1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

favorite weapon/proficiency

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ivellos the Bladesinger, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i usually go with a elf ranger with
    dual weilding
    scimitars
    long bow
    katana
    longsword

favorite weapon-
    Heartseeker +3
    celestial fury
    arrows of piercing
    arrows of fire/ice/acid
    cutthroat +4
    short sword +2
    Belm +2
    scimitar +3
    Rashad's Talon/Shazzellim(spelling?)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dual wield
    Katanas – Celestial Fury (main hand)
    Scimitars – Belm (off hand)
    Short Bows – Tungian / Tansheron / Gesen
    Clubs – Pitchwife (from the Item Upgrade mod)

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I'm a big fan of dual-wielding, but I'm currently giving the two-handed style a shot. I'm going to run my multi-F/T with staves and two-handed katanas (thanks to Idobek's tweak pack, woo hoo) and see how it goes.

4. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

i think two-handed swords are pretty powerful, Warblade+4. Carsymor +5(IIRC) Hallowed Redeemer
    but dual-weilding backstabbing does a lot of damage too :D

5. CamDawg

I want to see if the doubled chance of critical hits (especially in backstabs) is going to make up for a second weapon (and extra attack in the case of Belm). :thumb:

6. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Is the 2H katana any different from a 1H one? eg., extra damage, speed, etc.? You could get the doubled critical by using 1H style, and get an AC bonus as well.

8. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

do you mean dual weilding or is there a 2 handed katana out there?

9. CamDawg

Same stats for the weapons themselves; the only difference in the katana damage and abilities would come from the different weapon style bonuses. Two-handed style gives +1 damage and -4 weapon speed, while single weapon style is -2 AC. Both score criticals on 19 and 20s.

I really just wanted to try a backwhacking thief that uses staves, and using two-handed katanas as a secondary weapon gives me bonuses from the two-handed style while allowing me to still backstab. We'll see how it goes. :)

edit: Sorry Ivellos, missed your post. Idobek's pack gives every existing katana in the game the ability to be wielded two-handed. They each get one of the little buttons like the Rod of Lordly Might so you can change it from the one to two-handed version. So you could wield Celestial Fury with an offhand weapon, or use it as a two-hander.

10. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

is Idobek's pack a mod?
    ive never heard of it before

11. CamDawg

It's a tweak pack and I believe Idobek just finished it. Right now I'm just using the two-handed bastard swords and two-handed katana components.

Idobek's Tweak Pack

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

It really depends on which class. When I use a multi-class fighter/something I usually go with dual-wield because, as a multi-class fighter they don't level up as fast and therefore don't get extra attacks. Usually Katana's and Longswords.

If a Ranger, I almost always go with dual-wield because of the two free points. Scimitars, axes and Flails are my weapons of choice.

Paladin - Two Handed style/2H sword and Halberd
    Cleric - S&S style/Mace, sling and hammer
    Thief - Single/Dagger, Katana and Short Sword
    Druid - S&S style/Staff and sling
    Mage - none/Staff, dagger and sling
    Barbarian - Two Handed Style/Halberd and 2H Sword

13. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31

I tend to either dual wield or go two-handed weapon style.

I dual - katanas, scimitars, flails, warhammers, maces, bastard swords, and long swords.

I two-hand - All two-handed weapons

I rarely use long range for some reason, and I usually have a lot of magic users in my party..

14. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

i think (dwarf)Barbarians would be deadly dual-weilding axes

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.