1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Young Adult books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Otis, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Just curious what everyone here was partial to when they were younger readers. I can't remember too many from when I was a child, but a few stand out: "The White Mountains" trilogy by John Christopher, "The Prince in Waiting" series also by John Christopher, the Retief stories by Keith Laumer, and this strange series I can't remember much about except that it was science fiction and the protagonist had a kind of alien sidekick that looked a bit like a ghost or a bat.

Oh, and the Robots series by Asimov.

What series or books do you remember the best from your "young adult" days?

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hmm. Not really sure what you mean by young adult but when I was younger (hitting puberty ;) ) I used to read the Hardy Boys and Goosebumps. I also read the Spookesville series by Christopher Pike, that series never really got popular and ended after a 25 book run but it was effing amazing. I wish they would re-release the whole series.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    'Never got popular' and 'ended after a 25 book run' are--or should be--mutually exclusive.

Unless the publisher has no business sense whatsoever. ;)

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Belgariad and Malloreon by David Eddings. Think I read them more than ten times in my teens.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

What I meant was it didn't hit the mainstream market like goosebumps :p That was Pike's attempt at a more toned-down "adventure" type of series as opposed to his other stuff like Fear Street which was horror for young adults. He had this one book which creeped me out at the ending, one of his Ghosts of Fear Street books iirc. His The Last Vampire series was also quite good, I loved the twist in the final book.

Also they're not really "young adult" but I read them a lot back then and still read them now: anything by Agatha Christie, especially her Hercule Poirot stuff. Classic.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Christopher Pike's stuff - it has really good ideas but the writing is pretty bad. Of course, you don't really notice as a kid :)

Also - John Marsden's The Tomorrow Series. I'd recommend this to everyone, because it's pretty freaking awesome. As a 'young adult' series you'd expect it to be dumbed down, but it's not. It's oomphy, but written in such a way that pretty much anyone can read it.

7. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I'd go with Christopher Pike as well. I love many of his books, The Last Vampire, Remember Me, See you Later, Sati to name a few.

Hardy Boys were pretty good too. And I can't believe no one mentioned Enid Blyton!

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is a difference between young adult books and books read by young adults. For the longest time the Newbery Award covered both older children and young adults. Many of those winners are quite applicable (and very good).

Classic young adult books:

A Wizard of Earthsea Trilogy (plus one) by Ursula LeGuin
    The Dark is Rising Series by Susan Cooper
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMN by Robert O'Brian
    Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (a Nobel Prize winner in Literature for the scope of his work).
    Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
    Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
    Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh I agree with T2Bruno - I read most of those when I was a kid and loved them all. I think my love of seagulls today is partly inspired by Jonathon Livingston Seagull.

The Chronicles of Narnia was the first set of books that I ever read - I started reading them one night when my mother did read enough to me for my satisfaction.

Watership Down is a work of art. What a great adventure... I could go through most of TS Bruno's list with fond memories.

10. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Good list, T2Bruno.

My favorites as a young adult were "The Hobbit" and "The Chronicles of Narnia." I read them many times. Also Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon are good. Like Joacqin, I read them over and over.

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

All of Eddings books, Piers Anthony's Xanth series, also his series with Stile...Blue adept series maybe?.

I read alot of Drizzt and Elminster books as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.