1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/thief multi-class rule!!!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Christian, May 9, 2001.

1. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I just start a game with an half-elf f/t mc, and I dont think that you can find better
    what do you think about it?

2. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

i think.. u might as well go figther/thief/mage... that would be an excellent combi.. since u can adjust ur tactics better... esp if ur going solo...

3. kasio Gems: 7/31

Can you backstab as f/t?
    Can u put 5* to weap proficiency?
    Can u wear full plate?
    Do you progress (thac0, ac) by fighter table?

4. Christian Gems: 7/31

if your wear a full plate you cant hide in shadow and open lock
    and you got the thaco of the fighter
    and yes you can backstab
    you can put 2 slot in
    and 3 in 2 weapon

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited May 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited May 09, 2001).]

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Let's compare a mc Fighter/Thief with a dc Fighter/Thief.

Premise:
    Fighter duals to Thief after level 9.

Status is checked at 89,000 xp, 1,000,000 xp and 2,950,000 xp.

* 89,000 xp *
    - mc F/T
    Level: F6/T7
    Max base HP's: 51
    THAC0: 15
    Thief skill points: 150

- dc F/T
    Level: F7
    Max base HP's: 70
    THAC0: 14
    Thief skill points: None

* 1,000,000 xp *
    - mc F/T
    Level: F10/T12
    Max base HP's: 78
    THAC0: 11
    Thief skill points: 250

- dc F/T
    Level: F9/T13
    Max base HP's: 102
    THAC0: 12
    Thief skill points: 270

* 2,950,000 xp *
    - mc F/T
    Level: F13/T16
    Max base HP's: 87
    THAC0: 8
    Thief skill points: 380

- dc F/T
    Level: F9/T22
    Max base HP's: 120
    THAC0: 11
    Thief skill points: 450

Note:
    These calculations were done hastily while I waited for my tea to boil so errors may well have crept in.

Edited in later:
    Yep... this needed to be edited. Perhaps I should say something about the figures as well! :D

- HP's:
    The undisputed advantage of a dual class F/T is the high HP's. How important is that? IMO it's not very important since the multi class gets good enough HP's.

- Thief skill points:
    Dual classing eventually gives more, but multi classing makes thief skills available from the start. It can be argued that you don't need 300+ thief skill points. That is my opinion.

- THAC0:
    Multi class begins roughly equal and later gets a better THAC0 and will also get more attacks per round since his Fighter class remains active.

- Race:
    Multi class F/T can be any non-human race which is an advantage. I don't think Half-Elf is the best choice though.

* My conclusion *
    Surprisingly - I'm a dual class fan - in this case I find the multi class to be better.
    Dc Thief/Fighter is another matter. F/M/T is also worth considering as Lord Praetor Munir
    said.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 09, 2001).]

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

After Playing A F/M/T as stated on a few post I am totally adicted! My non-cheat F/M/T can defeat the extreeeeeeemly over-hacked undead-hunter character with 245 hp that can be downloaded from http://www.baldursgatehaven.com/

Have fun

7. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] try a solo sorcerer and you'll see what true might is! :cool:

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A good fighter-thief results from the elven and halfling races. Their 19 dex & reace boni come in extremely handy when using missile weapons and improve thieving abilities too.

The thief and the mc/ dc combos with it are IMHO the most interesting to play in the game. Ath the moment I´m very impressed from Imoens debut in the underdark - she swept the beholder dungeon almost alone (thanks cloak of reflection) and now performs great in the mindflayer dungeon ...

Si in my exes mage-thiefs, fighter-thiefs, thiefs and fighter-mage thieves are great alltogether ... and without the x-cap the fmt would my char of choice ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 10, 2001).]

9. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

oh come on.. F/Ts cant cast spells... and Half-lings are too short for my taste.. and too weak too

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] A few more F/T options:

For reference: Multi-class Fighter/Thief
    Maxes out at Fig-13/Thi-16

* Alternatives *
    - Multi-class Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Maxes out at Fig-11/Mag-12/Thi-14
    You get level 6 mage spells in exchange for ½ less attacks/round and 2 worse THAC0. You also give up some, at that level, only marginally useful thief points.
    Result: Superior to mc F/T.

- Assassin-13 dc to Fighter
    Maxes out at Assassin-13/Fighter-17
    Result: Superior to mc F/T.

- Swashbuckler-12 dc to Fighter
    Maxes out at Swashbuckler-12/Fighter-18
    Result: Superior to a mc F/T.

11. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.