1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finns - a breed apart!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Viking, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] He-hee, quite funny! Do you really think that it´s that cold here? True, there is snow, -10 C and a icy gale, but in overall it´s no colder than in anywhere else. Oh, and if you decide to visit; try to be careful around the polar bears... :lol:

A riddle:
    Mistähän tommonen maine on tullu? Johtuu varmaan niistä vanhoista Koffin mainoksista...Aika huvittavaa...

Edit: =This "fame" must have come from those old ads of Koff (a beer)...

[ November 23, 2002, 12:11: Message edited by: Virne ]

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sarkasmiahan tämä koko threadi on. Kannattais varoa muuten tämän kielen käyttöä. Jos modet ei ymmärrä niin = sensuroitava. Eihän noi tiedä vaikka tässä vaihdettais pomminteko-ohjeita tms. :)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Right. And this was the last non-English post that didn't get deleted.

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just posting to add with regards to the temps I posted earlier -- that's -75 F obviously, you crazy foreigners and your weird measurement systems.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Precicely my point. Just so you can sleep your wonderful nights a bit easier, here is a 100% accurrate translation of what he said, and I replied:

"Where do you think a reputation like that has come from? Must be those old Koff commercials...Pretty amusing..."

"This whole thread is nothing but sacrasm. You should beware using this language though. If the moderators don't understand it = the text has to be removed. How would they know even if we traded bomb-making instructions or something." (note. reference to a Finnish tragedy a few months back)

So, Tal, rest easy.

[ November 25, 2002, 08:33: Message edited by: Forashi ]

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Well, i did walk with shorts and a t-shirt in -5 C and that was considered refreshing.
    And Virne seems to live in Helsinki.

EDIT1:
    Pyyhi tuo typerä Virne naamaltasi.

EDIT2:
    In finland some people go to sauna +120 C and then run from the sauna to outside -30 C and roll in the snow. They consider it refreshing.

[ November 25, 2002, 11:10: Message edited by: Taza ]

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Quite a few years back when I was still in high-school, we had a gymnastics teacher who ceased to use shorts and a t-shirt only when it was colder than -10/15 degrees celcius. Then he started wearing summer jogging clothes. If he ever got cold while standing, he just started jogging a bit.

Same stuff in the army. Out camping for 1 week in a -20 degree temperature, whenever you got cold in nightwatch or otherwise, just do some pushups, crouch jumps or jogging and that'll keep you warm. It worked, but made a lazy man like me real sick with not ever being able to just sit and relax. :rolleyes:

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Actually, I live, currently, in Vaasa. Used to live in Helsinki a couple of months ago, but had to move after school. Anyway, Forashi; same for you. The main part of my message was in english, so you should had answered in the same way. ;)

At least you have it behind. 13.1.2003 I will be a raw recruit in the lines of Finnish army.

:almostmad: "Do you have something to say SOLDIER?!?!"
    :mommy: "No...duh..."
    :mad: "I SAID: DO-YOU-HAVE-SOMETHING-TO-SAY-SOLDIER?!?!"
    :aaa: "NO, SIR!"
    :mad: "GOOD! NOW GIVE ME FIFTY!! YOU DON´T WANT TO DISAPPOINT ME SOLDIER!!!"

Of course, after a couple of years it will be me who does the shouting. :p

Taza, I have heard that somewhere before...

[ November 27, 2002, 17:00: Message edited by: Virne ]

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I have an uncle who has a habit of sunning himself outside in winter wearing speedos, rubber boots and a furry hat... :p

I have sworn to not to wear a coat for the entore winter, not even if Hell freezes over. I am wearing a cloak. And come next RopeCon, Suomen Viittaliitto, the Finnish Cloak Association, will be founded...

(Never leave anything important on sunday afternoons....)

Ara
    (Cloakaticus)

10. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And I though it was cold in Coventry :) .

I'm not sure if there are many places where it rains as much as it does in Manchester though. (I go to University of Warwick (which is just outside Coventry for some reason) but usually live in Stockport (which is right next to Manchester)).

