1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Firefox 4 - Ugh

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, May 7, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I was apprehensive about the major version upgrade and for good reason - Firefox 4 is way, way slower, sluggish and less responsive than 3.x. It literally feels bloated when I use it.

I'm seriously regretting that I upgraded - should have stuck with v3. :bad:

Anyone else having these issues with v4?

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Firefox 4 was slow to me at first - then I wiped the profile, moving over only the passwords, and it's every bit as fast as Firefox 3.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I also encountered drop-down menus automatically closing everywhere... after some digging, it was suggested it could be one of the addons, so I've gone into safe mode, and yep, the issue was gone. So via elimination I got to Colourful Tabs - this is the one that was causing this problem, so I removed it. I also turned hardware acceleration off in Options and got rid of a couple more addons... surprisingly enough, that seems to have done the trick and Firefox feels back to normal now.

Whew - luckily this was all fixable, otherwise I'd have to revert to the old version.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Long live IE Explorer!

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Being a long time Fox user, I was kinda welcoming the new 4, but the moment I installed it on a second PC, I totally felt out of it. Nothing really felt fire-foxy about it.

And nothing annoys me more than having to re-learn to like the interface and the new look and the whole feel of it.

So I kept the old 3 on my main PC; a happy camper! Sure i will give 4 another go, somewhere down the road, but not anytime soon.

cheers-

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Darion you can easily make firefox 4 look just like three as thats the way I have it set up as I prefer the old look over the stupid minimalist look all the browsers are going after. I have to have a theme and not a persona myself personally and I am glad that they still allow them.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just use Google Chrome and have done with it. It's the fastest by a country mile.

8. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I had problems as well when upgrading to 4, caused by addons.
    But 4.01 works brilliantly now.

Otherwise Opera is a fantastic alternative.All the innovations are 'stolen' from it anyway.

I would avoid the spyware chrome.

9. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

Couldn't agree more. Was a firefox user till I got hooked on Chrome

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.