1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First impressions

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by joacqin, Nov 11, 2011.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What mobs have the highest level souls? I got Azura's Star and am thinking about pimping up my gear a bit. Up to now I have only worn rewards and stuff I made mostly to level. I am lvl23 with 60 skill I think in enchanting is it worth it to start going for stuff to use or should I wait until I max enchanting and then go hunt the big souls? Is there any ranged soul trap spell? I am not comfortable in melee range of any mob whose soul is worth stealing which has led me to not steal as many as I should have. Will I ever be able to enchant my own stuff to be better than the robe and mask I got for finishing the college? The archmage robe is pretty bad ass and the mask with 100% mana regen is both good and looks awesome (even if it now and then is invisible and takes my head with it). I think this is one of the things I like the most with the ES games, your character actually looks cool. Not like in Dragon age where your character looks awful no matter what you do. My dream would be to enchant a simple black robe and hood with some kick ass chants cause honestly, what can beat a black robe and hood for a mage?

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Mammuths have grand souls so they are, to my knowledge, the easiest to farm since there are so many around whiterun.

I don't think there are any ranged soul trap spells, but why not enchant a bow?

I dont think you can make a better robe than the archmage one. Iirc there's no enchant that decrease cost on all spells so at best you can make a robe that decrease cost on one school and increase mana regen. Not sure though as I've never played a mage so haven't bothered to check.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Was afraid of that, was afraid that I had gotten the best piece of mage gear at level 18 or so I was when I was made archmage. That is one disapointment, the college quests are short, few and not very satisfying but I guess it fits with the setting and with wizards being frowned upon.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hotkeying 1-8

1: mark weapon or spell as favourite.

2: press in play q and label the favourites as 1-8

3 double tap to move weapons/spells to offhand.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I have a disk and it installed from the disk but Steam does activate and does an automatic update. Be careful as I understand there is a program that makes it possible to play without going to Steam. I understand that hte qutomatic patch contrevenes this and can cause problem.

My Impression of the game.
    I started it on my desktop which has a Radeon Video Card and it was absolutely fantastic. However that machine is currently in the hospital and I am playing it on an inexpensive laptop. Graphics are not good and neither is sound quality. Otherwise I find it the best RPG game I have played in a long time. It rivals Baldur's Gate except in companions and their dialogue. No game I have played has reached BGs standard when it comes to dialogue.

The quests are interesting. Their are choices to be made in many of them. The Thieves Guild is greatly improved. True criminals. The campanions are not an off shoot of the Fighters Guild as some speculated but have an ancient history. I haven't joined the Legion or Stormcloaks yet so can't judge. Neither have I joned the Mage Guild. My character is a rogue. :) A female Khajiit.

I have not downloaded any mods and will not until I have played the game thoroughly and enjoyed what Bethesda as done. They have fixed almost all the things I didn't care for in Oblivion. The horses are great, have reins and are easy to manuver. I didn't care for the dog companion, the barking annoyed me and it kept getting in the way.

What I would like added: Pack animals, saddle bags. Fur clothes for people and a nice alpine meadow. I hope modders will remember that this Skyrim, not Cyrodill/Oblivion and not Fallout. There will also be an official patch out soon.

Skyrim is an unique place, reminds me of Alaska where I lived for a year and a half.

6. joacqin

Media:
    Nice to see you around Nakia! One thing people should pay attention which I didn't are the standing stones and their bonuses. I played up to level 23 without any bonus from them and there are some pretty sweet ones. Apparently you are supposed to find them right after you escape from Helgen but well, I didn't and was wondering when they would come into play. Could have been a bit more obvious in their implementation in my opinion.

7. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you follow the path from Helgen to Riverwood you will walk right past three stones standing together (warrior, mage and thief). If Raloff is with you he will comment on them and IIRC you'll also get a pop-up telling you about standing stones :p.

8. joacqin

Media:
    Nowai!

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I've always hated the Elder Scrolls games and preferred party based RPGs ala Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age, but Skyrim... dayuuum this is easily the best RPG I've ever played. The game world is incredible, weather effects and all. This will also be the first RPG where I actually feel like I'm playing a proper rogue. I could spend hours picking locks and stealing other people's stuff!

10. joacqin

Media:
    Still having a blast and discovering more and more things I want to do. The more I finish the more things I discover. Other characters are put on hold indefinitely. I just spent a few hours walking around in the amazing, wonderful, beautiful, eerie underground zone of Blackreach looking for flowers and I have just entered the den of the Dark Brotherhood which seems to be a true gang of evil psychotic killers and not the "noble" cool guys assassins are often portrayed as.

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That's sold me.

*gets out his wallet and heads to the car*

12. joacqin

Media:
    Well, I just thought I would continue to lavish praise upon this game. There are several things with this game that I find to be rather "meh" the entire shout thing which is pretty central is nothing gets me going at all. I am not very fond of the settting with snow and ice at all. I play with constant freeze lags as soon as I move around in the world and I have to constantly return to my base to unload my inventory. I find the levelling system to be a bit limited and simplistic and the fact that you gain levels from accidentally improving skills you do not really like is a bit annoying.

