1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite RPG

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Takara, May 18, 2006.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I was wondering what yours was. They can't include any black Isle ones like BG or PST as they are in a seperate class all to themselves. Things like Diablo, Divine Divinity, etc. Mine is Arcanum Of steamworks and magic obscura. It just does everything for me.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dungeon Siege is my favorite, though argueable as getting the RPG label for some.

If DS isn't allowed, then Dungeon Keeper. God, I loved smacking those imps around and watching them smoke to get their health back. :evil:

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    No one favourite RPG for me. PST, BG2, Arcanum (after I cooled off and thought about it), Ultima 4, Ultima Underworld, Dark Sun, Quest for Glory 3, Elvira and Might and Magic 6 would all count among the best RPGs I've played, and all deserve a special mention for one reason or another (and I'm sure I've fogotten at least one that should also be included). The hardest to defend would be QFG3, since it's more of an adventure/RPG hybrid than a true RPG.

4. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Fallout. Nothing has ever come close, not even Baldur's Gate.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and the KoTOR series.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Baldur's Gate is the absolute best for me. Ignoring those games, I'd have a hard time picking from the dozens of RPGs I have, but the Final Fantasy series has consistently churned out gems up to 8, so I'll go with the series rather than any one in particular.

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Exile III by Spiderweb Software. I lived on the game in the mid to late ninties. It may have been 2D and turn based, but the game world as massive and most of the monster/bad guy lairs where incredibly intricate and complex in regard to events triggered by your actions or puzzles required to defeat monsters. I also liked that you could do things that would instantly kill you/end the game. I.e. walking too far into the garbage disposal system in the roach lair, sleeping in an inn of a obviously supicious town where the inn keeper is a rakshasa in disguise, attacking the Emperess of the Empire or entering demon portals.

Also had a nice way of dealing out millions of plot twists and adding lots of depth to the game that only could be found through etensive exploration, proper timing, the use of proper spells or pruchases (like boats), etc...

8. Takara

Media:
    Heh, the reason I kept Baldu's gate and PST out of it is because any RPG fan would have at least one competing for the best in their opinion. I was curious as to what other games are peoples favourits. As for Fallout, it was such a struggle to choose between that and Arcanum for me. I do love them both dearly. One game I thought I might but didn't was Lionheart.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Fallout.

Ilmater's Suffering: why do you talk of 2D and turn-based as though they're bad things? I see them as positive signs...

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Because most gamers blast games for those two qualities. All my favorite RPGs have been 2D, turn based RPGs and I've never had any issue with it. A lot of the small time 2D, turn based RPGs have great story lines and all sorts of interesting features which to me are a lot more important then the appearance of the game. If one character is hard to tell from the next, should I really care?

11. Takara

Media:
    All my RPG's are 2D. Except KotOR, which I did find very enjoyable.

12. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Hm... Planescape would be the game to beat, but since its not considered...

Well, the Fallout series were great. Final Fantasy VI, VII as well. Diablo was devilishly fun.

Honorable mentions: KOTOR (never played II and the reason why KOTOR isint up there in the list is cause its a cursed multi platform release with many bugs and console-ish traits that ruined the game), Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (too many bugs, and do not really like the battle system), System Shock II

And can't really think of any others worth mentioning off the top of my head...

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

KotOR, FF7 and FF10

14. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Might and Magic series. I have never completed any of them, but I keep digging them out every so often.

Arcanum - I love this game and its skill/magic description.

Morrowind - just got into this excellent game

Baldurs Gate of course, however NWN never did it for me.

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm... KOTOR I and II were great, and so were Planescape, Fallout, and VtM: Bloodlines. Still, for a favourite I'd probably pick Baldur's Gate II. Neverwinter nights is really nice because of the many mods, although the core campaign was somewhat lacking in depth.
    Ah, arcanum... It was quite interesting, too bad I never got around to playing it for more than an hour.

16. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    The Dragon Quests, The Final Fantasies, Vampire TM : Bloodline, The Kotors...

I like RPG!

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Black Isle was the best, and I agree it was in a class by itself - BTW, Fallout was a BI game. There are some other good ones as well: Might and Magic is probably the best of the lot, at least 6&7; the Elder Scrolls are good (really like Oblivion); Sacred is pretty good and Dungeon Lords CE; System Shock II was great and there's always Neverwinter Nights (not a BI game, IIRC). But I would have to go with M&M.

18. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

There are so many amazing RPGs. Morrowind I think is my favourite, but there's also Deus Ex, Oblivion and Sacrifice. Freedom Force, the Fallouts and Anachronox are very good, too.

19. Takara

Media:
    Was Fallout a BI game? I knew it was Interplay but didn't know that it was the same group that formed BI.

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    AFAIK Fallout was most certainly not BI, Takara still an amazing game though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.