1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Gods?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Elwithral Irenicus, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Talos kicks ass. Their philosophy couldn't be more true. Life is indeed a chaotic and random mess, and it's true that we never know that the day we're living might be our last.

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Nerull rules. He's actually a God of Death that's like what he's supposed to be: evil. Kelemvor, Osiris, blah...all those are pushover LN buggers with no sense of EVIL. But Nerull actively goes around and KILL PEOPLE! Or something...

Greyhawk gods seem pretty cool, not as cluttered as FR gods. I agree with Eldular, Velsharoon is a great God too.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oghma. That's the knowledge one, right?

5. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, Oghma is the god of knowledge, and invention.

Kelemvor was first a good god of death. Giving a good after life to those that were good, and a bad one for those that were bad. But he changed and now treats every faithless and false the same. When your the god of death your job isn't to kill people, but to take care of those who have died correctly, judging them. Now if you're the god of murder like Cyric, then your job IS to kill.

EDIT: And gods of death aren't supposed to be evil, their supposed to be neutral. Gods of murder and undeath are the ones who should be evil.

6. theGodless Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Media:
    In contradiction of my nick I have quite a few favorites amongst the gods for example "Abbathor": Greed is my middle name. "Tiamat": again the greed and with a titles such as "Dark Lady" and "Nemesis of the Gods" you cant go wrong . In addition I always felt compelled by "Grumbar" for some reason

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Kelemvor was good? I thought he was LN or TN all the time... After all, a good god of death is bad for the job, giving people second chances at life for everything they feel like doing :) And an evil one is just as hopeless, he'd clutter his domain with all the people he kills.
    Frankly, a death god is supposed to be neutral. After all, isn't death itself so?

8. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Some possible spoilers if you have not read 'Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad'.

Kelemvor was a good god of death, his realm was divided into several areas depending on what bad or good things you have done. If you died doing good (such as saving someone from certain death) yet you served no deity, your afterlife would be a great one. Yet, thieves and other criminals would spend their afterlife in terror. So all the courageous heroes would easily give their life away knowing what great afterlife was to greet them. Yet all the cowards and criminals would be scared to die and rule the land, therefore he would weaken some of the other gods and give strength to others, seriously breaking the balance. He was sentenced to a trial by the other gods and he saw his mistakes and became a neutral god of death, as he should. Mystra (Midnight) had some-what the same problem.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Hm, I see. Still, I would not consider him especially good, maybe just - like Helm, for example. Anyway, I considered Kelemvor an interesting deity to serve, good or no. Aside from that... Oghma maybe, Tyr, Selune and maybe Azuth.
    From the Greyhawk ones... Ehlonna, Obad-Hai, Wee Jas.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm not really at ease with highly involving roleplaying when religions come into play. ;) However, having played the BG and IWD saga, as well as NWN, and read a lot of PNP material and novels, I can say that I react more positively to some names than to others.

From an anthropological point of view (believe me or not, I'm a could have been archaelogist ;) ), I am somewhat intrigued by Selune. I also have a thing for elves along with their pantheon, although I don't really know much about particular deities (I've also been becoming more and more appreciative of dwarves).

I do like Helm for some quite personal reasons, even though he isn't Good-aligned. I think I like him more than Tyr and his clique. I still like Ilmater and used to like him a lot more, but I'm not a big fan of all related philosophical views, and not a big fan of Tyr's triad, either.

Mystra scores somewhat highly, as does Kelemvor, but I haven't had much experience. My favourite IWD2 character was a paladin of Mystra and a diviner wizard.

I like Mielikki but, realistically looking, she wouldn't like my spellcasting style, given what a fierce enemy of fire magic she is.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pfsh! Only by a mere 3 weeks... :p
    Indeed I like Lathander. I like the heavenly bodies, so Selune makes a nice deity, too.

Kelemvor, Chauntea, Mielikki and Horus-Re are good enough to mention.

I have a nag for nature, undeadhunting, the afterlife and heavenly bodies.

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

If we're talking heavenly bodies, I'd rather go for Sharess and Sune. At the same time.

*wrinkles his eyebrows in a 'dirty old man' kind of way*

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wanted to make that joke, but found it to 'obvious'. ;)

Sharess and Sune are quite okay, btw. But their dogma's seem vague, except for whispering 'Have Fun'.

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

a rather unique message given its divine source, is it not ;)

15. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I'm going to tout Ilmater. I like the more subtle and enduring approach to heroism that worship of Ilmater promotes, and the descriptions I've read of his avatar sound pretty fun. A kindly looking old man who cracks and crunches as he walks with the sound of broken bones. Still manages to be a paladin/monk, to boot. Ilmater all the way.

[ November 08, 2005, 04:06: Message edited by: Will ]

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Bast, Ghaunadaur, Shar and... *looks it up* Blibdoolpoolp. Wish there was a mod allowing for a NPC priest of Ghaunadaur and/or Blib.

And Loviatar is definitely freaky.

edit -- Oh, just one god. Need to pay more attention here. Hmm... probably Shar. Or Ghaunadaur.

17. Milotus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Everyone have a favourite god from Faerun, never played that area ever...

I have played only Oerth campaigns. From there my favourite god is Hextor, God of Tyranny.

18. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ilmater is the god of the Lady Paladin I use and she is the religious character I use the most, so Ilmater ends up being my favorite because I've become the most use to role playing his servants.

My favored Lawful Evil character is rather obsessive with Helm, so Helm is my favorite per say neutral god, while Bane is my favorite evil god.

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well I am a morning person so figure it out.

20. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31

I am a fan of Lady Tymora!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.