Despiteall this I am again constantly blown away by the level of detail and the amount of content in Skyrim. I just mastered the master level destruction spells and they are awesome. The variety of the quests and the sheer overwhelming abundance of quests means that there is always always something to do. The combat is fun and challenging, I love the fact that I as a pure mage can summon demons who will kill me with one blow if I piss them off. No weakling summons here but powerful entities that can stand toe to toe with your foes. I have purposefully put off finishing the main quest because I want to finish my character before and I am getting close but there is SO much more to do. This is by far the best singleplayer RPG since BG2 although the comparison is not really valid as they are very different games but it blows away everything Bioware has done and I really liked Mass Effect 1 and 2 but they were ultimately short games. If you just do the main quest in Skyrim you get as much playtime and as much roleplaying as one whole ME or DA game but add to that ten times more content, factions, caves, forts and thousand upon thousands of things to discover. I am in awe of what this already amazing game could have been if they had gotten everything right but even as it is you have an amazing time playing it.

Sorry for the rant but there are so many people on this board lamenting the lack of good games that I really do not think you can pass this one up. Bethesda has managed to make a deep, huge, intriguing role playing game while at the same time giving it mass market appeal. I was worried about that I thought the game would lose itself trying to please everyone but it hasn't. A complete "newbie" can play this just looking for the cheap, quick fixes they usually get from Modern Warfare or Call of Duty and have a good time but at the same time the hardcore rpg gamer looking for depth and story can spend countless hours in Skyrim and it works for both.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I honestly can't believe this forum isn't blowing up here.

Skyrim is the best RPG to come out in YEARS. It is better than either Dragon Age game - and you guys know how much I love Origins. Considering all the complaining we've seen around here the last few years, that there's no decent RPGs anymore, we get the motherload and this forum is essentially dead.

Why? :confused:

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Because it's so good we're playing it instead of posting about it on a forum ;)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    DR, I think it's due to the fact that there are about a dozen large dedicated Skyrim forums out there (not to mention older, established TES communities), so I expect that most people post there. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that it's this bad, but I guess it all comes down to Google who prioritizes any website with Skyrim in its domain over us, and there are literally dozens of sites that fit that criteria. A lot of people were hoping to cash in on the Skyrim craze and most of the sites are more or less dead, but they still rank much higher in Google's results on account of being all-Skyrim.

And then there's also the fact that the gaming forum scene has mushroomed ridiculously in the last few years - there are pages upon pages of them for pretty much every game, wikis which have taken the place of fansites... And the fact that Bethesda has their own forums where most of the fans post, etc. Dozens of combining factors that are culminating in less and less traffic to our forums every month unfortunately.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Skyrim is easily the best game to come out this year. Arguably the best rpg to come out in the last 10 years too. Might be that the Witcher games are better. i wouldn`t know, since i haven`t played them yet. The fact that Skyrim is as good as it is, also fills me with a feeling of dread. I can not for the life of me see how the next Elder Scrolls game can top this.

17. joacqin

Media:
    I can, there are SO many things they could improve. The step from Oblivion to Skyrim was one where they took most of the best things from Oblivion and left the bad to make Skyrim but there still a few good concepts from the old ES games they could re-implement but as long as they give us a huge game world to explore I am happy. Make the same game but in a more interesting setting without to many boring draugrs and if they are going to jump several hundred years between each time maybe technology could move just a tiny bit.

Super-awesome as Skyrim is I think it is definitely toppable.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Tal,

That's not really what I meant. I was more referring to our existing community, including our dormant members. I wasn't really expecting an explosion in NEW traffic due to Skyrim.

The fact that the BG2 forum here has seen more action in the last month than the Skyrim forum is just downright odd to me. Such a great new game - after years of people here complaining about no great new games - and it feels like only about 6 of us are playing it. Where's Chandos? Nakia? Aldeth? I know Falstaff is a fan of the series, though he's been out of play here for some time.

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think there are a number of factors:

1. The one thing most of us at SP have in common is that we’re fans of ad&d games, so in that regard, SP is still largely a d&d site (as evidenced by your observation about the BG2 forums). Yes, there is cross-over to other RPG’s, but to a lesser extent.
    2. Skyrim is still a new game, and I get the impression that SP’ers are generally content to wait awhile before picking up a new game (I certainly fall into that category).
    3. If people are looking for information, they are likely going to go where they think they’ll get answers. For example, a few months ago, I asked about mods for Oblivion, and I got a grand total of 2 responses – one from you, and a belated one from Merlanni. Now it’s not that both answers weren’t good (they were), but with the number of mods out there, I was kind of expecting more responses, and when I didn’t get them, I was frankly a bit disappointed (whether that disappointment was justified or not is kind of beside the point). So I am not likely to look here for answers to questions on ES games. (I know that sounds kind of “pouty”, and that isn’t my intent, but the reality is that I’ll go to where the action is.)
    4. Once (if) Aldeth starts posting, you’ll have analyses coming at you left right and centre. :D

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    DR, our existing community is rather inactive when it comes to the gaming forums... has been for some time now, as I'm sure you've noticed. The lifeblood of every gaming site is a regular influx of new members, because most people only visit gaming forums for as long as they need help with a particular game. A very small number remain active beyond that. Expecting a lot of new traffic when a major new title is released is actually the normal course of action for our type of community.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.