1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First Baldur's Gate experience?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Apeman, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, my first D&D was Icewind Dale 1 an half-an year ago... Now I have passed IWD and IWD 2, and I intend starting Baldur's Gate 1, as I sworn no to play the second before playing the first (and importing the character at all)...

2. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BG1 was my very first experience with CRPGs. It was also my first experience with falling asleep on my keyboard because I couldn't stop playing... I no longer have my first copy- I lent it to someone and he seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. He's probablly still around somewhere... someday I will find him and HAVE MY REVENGE! :flaming: -ahem- :rolleyes: Actually I just bought another copy later on. I still play it from time to time.

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

My first CRPG experience - I had played PnP religiously for years until my "group" broke up after high school. Then, when I saw the demo-CD (the first two chapters) I just randomly picked it up because it looked "cool." After becoming addicted to that, I went out and bought the full game. Actually, I almost failed out of that semester of college because I was more interested in playing BG than I was in doing my homework!!

Ahhhh - memories.

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

BG1 was not my first experience with CRPG's, in fact I played BG2 first :rolleyes: ... that was all that CompUSA had (I didn't know about SP back then). I was so entralled with BG2, I went on to IWD, NWN and others. I'm just now going back and playing BG1 -- the one thing that amazes me is the beauty of the landscape (the flowers, the colors!)and extensive exploring ability...and of course the characters -- it's like visiting with familiar friends. :)

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    well, i just saw the box, and thought id give it a try, and now here i am

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

My first experience with CRPG started with BG1.
    I was at my friends place where he played it. It felt so ancient and medival. So i borrowed it some time later.
    It was so strange when i first started as i didnt know anything at all about it. I didnt know what AD&D means nor skills and stats. I remember buying plate mail in the first shop and then selling it to buy chain mail as it had "better" AC. :rolleyes:

Then i discovered my favourite genre :cool:

7. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My first BG experience was when I was with my friend and he played BG2 in autumn 2001. He was currently in Windspear hills, just before Firkraag battle. When I saw the dragon first time, it was amazing. And then the dragon killed his party. I thought that the game is really hard and forgot it.

But in my next birthday, when I got quite much money, I decided to buy BG2 Collector's edition, because it was in sale (I still have cards, T-shirt, poster and other cool things from it).
    Two months after that I bought Throne of Bhaal and borrowed IWD1 from my friend. Finally, in May 2002 I bought BG1 and TotSC. Now I have played all Infinity games through, except Planescape: the Torment, which is really pity!

edit: typos... agh

[ February 21, 2003, 17:08: Message edited by: Harkle ]

8. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

^Your missing out on the best one!

One thing that was cool about Baldur's Gate was the challenge rating. All the other CRPG games I played after it weren't as hard. Kind of a downer. I guess thats why I still love BG more than most.

9. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Oops! Wrong script :lol: !

I started with PnP actually, and I loved it! I was captivated by the sheer vastness of the Forgotten Realms!

Some time later, I was browsing around Software ETC. and found BG1 and TotSC next to it, and as soon as I saw the Forgotten Realms logo, I was ecstatic! After I went home and started playing I was in a state of pure ecstasy! Afterwards I bought BG2:SoA and ToB and played them through, then IWD1&2 followed by PS:T and Fallout 1&2!

Once I had completed them all, I felt empty, and then discovered www.teambg.com and started scripting and here we are today!!!

[ February 21, 2003, 09:40: Message edited by: Lord Neon ]

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

My friend bought the demo disc with his B-day cash, said it was good and let me borrow it. We both beat it, gave it to another friend and he beat it. Anyway, we all liked it, but were like 10-11, so we all paired up cashand bought it off Amazon. I played it (tried at least) but didn't know jack about how to reroll, how to get to different areas that weren't on the map to begin with, or building a decent, well rounded party. I had two thieves, no mage and jahiera (i was a paladin). I finally got a walkthrough because I was so frustrated. I was at level 5 because I had only done the main quests. it was just horrible. I ended up deleting that game and starting a new one with a fighter.

11. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I played Icewind Dale firt. i got into that because I read the books by Salvatore. Whn I played IWD i became obsessed. Then when i beat IWD I got Bg. I loved that to.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'd been playing various PnP games since I was 8 years old, and I'd always loved them. My friend got BG, and he let me goof off on it one evening. When he went to Australia for a few months, he gave me his copy of BG. He was some mad when I told him I'd found the Cloakwood mines and had been able to get into the city! I then bought BG2, and while it took me a while to get used to the minor changes (which I now believe to be superior!) I loved that too. My friend also gave me Planescape, but I never could get into that one. Now, I just have to wait until I can get away with buying the Icewind Dale games, as welll as Neverwinter Nights -- my wife hates it when I play too much!)

13. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well let's see.
    I bought Baldur's Gate I when I was 12.Then I played it three days or so,until I got killed by
    some big Ogre Magus and then I didn't touched it
    for two years :) .When I started it then again it was real fun,and it was my first RPG.Since that experience I love this type of game.

14. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Yes, my first D&D experience. What few RPGs I've played before that are FF7 (maybe 8, not sure) and some Might and Magics (4 and 5 I believe). Heh, my first character with a mage, but since I was pretty young back then (8?) I thought strengh is the most important attribute and didn't pay any attention to the other stats. He probably had 17 Strengh. In fact, I think he did.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.