1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Football (soccer) stories...

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Atmer, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I thought it’d be nice to open a thread to talk about interesting, funny or famous stories of football. Here in Brazil we have many of these, and I believe it must be the same in any other football nation. So let’s share the stories we know.

To start I ‘ll begin with one that is not very well known.

It’s the tale of the referee Batista Cortes. Batista was born in the Alagoas state in the northeast of Brazil and like many born there, he was a well known supporter of a team called CSA. CSA has never been a major force in the national scenery, but it was one of the main teams in its state.
    In 1963 Batista was selected to work in a game valid for the Alagoas State Championship. The game was CSA X Guarani do Poço. Guarani was a very small team that had been formed just a few years before. So, as you all can imagine, CSA were the favorites for the clash. The game started and neither teams could find their place in the field. Time was passing and the game was nearing the end and none could find the highly awaited goal. It was 45 minutes into the second half, a tie seemed to become the outcome, until the moment when Clóvis, who was CSA’s main scorer, raised higher than the defenders just to meet the ball with his head and score the first and only goal of the match. After the goal, Batista sounded his whistle and ended the game, just to pass out, right there, in the middle of the field. It was all too emotional.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    How about my little Chesterfield making the 4th round of the League Cup after beating ANOTHER Premiership team in West Ham? How'd that for a story? ;)

3. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Good job! :thumb:

Perhaps, it’s the beginning of a great football tale. The small, but valiant, Chesterfield fighting its way through the big names of England's football. Wow, everybody loves an underdog. ;)

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, i'm kinda pissed off with that story, so could we not go there please ?

5. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    As a non-Europeen or South american citizen, I find it fascinating that football is such an emotionnal sport for the fans. I am a hockey fanatic, and Hockey is really big in Canada. But if our teams lose, it's sad but not that big of a thing...

And a word to the wise, never try to pick up a portugese girl in bar, when Portugal just lost in the World Cup. My friend and I learned that the hard way... :lol:

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Football isn't just a matter of life and death, Traictus. It's far more important than that.

7. Triactus

Media:
    @ Barmy : lol, so it seems... so it seems... :lol:

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Football controls my mood to be honest. If my team loses, I get all mardy and not very nice to be around. It can leave me pissed off for days if something happens in a game to rob my team of a result. I'm grumpy, annoying and a general pain in the arse when my team loses. But when they win, it really sets me up for the rest of the day.

Most people I know are the same about the team they support. When you pour so much of yourself into your team (including lots of money on tickets nad travelling!) you can't help it. For me, if you don't get really pissed when your team loses than makes you a fan. Not a supporter. The difference is bloody huge.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

BA; then for the love of God, do not move to Spain and cheer for their national team. :)

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In some places, football IS a matter of life or death: Andres Escobar was shot 12 times, and is well known that he was killed because the own goal he made in World Cup '94, which caused Colombia to be out of the tournament.
    That is a sad, but true story.

11. Triactus

Media:
    Yeah. Here, we just boo our hockey players until they have heart attacks (*cough* Patrice Brisebois with the Montréal Canadians *cough, cough*)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.