1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Forgotten Realms Deities?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Beren, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mine,

Torm, stood up to Bane despite knowing that it was likely to lead to his death.

Correllon Larethian, I like playing Elf warrior/magic types in my games, and Corellon fits the bill perfectly. Bonus points for taking out Gruumsh's eye.

Myrkul, after watching what was left him speak during Mask of the Betrayer, I find Myrkul a far more compelling and frightening kind of evil than other deities like Bane, Cyric, or Bhaal. He's not content with earthly dominion or death of the physical body. He's explicitly out to spread misery and suffering both in this life and the beyond.

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oghma. For an insatiable curiosity shared by most of my PCs.

Eilistraee. She's like Corellon, but I prefer the Underdark setting.

Jergal. When three of the strongest mortals came before him in an attempt to usurp his power, he (out of boredom) simply steps down and starts a very, very interesting chain of events, apparently out of sheer whimsy. Woot.
    I'm of the mind that he's actually True Neutral and uses the "Lawful" facade to discourage anyone who would think that the Lord of the End of Everything is anything more than a boring old scribe.

Shaundakul. God of wanderers and portals, most of my PCs revere either him or Oghma.

Leira. A dead power, sadly. Because when you think about it, knowing when people are lying or hiding something is about the same as knowing when people are telling the truth or speaking openly. The tricky part is when you need specific information, and that's up to your PCs diplomacy/intelligence/wisdom.

Edit: Gwaeron Windstrom->Shaundakul

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Agree! Jergal is way of the Woot. Talk about going in style!

I personally always go with Auril. Being a fan of Winter myself, and therefore with everything Icewind Dale/Tundra/Frozen, I made her a mandatory choice for all my cleric or Ranger type of characters. And beside, one gotta love the way she climbed the ladder.

Eilistraee, simply for the reason that dancing naked under the moon with a bunch of nekkkid hot drows is of the good.
    My Bard characters fancy her! ;)

Shar; Cuz the Shadow Weave is cool! Too bad I never had the chance to play a Shadow-Magic Character.

And Bhaal for the frak of ti.
    Simply because of him we had some really cool adventures with <charname> Bhaalspawn

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Nice question, Beren!

A few of mine:
    - Shaundakul: for representing that wanderlust
    - Leira: obscure, but would be fun to play with
    - Cyric: yes, he's maniacal, but I kind of like the crazed underdog against everyone
    - Velsharoon: for being the archetypical Evil Necromancer
    - Azuth: Mystra's underdog
    - Lathander: for having an interesting overzealous/inquisition dark side

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Kossuth: 'Cause we like to watch them burnsssesssss..........

Bane: Lord of Strife is always the Arch-Villian

Tempus: God Battle, need I say more?

Torm the True: Torm Rocks. Note when he stood up to Bane, Bane was a Greater God, Torm was a Demi-Power. Awesomeness.

Hoar: The Doombringer!

Moander: Because it seems like Moander never dies.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    CHARNAME

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm, there are quite a few good ones, here are some of mine.

Jergal: Understated, old, powerful, mysterious... not half bad as god of death. Great for a necromancer or archivist.

Kelemvor: Another deity of death that works very well with Jergal, but with a more martial bent. Being a paladin of the god of death can be quite cool.

Mystryl: Other settings have deities of magic. FR has a deity that is the conscience of magic itself. The new incarnations are less cool, but still not bad.

Ilmater: One of the most altruistic deities, with a focus on not just stopping those who would hurt others, but helping those already hurt.

Selune: Oldest good deity in the realm, her influence is in many things, and who doesn't like a good full moon? As of Champions of Valor, she can also (finally) have paladins, too :happy: .

Sharess: Sure, everyone makes jokes about the clergy and temples, but everyone seeks them out at times. Yet underneath the hedonism and self-indulgement is a deity of war that made Set shake. Pussycats can be lionesses in disguise.

Mask: One of the best thief gods: sophisticated, ruthless, and cunning... if only he wasn't relegated to being Cyric's b...h.

Bane: old school lawful evil deity, and quite useful when you need to channel that Darth Vader vibe.

Beshaba: the concept of bringing someone their (well-deserved) bad luck can be incredibly cool if done right. That the goddess is so gorgeous people go insane from seeing her is an extra.

8. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

I'd have to go with Bane here

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I have always liked that side of him. Also that halfling defending god type who begins with A, for pretty much the same reason.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Mieliki. Allways had a soft sport for the nature dieties, even though this one is just ripped off from norse mythology, though. (Mieliki being the finnish version of Freya).

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Arvoreen? I thought it was a defender deity, but I don't remember it having a heresy-sniffing feel.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Gruumsh. He's a manly guy. Very earthy.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Lathander! I like spring and undeadbashing, hope and renewal. And I wonder what secret, risky plans he's got this time.

Hoar: Poetic justice. Payback time, mot#erf*%ker!
    Auril: The Frostmaiden. I find icestorms, avalanches and glaciers far more interesting than fire and pools of lava...
    Selune: The moon's always had something mystical.
    Uthgar: Northern barbarian god with multiple totem aspects.
    Mielikki: Forest dwelling lady, not in too deep as Silvanus.
    Chauntea: A practical goddess to common, rural people.

Domains: Sun (!), plant, earth, travel, cold, renewal, retribution.
    My perfect setting would take place in a cold, northern, rural place near the edge of society, close to a city and involve gnomes, giants, blighters, farmers, and lots of undead. (Think Icewind Dale or Winterfell/the Wall)

14. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Lathander, Ilmater, and Tyr get points for actually having interesting portfolios you might get a decent moral code for. It's hard for me to roleplay good aligned clerics if I can't get a feel of their morality from their chosen god.

Silvanus is my personal favorite, simply because the idea of a giant tree god that is the ruler of all nature is just too awesome not to like.

Interesting side not on silvanus: I once looked him up and I get a result from the Nag Hamadi library, something called the Teachings of Silvanus. Being a part of Gnostic Christianity makes him ten times cooler.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Mystra. I always play mages first.

16. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Jergal's nonchalance towards supreme power is super cool.

I'm very intrigued by Amaunator, the dead god from the Umar Hills temple. I think it'd be just like me to ally with someone who no longer had any power rather than with some entity who could actually be of use to me.

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Amaunator has been ressurected for the 4th edition, I think.

18. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Besides wasn't Lathander really Amaunator all along?

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Could be. Not sure. I lost track of the forgotten realms when 4th came out and ruined it.
    I do seem to remember both being sort of a sun-god, though. They had the same domains too, I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
  20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    (I know nothing about 4E.)
    AFAIK, Amaunator is much more Lawful than Lathander. Orderly and stern with a lot of rituals.
    It seems to me that Horus-Re is much more like Amaunator than Lathander is.
    It's an interesting thing, though, with the cults and heresy in the Morninglord's church and tales of Amaunator's comeback in a possible "Noon Cataclysm". :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.