1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First run through this game- feedback please

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Giles Barskins, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Just make sure you start SoU with a level 1 character (a friend of mine exported his character from the OC, predictably it was awfully boring).

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have to agree with Giles Barskins. I recently got the game with SoU from a friend. And so far, the original game has been...boring. Repetitive. I have obtained three of the required ingredients...and there was nothing major or special or memorable. Lots of enemies rush to me, I cast fireball and BOOM they shriek in agony and die. Rest and repeat. This is boring!

Although I had to say, I kinda liked the zombie infested town area...The game suddenly kinda felt like Resident Evil series...for about a few minutes I was even having fun!

Should I try the expansion quest, to tell you the truth I have little will to do it. And I don't even want to enter the world of mods for NWN, which is odd as I am a mod freak when it comes to IE games. Oh well... This is sad.

If I want a good RPG with memorable NPCs, story and places, plus lots of tactical options, it seems I would prefer my modded BG2. If I want an action with good, shiny 3D graphics I would play Prince of Persia or Resident Evil series. This game tries to be both and fails miserably.

3. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Chapter 3 and parts of Chapter 2 are actually quite good. But Chapter 1 and Chapter 4 are horrible. Nowadays, I'm not playing much of the original campaigns anyway. So many good custom module around. :)

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I am playing the OC for the first time as well (actually I am playing NWN for the first time too). It is a bit like IWD, but with worse graphics and story. It is quite boring to run between houses that all look the same. Old 3D ages a lot faster than hand drawn 2D backgrounds and sprites. Hopefully the expansions will be worth it once I get that far.

5. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Playing the expansions is like playing an entirely different game than the OC.

SoU is way better. And the community mods are great too. I haven't found one yet that was as boring as the OC...course I tend to look for high-rated ones...

6. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I recommend you to try Blackguard module. Is in 3 parts and allows you to play as a truly evil character. Is one of the best around and completely bug free.
    Other than that A Hunt Through the Dark is a very good module that allows you to play as a drow.

You could also install PRC. Works perfectly with the original campaigns and most modules. Is an improvement taking the rules closer to AD&D adding classes, races, skills and feats.

7. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I finished Chapter 1 and, well, I do not know what to say. First I laughed and then I cried.

Déjà vu.

Apparently this also continues throughout the OC... *sigh*.

8. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I'm thinking of installing NWN with SoU and HotU again.

I never started on SoU and HotU, but finished the OC once. I tried playing it again sometime ago but (not surprisingly) was nearly bored out of my mind with the dull storyline, repetitive tilesets and silly quests.

So.. I guess my question is, can someone recommend me any good mods that I can play instead of the OC, in which I will gain enough levels as if I'd finished the OC, and then I can export that character to start SoU and then HotU.

Or is that even possible, exporting characters you've created in a mod? Sorry, I've never tried any mods for NWN before.

Thanks in advance!

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's possible. However, you don't seem aware that you start at level 1 in SoU again... so you don't need a bridge module. There's only a gap of a few levels between SoU and HotU (you can check for bridge modules for that on SP), but you don't really need them there either. HotU just levels up your SoU char until it's the appropriate level.

10. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Oh.. I didn't know that, because I installed them all, but never got around to playing more than the OC.

So.. even if I finished the OC with a level 20 character, I'd still be reset to level 1 in SoU? Great, that means I can just play SoU and skip the OC.

Thanks!

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, no, you can start your level 20 character in SoU and he'll be level 20. Rather boring, I imagine.

12. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I see, thanks for all the help. I'll probably try it out once I finish my BG2 run.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can start in SoU with a character of any level, but it won't scale up in difficulty to match it, so it's best to start with a new character.

14. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I played through with a player that had already been through the OC and it wasn't much fun. Mind you, I find the end chapter of SoU to be very difficult so it was a mild relief :p

15. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

BTW, what level can I reasonably expect to be at the end of Sou, if I do a large portion of the side-quests?

And what level would HotU adjust me to if it finds my character level to be too low?

16. Taluntain

Media:
  17. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Thanks, Tal. Should have just checked it out myself. :)

18. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Aw you guys, you're making me wanna play NWN now :p

19. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I finished the OC some days ago, thankfully it got a little better towards the end, otherwise it would have been extremely boring. What a huge disappointment. At least SoU has been somewhat better than the OC and it does not seem to be as long as the OC, fortunately. Maybe HotU will be the saviour...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    HotU is the best of the bunch by far.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.