[ November 27, 2002, 14:42: Message edited by: monkey ]

11. Kekkonen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

...and it goes downhill from there:

"ONE! ONE-AND-A-HALF! ONE POINT SIX! TWO! ... SIXTEEN! EIGHTEEN! DAMMIT, I LOST COUNT! START OVER! ONE!"

Seriously: don't worry about it. It isn't that bad. You probably won't like it much when you're there (unless you have some serious mental issues), but looking back to it can be fun. Sometimes. In a train wreck kind of a way. :D

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Well I can guarantee that civilian life, studying and work and all will feel like the best vacation you ever had for 3 months afterwards. And probably you'll gain a perk called "sleep whenever, wherever you want". That'll last for about 4 months. Also, you'll understand why war is worth hating. At a military police camp just at the very end of my time in the army, I had to stay up for 84 hours straight with 2h sleep (which was during nightwatch) in 3-4 parts along the way. Wasn't intended of course, but crap happens when someone screws up. I got 2 days worth of food, water as much as I wanted (yeah!) and otherwise had to do excersises to keep myself warm (early winter, about 0 degrees [celcius of course] warm, sometimes colder).

13. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

... and your standards for joy go WAY down. A dry handkerchief and clean warm socks seem like the most exciting gifts you can possibly imagine. The mere prospect of a hot bath will make you want to dance. Your mother's cooking will taste even better. Sleeping indoors, and not waking up with your eyelids frozen shut, will seem too luxurious to be true. Although after basic training finishes you will keep waking up in the middle of the night in a panic because your rifle isn't in the bed with you. ;) Good luck!

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Dunno if its that bad in the staff. You know; where commanders, officers and such are trained. I guess it will be very similar with school (university/polytechnic); sitting hours and hours in a dull classroom while others can enjoy of the great outdoors and refreshing mudbaths...*Sigh*

Actually, I´m looking forward to it. I´m in, kinda, bad shape when it comes to stamina. Last year I ran the Cooper´s test, and got 1500. Only 1500! Army, if anything, should improve this. Plus, I get a stylish uniform, learn how to kill, and, most importantly; some wo...Whoops: this is getting off-topic!

[ November 28, 2002, 17:59: Message edited by: Virne ]

15. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Give me a rifle, white cloak and a pair of skis and then you can call me White Death :p

[ November 28, 2002, 19:15: Message edited by: vonGriffin ]

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Gimme a katana black clothing a a german accent, then you can call me a uberhitokiri :p

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Sigh... brings back memories. The last day I was on guard with our other military polices, our chief of security held a paroll for us and said about exactly this: "I know you hate me, and I can guarantee the feeling is mutual. But remember: when you get out of here, you can't touch me for at LEAST four years lest you want to end up in a court martial. DISMISSED!"

One sick bastard that was. By that time we were more friends than underlings to most of the personnel there. And just 6 months ago I heard he actually got in to police-school. There goes my faith in the law-enforcement.

Is this offtopic? I mean REALLY? The first post certainly wasn't like this but basically we're very much talking about the Finns here.

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well... It is slightly OIT, I thinks, so we better get back on track.

A few weeks back I and my roommáte in the ward did a little runaway, got tipsy... well, I got tipsy and she got drunk when I got us a bottle of Koskenkorva... Heh, I am not even old enough to buy beer legally yet... Yet both times I have been to a liquor store to buy Koskenkorva I have gotten it, both the last time and when I was 12.... Anyways, we ran around outside, and my friend got rather cold, so I ended up piling my clothes on her, and the result was that I ran around in -15 temperature wearing only jeans and a polo shirt for three hours. :p

Ara
    (Is it cold? I didn't notice... Is this an icicle in my nose?)

19. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Still off topic.

It was COLD outside this morning. Not that temperature, but that icy wind blowing straight at my face. I just hope that i could get somewhere with 10C, so i could get a tan...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.