1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by DarthMuffin, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is the second time I've seen this (maybe both from you), so I'm wondering: Do you mean eventually? I've got a Dalish Elf Rogue with one rank in lockpicking and I've been putting all points into Dexterity and Cunning (more Dex at first) and I run across quite a few chests that it says I have insufficient skill to open.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You're better off using daggers because they're quicker but having a dagger in your left hand and a sword in the right will already make you hit faster than you would with two swords, maces or axes. So there's nothing wrong with using a sword in your main hand.

You need 60 points in Cunning to be able to open all locks with one rank in lockpicking. If you go for maximum Cunning which is a rather good idea for a backstabbing rogue (as it also increases armour penetration) you can choose skills that will be more useful for your build (especially since the number of skills is limited).

Picking locks is not essential because of the loot which is rather bad (except a few rare exceptions) it is essential because of all the XP you gain throughout the game for unlocking chests and eventually adds up to make quite a difference.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess what I was asking is should I expect to be unable to open chests as I go through an area for the first time, and will I be able to go back when I have higher skills to open those chests, or because I can't open them now, I'm pretty much out of luck for the XP and contents and I should have allocated points/skills differently?

4. Caradhras

Media:
    If you don't spread your points too much and focus on Cunning that should be ok. It all depends on the order you're going through the game as some chests are really hard to open early on unless you max out lockpick. In most cases you should be able to go back. I can't think of one that should pose such a problem.

The chest in the abandoned shop in Redcliffe is really hard to pick. I ran into two chests I couldn't open in the Circle Tower but after gaining one level and putting points in Cunning I could open them.

If you really find it hard (because you put more points on Dexterity early on for instance) then you can pick a second rank in lockpick. Each rank is worth 10 Cunning points.

Don't forget that items can make a difference and boost your Cunning and other stats.

If you have the Stone Prisoner then it could be a good idea to invest a few points in Strength and get it to 20 to be able to wear the Helm of Honnleath which gives you a nice bonus to all stats. Don't forget the Fade bonuses from the Circle of the Magi quest. If you do it early on getting your character's Strength to 20 won't cost you so many points.

With maxed out Cunning you have less need for Coercion as well (except for intimidate of course). It's really a good stat to invest into. Cunning also boosts the Bard song (I haven't tried a Bard build yet as I went for Assassin Duelist but it looks like it could have some potential).

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, no it's not that bad, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go back for chests that I couldn't open and it's not uncommon to find chests I can't yet open right now.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    For the record if you want to pass all Persuasion and Intimidation checks you'll have to max out Coercion.

You don't have to though.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Indeed, occasionally, if it is a plot critical check, your comrades will jump in for you, often to comical effect. Just think of Sten and the templar at the ferry when you choose the 'can't we figure something out' line of dialogue :D

Now easily in the realm of second and third impressions, I really like the way your choices inform the possible choices in other parts of the story.
    Killed all the mages and sided with the templars? Well, you can't call on them to solve the Connor quest without killing either Connor or his mother. decided to defile the Urn and have Wynne and Leliana in your party? You're in for a tough fight.
    And so forth ... nice, nice.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

My second play through I sided with the Templars before I went to see what was happening at Red Cliff. So I ended killing Connor's mom, which took a beating on my influence with Alister. Of course that didn't matter because Logain became a Grey Warden and I had Alister killed. He was too goody goody for me. Besides, my PC was going to be the new king and what not. Hopefully I didn't spoil too much for those of you who haven't played the human noble origin.

For those of you who have not taken Logain as a companion I do recommend it. He has some very interesting things to say and he has some really good armor in the game.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    @Munchkin:

He totally deserved it. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.