1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Feces Steak! Mmmm...mmmm?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Me: "Excuse me, waiter?"
    Waiter: "Yes, sir - is there a problem?"
    Me: "I'll say. There's something wrong with my steak."
    Waiter: "Is it not cooked to your liking, sir"
    Me: "No no, it's rare enough. It's just that..."
    Waiter: "Yes?"
    Me: "Well, I should have mentioned I'm allergic to peanuts."

...aaand scene.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ironically, the McCrapper might well be the least crappy in terms of nutritional value and health :) .Still, I'd much prefer it if they'd feed this stuff to animals. Think of all the hungry chickens!

Naturally, we then eat the chickens, and everyone's happy.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Right, this should be food for cattle and the like, not humans. If I want a healthier burger I'll go for a turkey burger, thank you very much. You can keep your McCrapper.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My wife likes to eat mostly everything "Organic"... I find it funny that though there is no pesticides, everything oranic is grown in cow-**** instead. I will shudder when I take a bite of that organic carrot at tonight's dinner.

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Well, dung as fertilizer is something I'm completely a-ok with. Heck, at least I know where it was made (more or less). I'm not a bio-freak, but some of the things people dump on plants (or animals) are a lot worse than honest ****.

If we start looking back long enough, we're bound to find something gross or inappropriate. Generally, as long as there's been another organism on the way, I don't mind it all that much.

7. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

As much as I agree that neither poorito nor McCrapper would make it to my wish list menu, I have a hunch that this was just to show that you can turn pretty much anything into edible food with some processing and chemistry.

Whether we humans like it or not, those bacteria have some rather impressive stats. Exponential growth, even constrained such, has to become the future of food production as we (the species) continue to breed without boundaries.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

You know, when I was little, I remember reading a popular science book explaining how we can use protein made out of bacteria to alleviate world hunger. Well, the way it was described sounded a lot less icky, though - the idea was that bacteria colonies would be fed plant matter instead. Grass, for example - so basically the same as cows.

I'm starting to get disappointed by how we use science. Genetically modified foods weren't used to alleviate hunger in desert areas but to boost Monsanto's profit , now bacterial protein is used in Japan... when was the last time science did anything for everyone, anyway? The invention of TV?

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would think the idea of using the human feces was created to help save costs in the sewage industry. I'm sure the could use plant matter as well.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, the guy was asked to come up with an idea for the excess of "sewer mud". Feces steak wouldn't have been MY first idea though :)

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

That's because you aren't Japanese, Blackthorne :) . You have to admit, though, they did make use of something we produce in abundance and that won't further harm the environment.

12. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

In order to be able to mass produce food in any kind of meaningfull quantities, you need the ingredients to be both plentifull and of low cost. In the case of sewer mud, I'd hazard a guess that you actually get PAID for accepting it, assuming you go and pick it up yourself.

Not all that different than using lignin of all things to produce biofuel. Minus the icky factor, of course. Lignin makes up about a fourth of the total mass of just about any tree-like plant so availability is no problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.