1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Final Fantasy games

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Series' started by Frostbite, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I have a PSX, as well as my PC. And I have two of the final fantasy games,
    FF7 and FF9, both on my playstation.

Both of them are amazing, aspecially FF7, and it's probably my favorite as well.

Even though this has probably been post before, I was just wondering whats your favorite one, on either PS1/PSX, PS2( Final fantasy X) or the PC, but I think only FF7 has been adapted for PC.

I think that the most popular will probably be Final fantasy 7 anyway.

PS, how the hell does any one defeat the ultimate weapon, and whats your best party?
    :grin:

2. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

FF7 is definately the best, FF8 is all right, FF9 is great, but I haven't played any of the others.

FF8 was actually brought to PC as well...

My best party was Cloud, Tifa, and Barrett. At the end, I had Cloud equipped with the Slash All materia and Tifa with the Double Cut materia. I had Barrett in there just for his limit breaks.

You beat Ultimate weapon by following him around after he appears and keep bumping into him with the Airship. You'll enter repeated battles where you have to fight him like you did the first time. Eventually, he'll hover by Cosmo Canyon and after you defeat him there, you'll get Cloud's Ultimate Weapon - the more hit points you have, the stronger the weapon is.

A good thing to do is to raise a gold chocobo and collect the materia scattered around the map in secret locations. Do this and you'll get "Knights of the Realm" which is simply amazing and deals close to 100,000 damage. Also, get Limit Breaks with all your characters for a quick finish.

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] My personal favourite is FF9; Ive been playing it through for a second time to get all the secret stuff I missed first time through. Ozma (secret boss) is a bit of a badass and I think my merry crew will need some levellin' before they even think about taking him out.

If you've got a PS2 I heartily recommend FFX. Its got the best mini-game out of all of them; Blitzball. The FMV sequences are incredible and the characters are all intersting. The sphere grid is a pretty nice to standard levelling up, too. Add to that the inexplicable coolness of Auron and you've got a fairly sweet little game.

As for my favourite FFVII party, its got to be Cloud, Tifa and Aeris. Dont suppose you can count Sephiroth...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 09, 2002).]

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

FF3/6 is my favorite, with FF1 as a runner up. FF7 has something almost neat to it, but when I factor in all of the Japanese culture to it, it really takes away from it.

Along with the fact that I had to read a 3000+ word plot synopsis just to even have the *faintest* idea of what was going on with the Chi and the nasty Americans.

Made my head swim for a week. Only stopped spnning after I read another synopsis with the 'token black guy' and 'wide-eyed, innocent, doe' as main characters.

Confusing culture.

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I've only played 4-7. I liked 6 the best because everything about it was great. Plot, Characters, Music, Villains.

You might say FF7 had good characters and I agree. But FF6 has 14 in total and 3/4 of them are developed to the point of being considered a main character. Plus it was nice and long. And the game became non-linear about half way through. (Unlike FF7 which stayed on one track most of the time, i.e. "There ain't no getting off this train")

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited July 09, 2002).]

6. total Guest

I have PC so i finished FF7 and 8 only, liked both but yes 7th is better. I have tried the previous with use of emulators and similar but stopped after i found some bugs. I like mana system of the 8 and junctioning but i like story of the 7th part more (i like Cloud and hate that whining Squall) But i really hate that 9999 barrier!!! Defeated Ultima weapons in 8th (not a big problem with "hero" items) and i got gold chocobo in 7th but never managed to kill those ultimas :(

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

FFX. I'm a sucker for good graphics. And the rest of it isn't too bad either.

8. Sol'Kanar Guest

Can't beat the classics. FF3/6 was the best console RPG I ever played. But then, I neither have, nor desire to buy a PS or PS2.

9. herf Guest

Personally I've played 6, 7, 8, 9 and some of 10 :D

6 rocks, Terra and the whole story really appeals to me, not the "Save the world" type of stuff that has followed in the 4 later games.

7 was fantastic, the idea of Materia is great, especially with the "All" and "Elemental" Materia, also I like the way Materia levels up, it's *believable*. But regardless of what people say, the Weapons were just too easy. Then again... The "Knights Of The Round" Summon Materia was fantastic...

8 is by far the best though, the junction system is just amazing, it allows for so much diveristy, each character can grow the way you want them to!
    [Lesser known knowledge: The only single hit of damage greater than 9,999 points of damage in the game is GF Eden's summon.]

9... Well, 9 just plain sucks, the main character has a damned tail and the story is exactly the same as in 7...

