1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fear and courage!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Padeen Dragonblade, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Padeen, you say that, but no. I'm sure every single person on these boards will agree with me that if someone pointed a gun at you, you'd either freeze in horror, coware on the floor, or run like hell. Just like every other person. You would have had to have gone through serious military training just to stand straight.

2. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@z(again): I wouldn't freeze in horror or run or anything else like that but I would stay calm! When you lose the fear of death then it appears that nothing else is horrificle!

Padeen Dragonblade!

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

LOL! Yeah i believe you Padeen :rolleyes: Right ;) you have no fear of death. Of course, it's all so clear now. :toofar: Lets see you not cack yourself when someone puts a gun inside your mouth.

[ September 24, 2002, 17:59: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

4. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Fine Z fine mock me if you will! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I am not mocking you Padeen. It is just obvious that you have never had a near death experiance. You act all big saying you are scared of nothing., but there is no one in the world who is scared of nothing.

6. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31

When i was 10 i was eletriciuted and i nearly died and i do not like it when People remind me of it!

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I didn't remind you of it. You're the one that started this bloody thread. Just stop trying to act like you're goddam superman or something.

[ September 24, 2002, 18:35: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

8. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31

Listen Z I was electricuted and i am not afraid of anything but maybe my spelling so there! Happy?

9. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I think you're lying. But, i'll shut up now before you start crying.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Courage is not lack of fear. Courage is in the face of your fear, you do what needs to be done.

11. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31

Haha Z veeeeeerrrrryyy funny!
    Your such a good pallie!

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I'm not not a pally anymore, gonna change this portrait soon.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Am I going to have to impose sanctions again? You both know better than to hold personal conversations on the boards; take this off-topic nonsense to email or PM.

14. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, back to the topic...
    I'm not sure what I'm afraid of. I'm grossed out by pretty much any and all insects, but only if they're crawling on me or buzzing around my head, but I don't know if you can call that scared...
    Fears:
    -Not being able to play football anymore (Seriously! Football is my release, it's one of the few things I actually *love* doing)
    -Losing control of myself (ie. going berserk, literrally..I've done it ONCE, and I refuse to do it again)
    -Losing one of my 5 senses (you know, touch, sight, hearing, taste and smell)

Non-Fears (err, whatever):
    -Death (I'm not afraid of death itself, more intrigued and anxious, afraid of the pain of dying, perhaps)
    -Intimidation (the only person who can intimidate me is my dad, and I'm getting over that)
    -Not letting my fears stop me from anything
    -mostly everything else (don't have enough time to think of everything right now)

My dad's best friend is terrified of heights, it takes a tremendous act of will to get him to climb even a five-ten foot ladder...but he's been a pilot his whole life...figure *that* one out. :p :confused:

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    BTA:
    The line between courage and stupidity is somewhat, well thin

Near-death experiences:
    - Once had a fever with a temperature of 43 degrees celsius,
    - Fell 7 meters from the roof and broke both my arms

Anyways
    scared of: heights and weirdos

not scared of: snakes, death, you, anything with more legs then me

16. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Z-Layrex, not everyone would cower in front of a gun. If I can't avoid it, I'll confront the one with the gun, I will ont leave my fate in their hands, I will stop him from hurting me or anyone else, or die trying (not kiding)!

Fears:
    - Losing those close to me due to my actions
    - Losing close friends for thies loyalty to me
    - Losing my sight (for I would be unable to see the many beauties of this world)
    - True Hatred

Non-fears:

- Death (it would rather not die because of disease and be hooked up to a machine, but if so, so be it)
    - Bugs (they're creepy, but they're not scary)
    - Hieghts
    - Love
    - Betrayl (I trust my friends)

I'm not trying to be cool when I say I don't fear death, I would gladly die for the good of others. And as for every day things, I have things which I look forward to in the future but, God has his reasons, and I will not fear our confrontation.

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Fears:
    -Having anything happen to my girlfriend or family
    -Drunks and Druggies

Not afraid of:
    -Insects
    -Social Situations
    -Being disagreed with

18. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Not afraid of:
    -death;
    -anything else (really guys, I've nothing to lose :rolleyes: ).

Afraid of:
    -being forgotten.

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... On the fear of death thing... I have been in a very dangerous situation a few times... Once I almost slid off a roof... I got this heart-in-my-throat jump thing. I was scared.. but then again, I was 9 or so...

I guess that if I were faced with a death by someone wawing a gun at my face, I am just about insane enough to try to wrestle it off.

I am no longer afraid of death> When death seems like a good option when compared to living, fear disappears. I admit to self-mutilation, and thoughts of suicide.

Death is but the journey to the next world.

Ara
    (Edwinism is contagious, it seems)

20. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, when you say "fear", do you mean things that play on your mind as frightening, or do you mean things you are phobic / almost phobic of? The following (or at least the ideas of the following) make me very uncomfortable, but won't cripple me:

Blindness.
    My actions having a terrible effect on others.
    Losing someone I love.
    Losing a limb.

Non-fears:
    I'm not going to be so bold as to say "everything else", as I'm sure I have fears that I haven't discovered yet.

Padeen / The Fallen: You can't possibly know how you'd react in any situation, because you haven't experienced every situation. As such, you can't really claim you're not frightened of anything. You can claim that you don't have any fears that you know about... but that's it.

A few years ago, I'd have fancied that I could predict how I'd react in pretty much any situation. A single event changed that for me.

I was up late one night, with a mate. We worked well in the night to get some required changes made, then went to get something to eat at about 2am. On the way back, a drunk driver chased us, attempting to ram us on several occasions. Fortunately, my mate (who was driving) is a damned good driver, and kept us both from harm. This guy chased us until we finally pulled up. He rammed us when we did. I had no idea what was going to happen. I've spent a good deal of time training martial arts and generally practicing fighting, and fancied myself a good fighter. I knew my friend was even better. I saw more than my fair share of fights growing up (and I don't mean as a spectator). But never before had I felt like I did that night. Total uncertainty. We all jumped out of our respective cars. I had no idea what was going to happen. For all I knew, the guy was going to reach across to the glove box, pull out a gun, and blow me away. Fortunately for us, the guy was unarmed, realised he was outnumbered (a guard had arrived by that stage, so it was 3 on 1), and fled.

Just after he left, the adrenaline wore off... and I shook like a leaf. I still had no idea what was going on. I'd never had that happen to me before. Why the hell was I shaking? The shaking continued for a while, and subsided into fatigue. Let me tell you... it scares the hell out of you the first time it happens to you. Never again will I attempt to predict how I'd react in a "high stress" situation.

[ September 25, 2002, 13:34: Message edited by: Judas ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.