...Not!" or "That is wack!" or "I'm Keepin it Real!" that wasn't a complete dildo.

You know it's over when middle-aged white women tell each other "You go, girl!" Trust me - it's only a matter of time for the "shizzles."

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I sincerely hope that you are right, DR.

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Okay, that's just plain offensive. Really just plain offensive. The popularity of that particular phrase (and many others) can be attributed to white teenage suburbia's attempts to be hip and rebellious against their boring, meaningless lives, Because they see their lives as uncool, they attempt to be cool by being something they are not - "ghetto".

Really, it's just a phrase that someone thought up because they thought "fer sure" was old and a little passee - nothing more.

Really, that just about says it.

Language grows, language changes, and it can (and has many times) change in a generation. However, most "pop phrases" - like "for shizzle my nizzle" will fade out in a year or three and be pushed off into the realm of "bodacious," "radical," and "Freakin' A!" Let the kids have their slang, they will keep it if they want to, or drop it when they grow beyond it. We certainly aren't going to see our journalists and authors writing that phrase down anytime soon. Hell, most of us have had our own "catchy pop-culture sayings" that we used ad nausea , much to the chagrin of our parents and previous generations.

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I use language like that daily. And I´m not even english or american as you can see. Although, I never said that I say it seriously, me and my friends just use lame english frases alot since its so much fun or something :)

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Am I the only "old" person here who, upon first hearing 'for shizzle mah nizzle' knew exactly what was meant?

Or is 27 not old?

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I think you're one of the only people who understood what that meant, not just one of the only "old" people.

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

You mean not many people at all really knew? Man I gotta stop listening to (c)rap artists.

10. Harbourboy

It was complete gibberish to me. I would never have deduced the actual meaning and still can't believe that's what it means (or that anyone would ever say it).

11. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Although you have to wonder about certain, 'timeless' phrases.

I mean, when was the first time someone called something 'cool'?

Think about it. Without actually using the word cool, try to describe what the word means.

Harder than you thought, ain't it?

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    "Groovy" :xx: :spin: :roll: :rolling:

13. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Im not so sure it annoys old people so much as many of you are saying. In fact, many of them probably find it funny.

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

It is actually quite funny. As Harbourboy said, it's hard to believe that someone would actually use such gibberish not to mention inspire a whole country of young people (and lame comedians - eg Letterman) to try speaking the same way. Though I must say, it's harder to understand some rappers who actually use almost-proper English.

15. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I hereby degree this day that all rappers must die. They must die for their vile crimes against all humanity!!! They pollute the minds of our children, filling their heads with fould ideas. Seriously, I just cant be in the same room with someone listening to rap. I say rap is crap! For Shizzle! J/K

16. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Come on, rap isn't that bad.
    Okay, some rappers take it too far, but it can be a decent music genre. Foh shizzle :p

EDIT: Mwahahaha, still got the touch of Topic Death +6

[ February 23, 2004, 10:53: Message edited by: Nocturnal Nomad ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.