1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Food In One Hand... Bible In The Other - An abuse of trust

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cúchulainn, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I always did think that US protestants were more fanatical than Ulstermen :eek:

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    These attempts at conversion only antagonize people whatever their creed may be. It can only lead towards more bigotry on both sides. :(

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Ragusa, by "where possible" I meant when it was within your ability to do so. Obviously, if you aren't a surgeon, you probably shouldn't be trying to take out a ruptures appendix...

But this aid must be unconditionally given, you are right.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    We agree! :)

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wow. The first non-unproductive thread in the Alley or something? ;)

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @Chev: you're a well of knowledge, and I bow down before you ;)
    I might tend to led my pessimism toward Christianity get the better site of me, and after thinking some about your statement, I see some truth in it.

Jesus had something more than divine gifts; Jesus had love. I'll better stand down from this topic before I get to anti-religious and subjective :eek:

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Anti-religious? Olimikrig, you just hit the heart of Christianity. The part that so many people seem to forget is that Jesus said the only two commandments were 'Love God' and 'Love your neighbor'. He said that all the other laws and commandments and teachings were all wrapped up in those two. Of course, part of loving your neighbor is telling them about God, but the next part is giving them aid whether they believe or not.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    But don't love your neighbor's wife (at least physically). :D

Couldn't resist.

By the way, predatory conversion is nothing particularly new at all, as most people know. This is just blatantly obvious. You look at some of the practices of the Scientologists and they are much sneakier.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @dmc: That's, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife in vain." :shake:

[I dunno, Chev, that gives an implication that it's OK to covet your neighbor's wife if it's not in vain, which leads to a commandment to commit adultery if you can get away with it and she's interested . . . - dmc]

[ September 02, 2005, 23:47: Message edited by: dmc ]

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

@olimikrig: I think that the biggest problem that the anti-religious have is how many religious do forget that love ought to be central to the worship of God, not power or compliance. Obedience ought to come from love (John 14:15 states that "If you love me, keep my commandments"), not fear or dependence upon a church to provide. Further, Charity, as defined by the Apostle Paul, is the pure love of Christ, not predatory conversion to give your faith more impressive numbers on some non-existent score card...

NOG: Actually, I thought it was to administer aid first, then testify of Christ second. IIRC, the crux of this thread is that some groups are trying to convert first, then giving the aid only to those that convert. If they need the aid, perhaps their need may distract them from the witness being borne of Christ...

@ dmc: lol. Actually, in my religion, people get excommunicated for adultery.

11. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That's only my two cents about Jesus Christ's beauty:

From Isaiah 53

"2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.