1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by angryguy, Oct 27, 2004.

1. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What are people's favourite mods? It can be so difficult to decide to install anything, especially when you consider it might mess something up. What mods are really worth it? For the record i have at the moment-

Ease of use
    Valen
    Solafein
    Item Upgrade
    Ashes of embers
    Banter packs
    hell trials (not the one by a bioware guy)
    G3 tweak pack
    D0's tweak pack
    Underrepresented items
    tactics

Of these, i would recommend ease of use, banter packs and hell trials to anyone. Great stuff. However, tactics is incredibly stupid, and i have only installed the bits to change the new forest areas. Tactics could have been so great, but it was written by such cheese merchants that it is just not fun. Thoughts anyone?

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Item Upgrade - but only for Keldorn's armour. That stuff looks sweet on him. That nice little bit of teal or whatever just makes that armour look nice. I'm playing through the Tactics mod for the first time right now, so I imagine I'll be using other items from the mod.

Ease - Solely for the option to shut up that "you must gather your party before venturing forth" crap.

Solaufein - Good mod, but it's lame how you have to practically finish the game before you get him. Luckily I have ToB.

Kelsey - Good mod. Nuff said.

Unfinished Business - Good mod, going to be better though. They're doing more and more as time goes on.

Valen is a "cheese merchant". Too powerful for my tastes.
    Almost all of Ease-Of-Use is rather silly.
    I'm trying out Ashes of Embers right now.
    I didn't even notice the difference when I installed the Banter Packs, which is a good thing because that means I can't tell the difference between the mod and the real deal.
    Gibberling Three's tweak pack is good. Especially the part where it tweaks the Weapon Animations.

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ease of Use
    Solaufein
    Item Upgrade
    Tactics

My real favorite, however, is the Rogue Rebalancing mod. Pure blessing for a fan of bards because it makes them what they should have been. Spice up your Skald or Jester with it; Blades are no longer as appealling with this installed, I think. Special HLAs, special songs, a challenging encounter and so on. Great it is.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Kelsey - He is by far the best NPC mod ever made!
    Solafein - He's #2 on the list of best NPC mods ever.
    Tactics - Well, it brings new encounters, more challenging fights, and a whole bunch of other stuff...'nuff said.
    Item Upgrade - A necessity once you get to ToB
    Ease of Use - Got to love that bottomless bag of holding!
    Flirt Packs - The name says enough! :love:
    Banter Packs - More party interactions!!! :thumb:

I usually play with a lot more, but so far those are my favorite. :rolling:

5. Madafaka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Flirt and Banter are must-haves for extended fun, but I'm currently doing that 'go-hunt-the-beverages' quest from somewhere (Gibberlings? Where did I get it? What's it called?).
    I'm more into those kinds: interactions and quests. New stuff and powerful NPCs for picking up can be fun, too, but I tend to get bored with them rather fast.
    Oh, nearly forgot: of course I have the one getting rid of the Voice of Satan ('you must'...).

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Banter packs are fun.

Dungeon Be Gone is the best for chronic restarters like myself.

7. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I never have BG2 on my pc without the G3 Tweak Pack. It removes those helm animations that I hate so much.

8. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Heh, yes, it's the G3 Anniversary Mod. Hope you're having fun. :)

9. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I hear Gibberlings Three make good mods.

10. Greystar Gems: 7/31

Other than the fixpack (which is a must have for many people, include me), I always install DungeonBeGone, aPack, Hell trials and Ease of use (not all components though) mod.

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ease of Use
    Tactics
    Item Upgrade
    Dungeon be Gone

Those are my basics. I add around them.

12. angryguy Gems: 7/31

@mystra's chosen
    yes, i agree, Valen is hideously powerful. However, she is very characterful. I actually don't use her combat skills so much, since she tends to destroy items on foes. Not good.

Oh yeah, i forgot dungeon-be-gone. Utterly crucial to enjoyment of the game.

@greystar- what is aPack?

kitrax- "Flirt Packs - The name says enough!"

Shame on you.

13. Greystar Gems: 7/31

@chiz65_: that mod improved the Thief and Bard classes (and subclasses) a lot, HLA included, and since Thief is my favorite class, it's a must have for me. You can download it at http://www.gamesector.co.yu/avenger

14. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Planar Sphere Mod is good, although many of the items are largely unbalanced. Makes a living Planar Sphere, with new quests and such, plus students and teachers practicing spells.

Another good one is aPack, which rebalances rogues and bards, improves the Shadow Thieves, and adds a fantastic new encounter just after fighting Bodhi in chapter 6.

Check the Bodies adds many new quests and, apart from the part in Candlekeep at the beginning, is my favourite mod.

I've played through mods like Solaufein and Tactics too many times to fully enjoy them anymore. I still use them, but they don't have the same impact as they had initially.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I always enjoy using Dark Ritual. Makes some encounters a bit tougher, and ads a funky store in the morning lord temple. Other SOA mods I have are things like banter packs, hell trials.

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I played through Planar Sphere and even started a review of it. I can't give it nearly as favorable review as Alavin has. There are many interesting ideas, but the mod is broken, broken, broken--so unbalancing that there is no point in playing after the mod is finished. Perhaps worst of all is the hideous grammar--the designer(s) badly need someone who speaks English as a first language to edit for them. Neat ideas, mostly good execution, terrible in every other department.

17. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The spelling and grammar of the Planar Sphere Mod was mostly fixed recently (by me :D ), with a load more of the fixes sitting on my computer waiting to be uploaded. Unbalanced items I've done nothing about, though.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I avoid most of the mods due of them being quite unbalanced. Still...

-- Virtue, adds a new aspect to reputation.
    -- Flirt- and Banter-packs, like said before.
    -- Concurrent Romances, hey; you gotta pull out the best from the previous packs. :D
    -- Cloak of Mirroring fix to get rid of that globe.
    -- Baldurdash fix-pack.
    -- Dungeon-be-gone, almost forgot this one.

In the wish-list for the Christmas:

-- New Imoen romance compatible with Concurrent Romances. ;)
    -- Finished Icewind Gate. Will never happen, I know.
    -- "Raised Difficulty Mod (RDM)", but not in the Tactics way. :nolike:

[ October 29, 2004, 21:00: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Dungeon-be-gone is a great little mod, although I'm anal enough to enjoy playing the starter dungeon time and again so much that I actually don't use that mod.

Tashia (a sorceress) is my favourite NPC mod.

20. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have to confess to being slightly perplexed at how few people recommend Unfinished Business, Quest Pack, and so on. Are we doing something wrong, or do quest mods just not cut it? Genuine curiousity here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.