10... I haven't played enough of ten for it to grow on me, bit at a first glance: The Sphere Grid looks annoying but likable but the characters look amazing...

Herf out... For now.

10. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've played 7,9,10 and my favorite was 7 by far. I played 8 for like 1 minute and I just didn't like it for some reason.

11. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Final Fantasy 7 is the Ultimate RPG of my life so far. My second favorite RPG was the heavily unnoticed Xenogears, which in my books has a better story than FF7, a much better combat, but falls short on the difficulty area, Xenogears was pretty darn hard, FF7 had more opportunities to train to get better, and it had the Materia system.

My third favorite RPG would have to be.....Secret of Mana. If a re-make was made to PS2 or even PSX standards, it might rival the top two, but age just pinches the silver and gold medals.

P.s If anyone gets the chance, get Xenogears. It may not be a Final Fantasy, but it is from the Squaresoft family. so don't give me no :yot: stuff.

12. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I'd love to get Xenogears, but I dont think its been released in PAL format, has it? Let me know if you know otherwise, anyone.

Are Final Fantasies 4 and 5 any good? FF Anthology was recently released over here and I was wondering if its worth parting with my hard-earned 20 sheets over....

13. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Unless you have a problem with the ancient graphics, go for it.

And the topic is about Final Fantasy, not Squaresoft, so Enthasius's post was kinda off-topic ;)

14. I've got 7 and 9 and I think that 9 rules.

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've got FF7, FF8 & FF9 and i must admit, they are all great!

My favourite game is probably FF7 ... i mean, there is so much to do there

FF8 has a good storyline ... and love theme ... the card games also bad ass

FF9 has a new feel to it ... it also deals with other races a bit more than the other two ...

16. Aziraphale Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I'm working on FF7 at the moment, I'm looking forward to finishing it so I can get going with 6, 8, 9, and 10 :)

17. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] My absolute favourite Final Fantasy experience (not game ;)) is Final Fantasy VI. The Terra story enchanted me, and almost everybody is the 'main' character. It's also gifted with great music. Nobuo Uematsu's greatest work I believe.

Next would be Final Fantasy VIII. The 'SeeD' concept is quite cool, and the card game is phenomenal. I can't imagine how much time I wasted just playing the card game. The love theme is also pulled off very convincingly, and I loved 'Eyes On Me'. The tragic love story of Laguna really hit me, and the ending FMV brought a tear to my eye. It's my favourite 'second-generation' Final Fantsy. I completed Final Science Fiction (:p) VIII at least 8 times.

Next would be Final Fantasy Tactics. Ivalice and the 50-year War proved to be a great background for (IMHO) the best storyline in Final Fantasy. The tale of a simple commoner rising to Kingship was a great one, full of plot twists and turns. And the untold tale of a single Beoulve rising against the odds to save the world is absolutely captivating. The job system, I feel is more refined than FFV, thus I put this experience above it. I love it.

The next FFs in order are FFIX, FFV, FFVII (groundbreaking).

The earlier FFs deserve a mention for their original story (at the time).

I haven't played FFX yet, but I've heard rave reviews about it.

[This message has been edited by Rhythm (edited July 15, 2002).]

18. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm, let's see, which Final Fantasy did I like the most? I'm not too sure on this one, I like several of the games. Then again, there are Final Fantasy games I don't like: FF VIII, and FF X is getting on my nerves, a gameplay issue only though (can't stand the sphere grid system.)
    I think that the first Final Fantasy should be mentioned because in my opinion it's the hardest! Anyone that's played it will know what I'm talking about (has anyone played it?)

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've hated every FF game I've played. They're just so...linear. Detached. I feel like I'm watching TV, not playing a game. I don't have ANY influence on the story. I mean, with PS:T, this was okay because there was room for a few alternate paths, but FF...I dunno, it just bugs me.

The big, "impressive" spell effects get on my nerves. They make battles take waaaayyyy too long, and don't really look good at all-at least on a TV. The whole battle system, press a button, watch, wait 10 seconds, press a button, watch, lather, rinse, repeat annoys me as well.

but hey, that's just my opinion. If you love the games, more power to you

20. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

I have been playing a Lot on FF9, and I'm stuck. It's the battle with the second dragon, after the fight with Kuja.

It's after the FMV where all the silver dragons are flying out of the portal and being shot down by the Lindblum guys.

Anyway, Zidane is about level 40 something, and the others are quite close behind. Anyone know how to kill it. e.g party and tactics?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.