1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finally, a Pro-RPG site!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rastor, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm officially a "former D&D addict" who cut himself off from the game for religious reasons. Let me explain to you some of my reasoning for leaving the game behind, giving Biblical support as I have time and handy references (writing from work).

Please note, this is a very personal issue and my statements are not intended to be dogmatic. This is simply why I chose to quit the games ... and distance myself from game-related communities.

My first reason is very practical ... it is not a good use of my time. As a husband, father, church volunteer and full-time employee my time is limited. I found myself staying up until 2 am some nights in ALFA (NWN on-line game), and neglecting other duties. We are called to be good stewards of our time, and for me, CRPG's were not a good use of my time.

Secondly, it took my thought life down trivial and worthless paths. I would lay awake daydreaming of various game situations, or thinking up scenarios. God has blessed me with some creative gifts and I was using them completely on game-related activities. In college I filled notebooks with characters, villains and dungeons. When battling insomnia I found my comfort in fantasy worlds. While this is not necessarily bad, it proved to be unprofitable and unhelpful. In Philippians we are challenged to let our minds dwell on, "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things" For me, prayer, study and reading the classics are more excellent and I've received benefit by letting my thoughts dwell on them.
    Third involves the Spiritual Risk attached to fantasy games. In 1 Corinthians there is an interesting discussion about meat sacrificed to idols. Some Christians would eat the meat and some would not. Paul interjects that it is a personal choice whether to eat the meat sacrificed to idols (probably Roman gods and mystery religions like Jupiter, Minthris, ect). But he also makes an interesting comment about the "reality" of these gods.
    I take these "gods and lords" to be demonic spirits. Yes, I do believe that demons do exist and yes, I believe people can open spiritual doors in their lives by engaging in unholy activities. Is D&D always such an activity? No, I don't think so. Does it have the possibility to be such an activity? Yes! Most assuredly.
    In these games you can either be a paladin or an assassin. You can carry a holy sword or wear "human skin" armor. There is theft, murder, idolatry and many other vices. People engage in activities while walking through these "false realities" that they would never dream of in real life. And while it is "not you" who does the action, it is your mind and spirit controlling the action, imagining it and perhaps benefiting from it.
    For me, Christianity isn't a religion or a way out of Hell. It is an all consuming passion that dictates how I live, work, relate to my wife and use my free time. There are repeated references in Paul's letters that compares living life for Christ to an athlete training for the Olympics. Such an athlete would beat their body into submission, push themselves and deny themselves much pleasure to gain the prize set before them. If they are willing to endure that much to get a gold metal or a TV endorsement, how much more should I push and train myself to win the awards of Heaven?
    I've messed up a ton in my life. There were a few years that my marriage was a wreck, my job was frustrating, I was at my wits end and these games (and this community!) were the best friends I had. I needed you all and that's why I'm still here. I also miss the games. I still catch myself daydreaming of walking with Hallen and Rem looking for orcs, or of other adventures. With the start up of two ALFA spin-offs I've been very tempted to try the Dalelands or Greyhawk. But I've got to tell you, the fun I'd have is paled in comparison to the benefits of following Christ more passionately.

Since I've left the games, I've seen my marriage improve drastically, a few life long friends have come to know Christ, and some very frustrating family members are starting to show signs of life.

Again, this isn't a dogmatic "no one can be a Christian and play D&D" post. Some of my good Christian friends still play. But for me, for now, I'm taking a pass.

-Mat :good:

2. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

D&D isn't "anti-christian" anymore than it is anti-any other religion. The religious mythos of D&D worlds is based upon the collective, real world religious mythologies ranging from ancient Babylonian to modern UFO cults. You will notice from a study of comparitive religions and mythology/anthropology that many RL religions share similar qualities and doctrines.

For example, in most polytheistic belief systems there is an established heirarchy of gods arranged in a pyramid, starting at the top with the Sun god or sometimes the storm God and working down to the various gods of things like revenge and narcisism arranged at the bottom. A "trickster" god is usually found somewhere in there as well(eg. Loki).

Also, none of the powers, feats and miracles of YHWH/Jesus are unique to christianity either. Everything from the great flood to the ressurected messiah appeared prior to christianity.

Therefore D&D clerics are not so much an affront to christianity as they are a nod to the various religious beliefs that have existed for thousands of years.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Which, in the eyes of any Christian religious zealots, is just as bad...

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG]
    You talkin' to me? ;)

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Math, you listed a very good reason for not playing games in general. It wasnt really related to the rpg vs christianity or religion discussion in general. I think we all have stuff we should be doing instead of building the perfect character in our heads or sitting in front of the computer for hours on end. For you it was religion and family and I really need to clean my apartment. :)

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

joacqin ... you're not such a "confused jerk" after all ;)

I realize my post was a bit off-topic ... I just started typing and in a few moments had a coherent statement. I'm surprised I haven't been flamed for it. Thankful and surprised that is! ;)

Now go clean! :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.